Country info: Czech Republic (Česká republika)
Rail companies: CD (České Dráhy)
RJ (Regio Jet)
LE (Leo Express)
Czech Rail Network Map
Currency: 1 euro = app. 27 Czech koruna (CZK)
Train travel in Czech Republic: train types, tickets, fares, discounts & other info
National Train Service:
Train types in Czech Republic: Local, Accelerated, Fast, Express, InterCity, EuroCity/EuroNight, Super City, RailJet & private companies trains (RegioJet & Leo Express)
- Osobní or Local (marked as Os on CD website): local & suburban service on short distance routes with stops on all the station, no seat reservation required
- Spěšný or Accelerated (marked as Sp on CD website): medium distance regional service with stops at major station, no seat reservation required
- Rychlík or Fast (marked as R & Rx on CD website): long distances service connecting major Czech cities & towns, seat reservation is not compulsory, but can be made ('Rx' denotes fast trains of "higher quality", e.g. with restarurant carriage)
- Express (marked as Ex on CD website): long distance express service between biggest Czech cities and towns, seat reservation is not compulsory, but can be made
- InterCity (marked as IC on CD website): domestic & international service, seat reservation is not compulsory, but can be made
- EuroCity / Euronight (marked as EC/EN on CD website): international daytime & overnight trains, seat reservation is not compulsory (unless couchette or sleeper), but can be made
- SuperCity (marked SC on CD website): domestic & international daytime high-speed pendolino trains, seat reservation required
- RailJet (marked RJ on CD website): international high-speed trains connecting Czech Republic and Austria, seat reservation compulsory only in "business section"
- RegioJet / Leo Express (marked as RJ & LE): domestic & international trains operated by private companies
*Seat reservations in Czech Republic: up to 250 CZK (depending on distance traveled) in SuperCity (SC) & RailJet trains (RJ) or 35 CZK (all other domestic trains, but in case passenger purchases online ticket via CD eShop seat reservation is free of charge)
Sleeper reservations (journeys within Czech Republic in CD & ZSSK carriages): 6 berth couchette - 168 CZK, 4 berth - 252 CZK, sleepers - 336 CZK (Tourist), 504 CZK (Double) & 1176 CZK (Single)
NB: Czech Railways (CD) surcharge for buying tickets on the train after boarding at an attended station is 40 CZK
Discounts, special offers & ways to save money for passengers traveling by train in Czech Republic (CD, RegioJet, Leo Express):
- First Minute Česko (Včasná jízdenka, previously also known as SporoTickets): special discounted tickets for variety of journeys within Czech Republic (between 114 selected cities, but the journey should be at least 51km). First Minute tickets can be purchased online (from CD eShop), from CD ticket machines or ticket counters at the stations (if >1 day in advance). First Minute Česko tickets sold under the principle - early purchase ensures cheaper final price (e.g lets take popular trip from Prague to Brno: standard full fare ticket for such journey cost 348 CZK, while First Minute Česko tickets bought in advance start from only 189 CZK or the same comparison for trip from Prague to Plzen - 160 CZK (standard fare) vs. 95 CZK (First Minute ticket), from Prague to Ostrava it's 482 CZK vs. 199 CZK, etc.)
- Action Ticket (Akční jízdenka & SuperAkční jízdenka): special promo offer ticket (one way & return) for travels between selected cities (Prague to Ostrava region & Zlín, Prague to Brno, Prague to Hradec Králové, Prague to Plzeň, Prague to České Budějovice, Brno to Olomouc, Brno to Prostějov, Brno to Uherské Hradiště & Brno to Zlín). For instance such 'Action Ticket' from Brno to Prague cost just 219 CZK (one way) or 438 CZK (return), while otherwise one-way full fare ticket price for the same connection is 348 CZK or another example Ostrava to Prague 295 CZK (Action Ticket) vs. 482 CZK (standard fare), etc. Recently CD also introduced even cheaper action ticket called SuperAkční jízdenka: Prague to Ostrava for only 190 CZK, etc.
- Return Ticket (Zpáteční jízdenka): passengers receive 5% discount on all the standard full fare tickets, if they purchase return ticket for any connection within Czech Republic (NB: CD return tickets are valid for two days, i.e. until the midnight of the next day)
- Group Ticket (Skupinová jízdenka): when traveling in groups of 2 and more persons, first passenger pays full fare price, second passengers receives automatic 25% discount, while third as well as every additional passenger after that receive 50% discount. Group discount is valid only for 2nd class tickets & can be combined with Return Ticket discount (=additional 5% off)
- All-Day Ticket (Celodenní jízdenka, previously known as CD-NET): day pass for either entire Czech rail network or just one Czech region. Passenger can travel the entire day without any limit on distance or number of trains used, All-Day Ticket is valid in 2nd class only & only for CD operated trains (exception are trains operated by GW Train Regio, a. s. and Vogtlandbahn GmbH). All-Day Ticket can be purchased for any day, plus it can be always transfered to the other person. All-Day Ticket for entire Czech Republic is only 579 CZK, while All-Day region Central Bohemia ticket is 239 CZK, All-Day region Ústí nad Labem or South Moravia or Moravia-Silesia tickets are 209 CZK, All-Day region Pardubice or Olomouc region tickets are 189 CZK, All-Day region for South Bohemia or Plzeň or Hradec Králové are 179 CZK & All-Day region Karlovy Vary or Liberec or Vysočina or Zlín tickets are 159 CZK. Map of the Czech regions can be found here
- Group Weekend Ticket (Skupinová víkendová jízdenka, previously also known as SONE): group/family pass for either entire Czech rail network or just one Czech region during the entire day on Saturday, Sunday or state holiday. Group Weekend Ticket is valid for up to 2 adults + 3 children & can be used only for CD operated trains, however without limitation on distance or number of trains used during validity period. Group Weekend Ticket for the entire Czech Republic cost 679 CZK (or 829 CZK with included city transport (MHD) pass in Prague), Group Weekend region Central Bohemia ticket is 319 CZK (or 444 CZK with city transport (MHD) pass in Prague), Group Weekend Ústí nad Labem or South Moravia or Moravia-Silesia tickets are 279 CZK, Group Weekend region Plzeň or Pardubice or Olomouc tickets are 269 CZK, Group Weekend region South Bohemia or Pardubice or Hradec Králové tickets are 259 CZK & Group Weekend region Karlovy Vary or Liberec or Vysočina or Zlín tickets are 229 CZK. Map of the Czech regions can be found here
- RegioJet: passengers intending to travel on line Prague-Pardubice-Olomouc-Ostrava-Havirov-Zilina-Poprad-Kosice & Prague-Pardubice-Olomouc-Prerov-Otrokovice-Stare Mesto besides using CD trains can also choose to travel with private rail company RegioJet (rail division of the well-known Student Agency bus company). RegioJet basically competes with CD here, so quite often tend to offer pretty good deals on train tickets. Taking this fact into account potential passenger should simply compare CD offers (First Minute, Action Ticket) and RegioJet tickets price for the date & time he or she wants to travel on. Why not to save some money and travel cheaper?
- Leo Express: since 2013 passengers planning to travel on the line Prague-Pardubice-Olomouc-Ostrava-Bohumin-Zilina-Poprad-Kosice/Presov & Prague-Pardubice-Olomouc-Prerov-Otrokovice-Stare Mesto besides using CD or RegioJet trains can as well travel with private rail company Leo Express (previously known as Rapid Express). Once again it is possible to say that competition between rail companies creates miracles in terms of ticket fare & deals offered by competing companies, so the ticket fare for Leo Express trains can be lower than the those offered by CD or RegioJet.
International Train Service:
a) Regular discounts
- 55% discount on SCIC-NRT tariff tickets in connection Czech Republic - Slovakia (so-called sousedská přeprava)
- 50% discount on SCIC-EWT tariff tickets in connection Czech Republic - Lithuania
- 40% (or 50% for groups) discount on SCIC-NRT tariff tickets in return in connection Czech Republic - Poland (so-called MOST tariff, ticket valid for one month)
- 40% discount on SCIC-NRT tariff tickets in return connection Czech Republic - Budapest (sold only with starting station Prague or Brno)
- 30% discount on SCIC-NRT tariff tickets in return connection Czech Republic - Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, FYR Macedonia (all via Slovakia)
- 30% off Czech Republic – Russia/Ukraine connections (including via Slovakia)
Passengers can also take advantage of the special Multilateral Agreement between number of Central European railway companies. Agreement presupposes 30% (or 40% for youth<26 years old and 50% for groups more than 6 passengers) discount from standard SCIC-NRT tariff fare for any return ticket purchased for connections between countries participants of the tariff Agreement (Czech Republic (CD), Hungary (MAV), Romania (CFR), Poland (PKP), Slovakia (ZSSK), Bulgaria (BZD), Serbia (ZS) and FYR Macedonia (MZ)
However potential passengers need to be careful and consider possible bilateral agreements between Czech Railways (CD) and rail companies in other countries (later offer cheaper price at the end). E.g. when traveling from Czech Republic to Poland, Slovakia and Budapest it's cheaper to purchase tickets with help of other discounts (MOST discount for ticket to Poland, discount Czech Republic-Slovakia (called 'sousedská přeprava') and special 40% discount Prague/Brno-Budapest)
b) Special offers (SparSchiene)
Ticket offers with limited number of tickets per each departure (purchase in advance required):
- Germany: First Minute Europe (Včasná jízdenka Evropa) offer: from Prague to Berlin (seats from 14 euro), from Prague to Dresden (seats from 14 euro); from Brno to Berlin (seats from 34 euro), from Brno to Dresden (seats from 24 euro); from Prague to Munich (seats from 14 euro); from Plzen to Munich (seats from 11 euro); from Prague to Hamburg (seats from 19 euro); from Brno to Hamburg (seats from 44 euro); from Prague to Nurnberg (seats from 19 euro); from Plzen to Nurnberg (seats from 9 euro); from Prague to Leipzig (seats from 24 euro); from Prague to Frankfurt am Main (from 19 euro); from Prague to Regensburg (seats from 12 euro); from Plzen to Regensburg (seats from 9 euro); from Cheb to Nurnberg (seats from 9 euro); Marianske Lazne to Nurnberg (seats from 9 euro), etc. SparNight offer on CNL (40458 from Prague to Cologne and return via Berlin, Dortmund, Dusseldorf & 458/459 Kopernikus from Prague to Zurich and return via Dresden, Leipzig, Frankfurt and Basel) and EuroNight (EN 476/477 Metropol from Budapest to Berlin and return via Bratislava and Prague) trains to Germany - seats from 29 euro, couchettes from 49 euro and sleepers from 69 euro
- Austria: First Minute Europe (Včasná jízdenka Evropa) offer: from Prague to Vienna (seats from 19 euro in 2nd class or 39 euro 1st class); from Brno to Vienna (seats from 9 euro); from Ostrava to Vienna (seats from 14 euro); from Prague to Linz (seats from 14 euro); from Prague to Salzburg (seats from 19 euro); from Prague to Bregenz (seats from 19 euro); from Prague to Graz (seats from 24 euro); from Brno to Graz (seats from 14 euro); from Prague to Klagenfurt, Villach (from 19 euro). SparNight offer from Prague to Vienna with EuroNight 476/477 'Metropol' trains - seats from 29 euro, 6 berth couchettes 49 euro, 4 berth couchette 59 euro, 3 bed sleeper 69 euro, double sleeper 79 euro & single sleeper 139 euro
- Denmark: from Prague to Copenhage (København) & from Prague to Århus via Hamburg (seats from 59 euro); from Brno to Copnehagen or Arhus (seats from 69 euro)
- France: from Prague to Strasbourg (with DB IC bus) from 19 euro
- Netherlands: from Prague to Amsterdam (CityNightLine overnight train 456/457 'Phoenix' via Berlin, Dortmund, Cologne, Düsseldorf) seats from 29 euro, 6 berth couchettes 49 euro, 4 berth couchette 59 euro, double sleeper 79 euro, single sleeper 139 euro, double sleeper deluxe 119 euro & single sleeper deluxe 199 euro
- Hungary: from Prague to Budapest (seats from 20 euro in 2nd class or 35 euro in 1st class, couchettes 6 bed - 29 euro, couchette 4 bed - 39 euro, sleepers 3 bed (T3) - 49 euro, sleeper double - 59 euro & sleeper single - 99 euro), from Brno to Budapest (seats from 12 euro in 2nd class or 27 euro in 1st class), from Ostrava to Budapest (seats from 16 euro in 2nd class or 31 euro in 1st class)
- Poland: from Prague to Warsaw (seats from 27 euro, couchettes from 34 euro, sleepers from 38 euro), from Prague to Krakow (seats from 22 euro, couchettes from 29 euro, sleepers from 33 euro), from Prague to Wroclav (seats from 11 euro); from Prague to Klodzko (seats from 9 euro); from Pardubice to Wroclav (seats 7 euro); from Pardubice to Klodzko (seats from 5 euro)
- Slovenia: from Prague to Ljubljana (seats from 39 euro), from Brno to Ljubljana (from 29 euro)
- Slovakia (daytime service): from Prague to Bratislava (seats from 15 euro), from Prague to Žilina (seats from 9 euro), from Prague to Martin (seats from 9 euro), from Prague to Nove Zamky (seats from 18 euro), from Prague to Zvolen, Banska Bystrica, Poprad-Tatry (seats from 13 euro), from Prague to Košice (seats from 18 euro) & many other destinations in Slovakia from Prague, Brno, Ostrava, Pardubice, Přerov, Ústí nad Labem, Olomouc, Otrokovice
- Slovakia (overnight service): Prague to Kosice 6 berth couchettes from 21 euro, 4 berth couchette from 24 euro & 3 bed sleepers (T3) from 27 euro, etc.
- Switzerland: from Prague to Zurich (CityNightLine overnight train 458/459 'Kopernikus' via Dresden, Leipzig, Frankfurt, Basel) seats from 47 euro, 6 berth couchettes from 55 euro, sleepers from 85 euro, etc.
*"One-way online tickets can be purchased only from the Czech Republic and not in the opposite direction (to Czech Republic). To purchase an online ticket in the direction to Czech Republic it is necessary to purchase an online ticket from the Czech Republic, thus have two one way tickets (there & back), both online tickets must be presented for inspection & stamping to the Czech Railways' on-board crew or CD station counter
Czech Railways (CD) also allow purchase of discounted tickets where final destination outside Czech Republic is not the same (meaning that passenger can purchase tickets from Prague to Berlin there & from Munich to Prague back, from Prague to Vienna there & from Linz to Prague back etc.), matters only destination country and not exact city. As result passengers only responsibility is to validate return ticket prior to leaving Czech Republic, otherwise the ticket will not be valid
c) CityStars (must be purchased at least 3 days in advance, except CityStars to Slovakia)
- City Star Slovakia: Prague to Bratislava (40,60 euro), Prague to Kosice (65,80 euro), Prague to Poprad-Tatry (58 euro), Brno to Bratislava (15,20 euro) etc.
- City Star Austria
- City Star Germany: Prague to Berlin (96,20 euro), Prague to Dresden (42,20 euro), from Prague to Munich via Wurth im Wald (56 euro), Brno to Berlin (126,70 euro)
- City Star Hungary: Prague to Budapest (2 passengers - 173 euro, 3 passenger - 254 euro)
- City Star Bulgaria: Prague to Sofia (2 passengers 311 euro), from Prague to Burgas or Varna (189,2 euro), Brno to Burgas (154 euro)
- City Star Croatia: Prague to Zagreb via Austria (2 passengers 304,60 euro)
- City Star Montenegro: Prague to Bar (2 passengers 290 euro)
- City Star Denmark
- City Star Netherlands
- City Star Switzerland
- City Star Romania: Brno to Bucharest (2 passengers 218,80 euro)
- City Star Slovenia: Prague to Ljubljana (2 passengers 309,60 euro)
- City Star FYR Macedonia
- City Star Serbia: Prague to Belgrade (2 passengers 233 euro)
- City Star Greece
Local and short distance cross-border connections from Czech Republic to neighboring countries:
- RailJet Spezial (4 day validity return tickets): special relational offer for journeys from Prague, Pardubice, Česká Třebová, Brno or Břeclav to Austria (Wien, Flughafen Wien, Mürzzuschlag, Kapfenberg, Bruck an der Mur and Graz), e.g. Prague to Vienna (68,30 euro or 74,50 with pass for Vienna city transport), Brno to Vienna (38 euro or 44,20 with pass for Vienna city transport), Prague to Graz (131,50 euro), etc.
- Group Weekend Ticket purchased in Czech Republic from CD is valid till Austrian border stations Gmünd, Hohenau, Retz & Summerau
- EURegio Austria: from České Budějovice to Linz (10,55 euro), from Znojmo to Vienna (9,75 euro), from Brno to Vienna (11,55 euro), from České Budějovice to Vienna (19,20 euro), from České Velenice to Gmünd (1,60 euro), etc.
- Vltava-Danube Ticket: ticket for one-way journeys between South Bohemia and Austria (map of validity), price is 20,50 euro (adults) or 12,30 euro (children 6 to 15 years old)
- Group Weekend Ticket purchased in Czech Republic from CD is valid till German border stations Bad Brambach, Bärenstein, Furth im Wald, Johanngeorgenstadt, Klingenthal, Schirnding, Schöna & Zittau
- Group Weekend Ticket +Germany (previously known as SONE+DB) – similar offer as Group Weekend Ticket (see above), but includes neighboring regions of Germany (see map here). Group Weekend Ticket+Germany price is 779 CZK (if valid for the entire Czech network) or from 329 to 379 CZK (if valid within one Czech region only)
- Labe-Elbe Ticket: one-day network pass valid for several operators (rail, buses, municipal) in neighboring regions of Czech Republic and Germany. Labe-Elbe Ticket can be used in a specified area on both sides of the border. Labe-Elbe one-day network ticket for one passenger is 250 CZK, for 2-5 passengers - 550 CZK
- EgroNet Ticket: day pass for the travels by train, bus or municipal transport in parts of four regions - part of the Karlovy Vary region and in selected districts of Bavaria, Thuringia and Saxony – in the Egrensis Euroregion. EgroNet one-day network ticket for one person is 200 CZK, two - 300 CZK, three - 400 CZK, etc.
- EURO NISA Ticket (previously known as Libnet+): day pass for trains and other municipal transport in the borderland regions of Czech Republic (Liberec region), Poland & Germany. EURO NISA ticket 160 CZK for one person or 320 CZK for group of 2-5 passengers.
- Group Weekend Ticket purchased in Czech Republic from CD is valid till the Polish border stations Głuchołazy, Chalupki, Miedzylesie, Zebrzydowice, Lubawka and Jakuszyce + same validity option is offered with All-Day Ticket. In both cases crossing the border is allowed only in Os & Sp trains
- Group Weekend Ticket +Poland - Czech pass which for 779 CZK allows not only travel on Czech rail network, but also to neighboring regions of Poland (see map here). Also available Moravia-Silesia/Pardubice/Hradec Králové/Liberec regions +Poland Tickets which cost from 329 to 379 CZK (depenging on Czech region)
- Travel to Głuchołazy with Czech domestic tariff: ticket from Ostrava to Głuchołazy 136 CZK one way or 258 CZK return, from Šumperk to Głuchołazy 123 CZK one way or 234 CZK return
- Special cross-border fares for particular cross-border connections: Petrovice u Karviné to Zebrzydowice, from Český Těšín to Cieszyn & from Bohumín to Chalupki one-way ticket is 16 CZK, from Lichkov to Miedzylesie one way ticket for only 1,40 euro (return tickets are double the price of one-way ticket)
- EURO NISA Ticket: day pass for trains and other municipal transport in the borderland regions of Czech Republic (Liberec region), Poland & Germany. EURO NISA ticket 160 CZK for one person or 320 CZK for group of 2-5 passengers.
- Group Weekend Ticket purchased in Czech Republic from CD ticket counter (NOT online via eShop) is valid till Slovak border stations Vrbovce, Čadca, Strelenka, Horné Srnie & Kúty
- Special cross-border fares for short distance journeys (<52 km from the border) via Kúty Gr., Vrbovce Gr., Nemšová Gr., Horní Lideč Gr. & Čadca Gr. Valid only for Os, Sp & R trains (e.g. Český Těšín - Žilina for 3,40 euro)
How to Buy Train Tickets in Czech Republic:
National (domestic) & many international tickets (including discounted offers) along with seat/bed reservations can be purchased via Czech Railways (CD) eShop - cd.cz/eshop
Do you still have further questions or want to share your own travel experience? You are welcome on our Forum page
Information contained on this website is for general information purposes only. While we make every attempt to manage and update all the data regarding ticket fares, discounts, travel options etc., EuropeTrainsGuide.com gives no assurance or warranty regarding the accuracy, timeliness, or applicability of any of the content or information on the site.
EuropeTrainsGuide.com is not a profit oriented company or travel agency, we just a small website created by group of rail fans in order to share knowledge & expertise about traveling by train in Europe. Therefore, we’ll appreciate any help/corrections from your side, in case you’ve noticed a mistake or know some additional information that might help other fellow travelers please contact us at
, lets together make European rail travel easier & cheaper