Country info: Denmark (Danmark)
Rail companies: DSB (Danske Statsbaner)
Currency: 1 euro= app. 7.45 Danish krone (DKK)
Train travel in Denmark: train types, tickets, fares, discounts & other useful info
National Train Service:
Train types in Denmark: S-tog (commuter trains), Regionaltog (regional trains), InterCity, InterCity Lyntog, InterCity Express & X2000 trains
- Commuter trains (S-tog) – suburban service of Copenhagen area, no seat reservation required
- Regional trains (Regionaltog) – regional trains serving local routes all over Denmark, no seat reservation required
- InterCity (IC) - domestic service connecting major Danish cities and towns, no seat reservation required
- InterCity Lyntog (ICL) - "lightning" (express) InterCity trains, serve major connections (e.g. Copenhagen to Aarhus, Alborg, Odense, Esbjerg etc.), no seat reservation required
- X2000 - international high-speed service connecting Copenhagen with Swedish Malmo & Stockholm, seat reservation required
- InterCity Express (ICE) - international daytime trains from Copenhagen to various destination in Germany (Hamburg, Berlin & other), no seat reservation required
Seat reservation on DSB domestic journeys (InterCity and InterCityLyntog trains) is 30 DKK, while with journeys abroad on InterCity Express trains reservation is 4 euro
Ticket discoutns & other options to save money while traveling by train in Denmark:
- Passengers can purchase discounted DSB Orange Tickets which are limited in number (per each departure) promo offer tickets (up to 60% discount from the standard ticket price) sold online via DSB website only as early as 2 months before the day of the journey. Idea here is very simple - early ticket purchase equals cheaper fare for passengers. Depending on route and distance discounted Orange fare tickets start from 99 DKK, once cheapest Orange tickets get sold out kicks in next price level (e.g 149 DKK, then 199 DKK, etc.). However potential passengers should take into consideration the fact that DSB Orange tickets are not refundable.
- Special DSB Mini Group & DSB 1 Mini Group tickets for 3 to 7 passengers traveling together. Passenger can save 20% from the standard ticket price per passenger (children <15 years travel free in Mini Groups)
- If your travel plans might change or you simply don't want to purchase non-refundable train tickets some months before the journey, then it might make sense to think about buying Eurail (non Europeans) or Interrail (Europeans) rail pass, it can be only for Denmark (so-called one country pass) or entire Scandinavia (regional pass for Denmark, Sweden, Norway & Finaland). Keeping in mind rather high Danish domestic train ticket prices (stadard full fare) pass can actually make sense even if you make only three long-distance trips.
- Passengers planning rail trips in Denmark also can take advantage of SCIC-NRT international tickets, meaning use international ticket for domestic journeys (more info about this option can be found in Western Europe – how cheap it can be?). E.g. SCIC-NRT ticket through the entire Denmark from Copenhagen to Skagen (via Odense, Fredericia, Alborg etc.) valid for 15 days & allowing unlimited stopovers on the way costs only 67,80 euro in total (basically in such a case SCIC-NRT international ticket serves a role of rail pass issued for the predefined in advance route)
International Train Service:
a) Regular discounts
b) Special offers (SparSchiene)
Sparpreis (DSB Orange Europa & DSB Orange Europa SparNight) tickets available from Denmark to Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland etc.
Some examples of DSB Orange Europa fares (purchase possible up to 90 days in advance):
- Austria: from Copenhagen to Vienna (seats from 546 DKK, couchettes from 698 DKK, sleepers from 850 DKK)
- Germany: from Copenhagen to Hamburg or Lubeck (from 249 DKK), from Copenhagen to Berlin (from 372 DKK), from Copenhagen to Kiel (from 449 DKK), from Copenhagen to Bremen (from 472 DKK), from Copenhagen to Munich (from 622 DKK), from Copenhagen to Cologne (from 772 DKK), from Copenhagen to Dresden (from 772 DKK), from Copenhagen to Frankfurt(M) (from 772 DKK), etc.
- Belgium: from Copenhagen to Brussels (from 1189 DKK)
- Czech Republic: from Copenhagen to Prague (from 896 DKK)
- France: from Copenhagen to Paris (from 1609 DKK)
- Italy: from Copenhagen to Milan (couchettes from 942 DKK, sleepers from 1094 DKK), from Copenhagen to Venice (seats from 1069 DKK, couchettes from 1145 DKK, sleepers from 1297 DKK)
- Netherlands: from Copenhagen to Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam or Haag (from 836 DKK)
- Switzerland: from Copenhagen to Basel (from 622 DKK), from Copenhagen to Zurich (from 622 DKK), from Copenhagen to Bern (from 1004 DKK), from Copenhagen to Geneve (from 1159 DKK)
- Sweden : SJ Orangebillet - limited number of ticket from/to Copenhagen to/from Sweden are sold with up to 40% discount if purchased in advance (offer valid on certain trains only). Passenger also receive 30% off the regular fare on the Danish part of the trip in case he or she holds SuperSaver ticket for Swedish domestic route
Discounted tickets from Denmark to Sweden can be as well purchased via Swedish Railways (SJ) website - www.sj.se
It is possible to purchase Rail Plus card in Denmark (allows 25% discount on any international ticket between almost all the European countries)
Prices of Rail Plus card purchased from DSB: 370 DKK for adult passengers or 170 DKK for <26 & >60
In order to save on international journeys it aslo possible to use SCIC-NRT tariff tickets (for more details see Western Europe – how cheap it can be? section). For example, Copenhagen to Munich SCIC-NRT tariff ticket through entire Denmark and Germany, with unlimited stopovers on the way & 15 days validity period will costs only 186,80 euro
How to Buy Train Tickets in Denmark:
Danish train tickets (including offers like Orange) can be bought online via www.dsb.dk
Do you still have further questions or want to share your own travel experience? You are welcome on our Forum page
Information contained on this website is for general information purposes only. While we make every attempt to manage and update all the data regarding ticket fares, discounts, travel options etc., EuropeTrainsGuide.com gives no assurance or warranty regarding the accuracy, timeliness, or applicability of any of the content or information on the site.