Country info: Poland (Polska)
Rail companies: PKP (Polskie Koleje Państwowe): PKP-IC (long-distance trains) & PKP-PR (regional trains)
Timetables and fares (for journeys in Poland) can be checked via www.rozklad.pkp.pl
How to Buy train Tickets in Poland? We have a Step by Step Guide
Polish Rail Network Map
Currency : 1 euro = app. 4.15 Polish zloty (PLN)
Train travel in Poland: train types, tickets, fares, discounts & other useful info
National Train Service:
Train types in Poland: Suburban, Regio, InterRegio/RegioExpress, TLK, Express, ExpressInterCity & international EuroCity/Euronight trains.
Suburban & Local trains in Poland mainly operated by small companies, while regional & long-distance routes are split between two major players - PKP PR (Przewozy Regionalne, operating Regio, InterRegio, RegioExpress trains) and PKP InterCity (operating TLK, Ex, EIC & all the international trains)
- Suburban (SKM & WKD) - Szybka Kolej Miejska (Warsaw metropolitan area and Tricity (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot area)) & Warszawska Kolej Dojazdowa (Warsaw) urban & commuter service, no seat reservation required
- Regio (marked REG on PKP website) – regional service (previously known as Osobowy (Os)), no seat reservation required, operated by PKP Przewozy Regionalne. Also in the same category can be mentioned regional railways in Poland (like Koleje Dolnoslaskie (KD), Koleje Slaskie (KŚ), Koleje Wielkopolskie (KW), Koleje Mazowieckie (KM) & Arriva)
- InterRegio/RegioExpress (marked as IR & RE on PKP website) – medium distance service, no seat reservation required, but you need a special tariff ticket (RE is more expensive than IR, but still cheaper than TLK tariff), operated by PKP Przewozy Regionalne
- TLK (Tanie Linie Kolejowe, marked as TLK on PKP website) - long-distance service (previously known as Pospieszny(P)), seat reservation required (3 PLN), however also can be issued "blank reservation" (doesn't not guarantee a seat)
- Express (marked as Ex on PKP website) - long-distance service, seat reservation required (13 PLN), operated by PKP InterCity
- Express InterCity (marked as EIC on PKP website) – long-distance service, seat reservation required (13 PLN), operated by PKP InterCity
- EuroCity/Euronight/International (marked as EC/EN/D on PKP website) – international trains, seat reservation required for any domestic routes with EC/EN trains (equivalent of 4 euro in case of EuroCity Warsaw/Gdynia-Berlin or 3 euro with all other international trains)
Polish Railways charge additional extra fee for purchasing tickets on board - 10 PLN (in trains operated by PKP InterCity) or 5 PLN (in trains operated by PKP Przewozy Regionalne), unless passegers board the train on a station without ticket counter
Couchette reservations on domestic journeys:
- 6 berth - 53 PLN (or 40 PLN for passengers <25 and >60 years old; Tania Kuszetka - 33 PLN)
- 4 berth - 63 PLN
Sleeper reservation on domestic journeys:
- 3 bed (Tourist) - 81 PLN
- 2 bed (Double) - 141,5 PLN
- Single - 273 PLN
PKP offers couple interesting budget possibilities for domestic travel:
- For a budget travel try avoiding expensive Express InterCity, Express & EuroCity trains. Instead almost always it is possible to travel by cheaper trains like InterRegio, TLK or even Regio. For instance let's take an example of one of the most popular routes from Warsaw to Krakow: ticket for Express or Express InterCity train costs 127 PLN, while ticket for the same route in InterRegio train costs only 53,9 PLN or 60 PLN with TLK train. Yes, it's more than twice cheaper, while in terms of travel time many InterRegio & TLK trains are slower only for 5-15 min. (depending on connection). Why to pay more?
- Early Bird Offer (Wcześniej) - passengers purchasing train tickets at least 15 days (but not earlier than 30 days) in advance receive 15% discount from the standard fare for any domestic ticket for 1st or 2nd class travel on trains of following categories: EuroCity (EC), Express InterCity (EIC), Express (Ex) and TLK trains. For tickets bought from 14 to 7 days in advance passengers receive 10% off regular fare. Wcześniej tickets can be bought online via PKP-IC website.
- Both PKP InterCity and PKP Regionalne rail companies for any domestic journey use regressive tariff, thus meaning 'bigger distance passeger travels-->cheaper price per km' he or she pays. On many ocassions passengers can take advantage of such tariff system, because de-facto the difference between the ticket for let's say 300 km and for 600 km is not very essential (hard to believe but in 2nd class it's 127 PLN vs. 136 PLN). Now let's look at the example: you want to travel from Krakow to Warsaw and then to Szczecin with fast Ex/EIC trains and the whole journey is planned to be done in <2 days (validity period for long-distance ticket). Instead of two separate tickets from Krakow to Warsaw (127 PLN) and from Warsaw to Szczecin (134 PLN) you simply buy one through ticket Krakow-Warsaw-Szczecin for 151 PLN, while afterward just two separate reservations for each leg (13 PLN each). As result, using the regressive nature of the tariff you save out of nothing almost 50%. The only thing to remember is that ticket issued for use on PKP InterCity trains (TLK/Ex/EIC/EC) isn't valid on PKP Regionalne trains (RE/IR/R), thus it's important to avoid 'break' of tariff, in order to do so when doing this 'trick' with 'regressiveness' try to use trains of one operator company (either PKP InterCity or PKP Regionalne)
- Bilet Relacyjny (PKP InterCity) - up to 65% reduced fare for tickets on certain TLK trains routes and some Express InterCity (EIC) routes (relation Warsaw - Gdansk/Gdynia, Warsaw - Olsztyn, Poznan - Zielona Góra, Warsaw - Zielona-Gora, Olsztyn - Warsaw - Kraków. Relacyjny tickets can be bought online via PKP-IC website.
- Bilet Rodzinny - special offer for small groups and families from 2 to 5 passengers (including at least one child <16) - 32% off for every passenger in a group for tickets on TLK and EIC trains.
- Tania Kuszetka - offer for the overnight TLK trains passengers have a chance to purchase discounted 6 berth couchette reservations, it cost only 33 PLN (instead of standard fare 53 PLN). Tania Kuszetka can be bought online via PKP-IC website.
- Bilet Podroznika - weekend pass, valid for all the TLK trains from Friday 7pm till Monday 6am (seat reservation required, not valid for couchette/sleepers). Price – 74 PLN (2nd class) or 104 PLN (1st class)
- Bilet Weekendowy - weekend pass, valid for all the Express InterCity and TLK trains from Friday 7pm till Monday 6am. Price – 154 PLN (2nd class) or 247 PLN (1st class). NB: remember that passengers require to have compulsory seat reservation on EIC and TLK trains. In TLK trains with couchette & sleeper carriages passengers holding weekend pass can purchase Tania Kuszetka (Bc6) for 33 PLN.
- Super Bilet - discounted tickets for InterRegio trains and InterRegio Buses starting from only 1 PLN (next price levels are 9 PLN, 19 PLN, 29 PLN and 39 PLN). Number of tickets per each price level is limited. Super Bilet can be purchased as early as 30 days in advance and only via PKP-PR website
Bilet Turystyczny – weekend pass, valid for all the regional trains from Friday 6pm till Monday 6am. 35 PLN - Regio, Arriva RP, KD, KŚ i KW or 79 PLN (REGIO, interREGIOand REGIOexpress, Arriva RP, KD, KŚ i KW). Bilet Turystyczny is valid till bordering German stations: Löcknitz, Tantow, Küstrin-Kietz, Frankfurt (Oder), Görlitz, Forst and bordering Czech stations: Cesky Tesin, Lichkov, Petrovice u Karviné, Bohumín, Mikulovice, Jindrichov.
- Połączenie w dobrej cenie - discounted tickets for Regio, InterRegio & RegioExpress trains on certain short-distance connections within Poland,
International Train Service:
a) Regular discounts
- 40% off the standard SCIC-NRT fare for return tickets between Poland and Czech Republic (tariff MOST)
- 40% off Polish and 60% off Slovak part on journeys between Poland and Slovakia (in case connection via Czech Republic 40% discount applies for CD leg)
- 40% off Polish, Czech, Slovak and Hungarian parts on tickets between Poland and Hungary
- 50% off standard East-West (SCIC-EWT) fare on Polish part and 55% off on Lithuanian part for journeys between Poland and Lithuania (via Sestokai)
- 15% off standard East-West (SCIC-EWT tariff) fare on Polish part and 10% off on Ukrainian part on connection between Poland and Ukraine (except direct overnight train from Krakow to Lviv (# 35/36) where offer "Specjal UZ-PKP" gives 20% discount on both Polish & Ukrainian parts of the journey. (e.g. Krakow to Lviv ticket in 2nd class cost 27,60 euro + additional 20% discount offered for senior (>60) passengers)
- 30% off the regular SCIC-NRT price for return tickets in connection Poland-Bulgaria, Poland-Serbia and Poland-Romania
- 25% off East-West (SCIC-EWT tariff) fare on Polish and Russian parts for tickets in connection between Poland and Russia (e.g. Warsaw to Moscow 2nd class ticket cost 98,3 euro)
Passengers can also take advantage of special Multilataral Agreement between a numbee of Central European railway companies. It allows to get 30% (or 40% for youth<26 years old and 50% for groups more than 6 passengers) discount from regular SCIC-NRT/TCV tariff fare on any return ticket purchased for connections between countries participants of the tariff Agreement (Czech Republic (CD), Hungary (MAV), Romania (CFR), Poland (PKP), Slovakia (ZSSK), Bulgaria (BZD), Serbia (ZS) and FYR Macedonia (MZ))
b) Special offers (SpaSrchiene)
Ticket offers with limited number of tickets per each departure (purchase in advance required):
- SparDay / SparNight from Warsaw or Krakow to Vienna daytime (EuroCity 'Polonia' & 'Sobieski') and overnight ('Chopin' & 'Silesia') trains - seats from 29 euro, couchettes from 39 euro and sleepers from 59 euro). Tickets from Warsaw/Katowice to Villach - from 39 euro
- SparNight from Warsaw to Budapest/Bratislava (seats from 29 euro, couchettes from 39 euro and sleepers from 54 euro); SparNight from Krakow to Bratislava/Budapest (couchettes from 39 euro and sleepers from 45 euro)
- SparNight from Warsaw to Prague - seats from 24 euro, couchettes from 34 euro and sleepers from 44 euro; SparNight from Krakow to Prague (seats from 19 euro, couchettes from 29 euro and sleepers from 39 euro)
- SparNight offer for train EuroNight 'Jan Kiepura' from Warsaw to Amsterdam via Berlin, Cologne, Dusseldorf (seats from 29 euro, couchettes from 39 euro, sleepers from 69 euro)
- SparDay offer for train EuroCity 'Wawel' from Wroclaw to Hamburg via Berlin (seats from 29 euro), Wroclaw to Berlin (seats from 19 euro)
- Berlin-Warszawa/Gdynia-Specjal – 'Berlin-Warszawa-Express' and 'Berlin-Gdynia-Express' daytime trains - seats from 29 euro, Poznan to Berlin for BWE (from 16 euro), Poznan to Franfurt Oder (from 9 euro)
Ticket offers with unlimited number of tickets per each departure:
Cena relacyjna (Special Price) offer for one way journeys between Poland and Czech Republic: Warsaw to Prague 65 euro, Krakow to Prague 54 euro, Katowice to Prague 49 euro, Warsaw to Ostrava 30,5 euro, Krakow to Ostrava 17,5 and Katowice to Ostrava 13 euro
Bilet Turystyczny + Czechy: similar to Bilet Turystyczny offer for connections within Poland, but includes border regions of Czech Republic as well (map of those here). Only REGIO trains - 55 PLN or REGIO, InterREGIOand REGIOexpress - 89 PLN
Special crossborder tariffs PKP-DB on multiple directions (DB<120km) & VBB system tariffs: from Kostrzyn to Berlin (11,4 euro); from Szczecin to Berlin (10 euro); from Gorzow Wlkp. to Berlin (11,7 euro). For short cross-border connections (Szczecin Główny - Grambow, Słubice - Frankfurt(Oder), Zasieki - Forst(Lausitz) and Zgorzelec - Görlitz) one way tariff is just 10 PLN
Drezno – Wrocław Regio Specjal (Single, Family & Group for 39, 59 & 79 euro respectively) between Wroclaw and Dresden
Special crossborder fares for connection to Czech Republic: from Międzylesie to Lichkov (4 PLN)
Special crossborder fares for connections to Slovakia (from Zwardon to Skalite 2 euro, Zwardon to Cadca 3,2 euro), Ukraine (Krościenko – Hirov - 1.4 euro, Sanok – Hirov - 3.3 euro) (connection terminated until further notice) and Belarus (from Terespol to Brest, Czeremcha – Wysokolitowsk and from Kuźnica Białostocka to Grodno - 3 euro one way or 6 euro return ticket)
- Poland-Germany (called "Sparpreis 25 Niemcy"). For instance, Warsaw-Cologne via Berlin, Hannover (one person – 941 PLN, every other up to 4 pays 470 PLN)
- Poland-Austria (called “Austria Specjal”): Fares below are all for the 2nd class (1st class available as well), children<12 years old go for free, every 2nd, 3rd, 4th person pays 50%. OEBB<100km+PKP<100km - 77 euro; OEBB<100km+PKP>100km<300km - 93 euro; OEBB<100km+PKP>300km - 111 euro; OEBB>100<400km+PKP<100 - 109 euro; OEBB>100<400km+PKP>100km<300km - 125 euro; OEBB>100<400km+ PKP>300km - 143 euro; OEBB>400km+PKP<100km - 157 euro; OEBB>400km+PKP>100km<300km - 173 euro; OEBB>400km+PKP>300km - 191 euro.
- Poland–Denmark – one person 191 euro (two- 286.5 euro etc.) – without use of ICE trains in Germany and 211/316.5 euro respectively with use of ICE trains
- Poland – Romania – for instance max. distance Gdynia-Bucuresti for two – 980 PLN.
How to Buy Train Tickets in Poland:
National (domestic) and some international tickets for trains operated by PKP InterCity can be purchased online via www.bilet.intercity.pl
Step by Step Guide on How to Purchase Tickets via PKP Online Ticket Shop - europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Poland-PKP.html
Do you still have further questions or want to share your own travel experience? You are welcome on our Forum page
Information contained on this website is for general information purposes only. While we make every attempt to manage and update all the data regarding ticket fares, discounts, travel options etc., EuropeTrainsGuide.com gives no assurance or warranty regarding the accuracy, timeliness, or applicability of any of the content or information on the site.
EuropeTrainsGuide.com is not a profit oriented company or travel agency, we just a small website created by group of rail fans in order to share knowledge & expertise about traveling by train in Europe. Therefore, we’ll appreciate any help/corrections from your side, in case you’ve noticed a mistake or know some additional information that might help other fellow travelers please contact us at
, lets together make European rail travel easier & cheaper