Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 07:06:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Budapest->Austria (Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck) -> Fussen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapest->Austria (Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck) -> Fussen  (Read 13766 times)
bzbing

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:51:53 pm »

Hi Guys,
Heartening to know of many helpful contributers.

I am planning a trip as follows in August, appreciate any comments on how it may be made cheaper:

BUdapest --> Vienna: Buy MAV tickets from Budapest (no English online booking available)
Vienna --> Salzburg: Buy an OEBB ticket for "Vienna->Munich", and alight at Salzburg.
Salzburg -> Innsbruck: are there any cheap tickets other than a direct OEBB "Salzburg-> Innsbruck" train ticket?
Innsbruck -> Fussen: either Take a Train or Driving. Would appreciate if there is anyone who did this trip before to share the experience
Fussen-> Munich: Direct train on DB

It would help alot if you know the gg price for above trip - been seeing average about 40 Euros for each direction.
Many thanks in advance ! :)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »

Budapest --> Vienna: Buy MAV tickets from Budapest (no English online booking available)
Vienna --> Salzburg: Buy an OEBB ticket for "Vienna->Munich", and alight at Salzburg.
Actually if you don't plan to stop for a while in Vienna, then there is other interesting option here available. MAV sells special so called "Excursion ticket" (Kirándulójegyek in Hungarian), it cost only 39 EUR from Budapest till Salzburg via Vienna. It is valid for 4 days, so you will need to make your journey within this limit. If you won't be able to make both legs in 4 days, then obviously 13 EUR discounted ticket Budapest-Vienna (btw, MAV online ticket interface is almost fully in English when you purchase your ticket, it is registration which is problematic since in Hungarian, but anyway manageable with google translate) + 29 EUR discounted Vienna-Munich is your best option (unless there is more than one passenger traveling)
Salzburg -> Innsbruck: are there any cheap tickets other than a direct OEBB "Salzburg-> Innsbruck" train ticket
Here you can use same trick as with Vienna-Salzburg, meaning purchase of discounted international ticket Salzburg-Zurich for 29 EUR and then just get off train earlier. Or alternatively, in case you don't want to prepurchase anything in advance, use regional pass Einfach-Raus Ticket (http://www.oebb.at/en/Tickets/Groups/Einfach-Raus-Ticket/index.jsp ).
Innsbruck -> Fussen: either Take a Train or Driving. Would appreciate if there is anyone who did this trip before to share the experience
Well, train might be much more interesting mean of transportation here, especially since you can use it almost all the way (up to Reutte, which is <15km from Fussen). Full ticket Innsbruck-Reutte is only 21.3 EUR. Buses from Reutte to Fussen - http://www.oebb.at/busplan2011/425800.pdf or you can always hitchhike or even walk.
This is easiest part, since you can get Bavaria Ticket for 21 EUR and enjoy unlimited travel on regional trains withing whole Bavaria.

But if you are ok with small trick of going Budapest-Vienna via Slovakia, then the whole itinerary can be done even cheaper. Since in Slovakia they offer really cool ticket - CityStar to Austria - for rather cheap fare. From any station in Slovakia (should be <100km to Austrian border) you can get CityStar to Innsbruck or even further (for instance last Austrian station on route to Fussen) for just 55.7 EUR. So, as result, you can make a journey Budapest-Esztergom for 1100 HUF (app. 4 EUR), cross the bridge to Slovak Sturovo, but since station Sturovo is a bit >100km from Austrian border, then get from there to the station <100km from Austrian border  (will cost a few euro) and use CityStar from there. Total ticket expenses for route Budapest-Slovakia-Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck-last OeBB station on route to Fussen in such case will be < 65 EUR or even cheaper in case you travel not alone.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:58:28 pm »

Great stuff! thanks tUt! Now i have options to consider..
further to yours,

But if you are ok with small trick of going Budapest-Vienna via Slovakia, then the whole itinerary can be done even cheaper. Since in Slovakia they offer really cool ticket - CityStar to Austria - for rather cheap fare. From any station in Slovakia (should be <100km to Austrian border) you can get CityStar to Innsbruck or even further (for instance last Austrian station on route to Fussen) for just 55.7 EUR. So, as result, you can make a journey Budapest-Esztergom for 1100 HUF (app. 4 EUR), cross the bridge to Slovak Sturovo, but since station Sturovo is a bit >100km from Austrian border, then get from there to the station <100km from Austrian border  (will cost a few euro) and use CityStar from there. Total ticket expenses for route Budapest-Slovakia-Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck-last OeBB station on route to Fussen in such case will be < 65 EUR or even cheaper in case you travel not alone.
[/quote]
I intend to stay in each cities for 2 days, I believe this option for the route "Budapest-Slovakia-Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck-last" does not allow transit of 2 days in each cities?

If i purchase "Excursion Tickets" for the leg of Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg, am i able to purchase them online? ( i don't see it on MAV) As this is my first train ride in europe, believe i have to collect tickets from counter? will i need to exchange for new tix in vienna or can i just retain the same tickets to salzburg after 2Day transit in Vienna?

Salzburg -> Innsbruck: are there any cheap tickets other than a direct OEBB "Salzburg-> Innsbruck" train ticket
Here you can use same trick as with Vienna-Salzburg, meaning purchase of discounted international ticket Salzburg-Zurich for 29 EUR and then just get off train earlier. Or alternatively, in case you don't want to prepurchase anything in advance, use regional pass Einfach-Raus Ticket (http://www.oebb.at/en/Tickets/Groups/Einfach-Raus-Ticket/index.jsp ).

For the Einfach-Raus ticket, can I purchase this in Salzburg and for travel to Innsbruck and within Innsbruck?

Hope to hear your valued advice.. :)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

If i purchase "Excursion Tickets" for the leg of Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg, am i able to purchase them online? ( i don't see it on MAV) As this is my first train ride in europe, believe i have to collect tickets from counter? will i need to exchange for new tix in vienna or can i just retain the same tickets to salzburg after 2Day transit in Vienna?
No, "excursion ticket" can't be bought online. But it can be easily purchase from any international ticket counter in Budapest, so no need to worry here, fare will always be the same. No need to get anything extra in Vienna either, since your stop in Austrian capital is considered as transit stop, then you just continue further with the same ticket.
More info about kirándulójegy can be found here - http://www.mav-start.hu/utazas/linz_salzburg.php (unfortunately only in Hungarian, so google translate is your helper here)
For the Einfach-Raus ticket, can I purchase this in Salzburg and for travel to Innsbruck and within Innsbruck?
Yes, Einfach-Raus Ticket can be purchased in Salzburg from ticket counter, ticket vending machine or you can always buy it online too. But remember that Einfach-Raus Ticket can be used only on trains R, RegionalExpress REX, S-Bahn, Regio S-Bahn RSB, but not InterCity or EN/EC
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:16:58 am »

Thanks tUt!
If that's the case, think it will make more sense to do a trip like below:

1. Budapest>Vienna>Salzburg
2. Salzburg> Berchtesgaden (Eagle's Nest and Salt mine)>Munich(transit)>Fussen(Neuschwanstein Castle)
My intention is to have a daytrip at Berchtesgaden and arrive at Fussen before 8pm. But i understand that from Berchtesgaden, it takes 6 hrs to reach Fussen by train, and i intend to leave Berchtesgaden only after 4pm.
Hence it makes sense to stay over in Munich before reaching Fussen the nxt day. OR Is there any other faster way to do Berchtesgaden to Fussen? (I know by road, it is only 233km away, which may suggest the existance of other shorter train rides/buses)

Have more questions, hope u can help again:
1. Will the excursion ticket permit 3 days transit in Vienna(intend to stay there for abt 3 days), provided Trains are boarded within the 4 dayy period?
2. Am i able to use the Bavarian ticket (Regional ticket i think?) to travel from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and to Fussen after that?
Does the Bavarian Ticket cover shuttle bus rides within Neuschwanstein area?

Thanks for your time! Thinking of "going down on my knees", have to make sure it is perfect.  :)
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 08:24:14 am »

"on my KNEE" ... not "KNEES" haha
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 02:02:39 pm »

Hence it makes sense to stay over in Munich before reaching Fussen the nxt day. OR Is there any other faster way to do Berchtesgaden to Fussen?
The choice to stay overnight in Munich is totally up to you. Basically this stop will cost you additional Bavaria ticket, thus instead of one you will have to buy two for two days. So if you do have a desire to see Munich and willing to spend additional 20 EUR - go ahead. If not, there is ok option dep.Berchtesgaden 4:20pm-arr.Fussen 9:57pm which fits your plan. We also doubt that there is any faster way then via Munich, since it will be evening and both destination aren't megalopolises having frequent connection via different transports
Will the excursion ticket permit 3 days transit in Vienna(intend to stay there for abt 3 days), provided Trains are boarded within the 4 dayy period?
Well, excursion ticket is 4 day return ticket and, as far as we know, there is no limitation on when and how you use it as far as use stays within those 4 days, so it is not a problem to do Budapest-Vienna leg on day 1, while Vienna-Salzburg on day 4.
Am i able to use the Bavarian ticket (Regional ticket i think?) to travel from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and to Fussen after that? Does the Bavarian Ticket cover shuttle bus rides within Neuschwanstein area?
Yes, Bavaria Ticket is valid from Salzburg Hbf. and it even can be bought from DB ticket machine at Salzburg train station. And definitely it's valid for all your travels within Bavaria (meaning Berchtesgaden-Freilassing-Munich-Fussen). You just need to watch out the 9am rule on weekdays, thus not allowing you to start from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden earlier than 9am.
Also it is an open question whether Bavaria ticket is valid for direct buses Salzburg Hbf-ZOB/Hbf Berchtesgaden (listed on DB and OeBB website) or you will have to go just by train, thus Salzburg-Freilassing and change there for Freilassing-Berchtesgaden. The best thing here would be just to ask  already in Salzburg whether you can use for direct bus.
Concerning "shuttle bus rides within Neuschwanstein area": on official website it's stated that Bavaria ticket is valid for "entire transport system in Bavaria as well as the Münchner Verkehrsbund (MVV) and Verkehrsverbund Nürnberg (VGN), Augsburger Verkehrs- und Tarifverbundes (AVV) and many more" (http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/laender-ticket.shtml). So if buses within Neuschwanstein area also included, then no problem. If you eager to know this now, then best is to email DB (or bus company operating planned route) and ask them directly, if not - you can always found out on spot ;)
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 05:35:55 pm »

it seems like there is a faster way for Berchtesgaden>Fussen - not by train - but by driving there which takes only 3 hrs.

Thanks for the great help tUt.
After exploring the various options, i am much clearer what's available.
Thanks again! :)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:10:04 pm »

it seems like there is a faster way for Berchtesgaden>Fussen - not by train - but by driving there which takes only 3 hrs.
Well, strictly geographically you are right, but the thing is that there is no public buses fitting your plan. Even most complete Bavaria travel planner (www.bayern-fahrplan.de) anyway advise to use >5hour train option
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »

Hi tUt,
Trying to book my tickets now, and I have a question regarding Salzburg>Fussen:
Does a Bavarian-Ticket Single(21EUR) allow me to travel from Salzburg>Fussen, and still take the public bus from Fussen>Hohenschwangau?
Or only the Bavarian-Ticket allows me to do so?

2. Also, is it cheaper to buy a ticket from Salzburg>Fussen from OEBB? (I can't seem to get OEBB tickets to Fussen)

Looking forward to your help again. :)
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 06:23:26 pm »

Also, is there a need to book seats? Does bavarian tickets allow you to board any train at any given time?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 06:49:26 pm »

Does a Bavarian-Ticket Single(21EUR) allow me to travel from Salzburg>Fussen
Yes, Bavarian-Ticket Single is the same thing as Bavarian-Ticket, but only for one passenger.
...and still take the public bus from Fussen>Hohenschwangau?
Probably not, at least DB website doesn't show this as possibility. But anyway, you might ask already in Fussen before buying ticket till Hohenschwangau.
is it cheaper to buy a ticket from Salzburg>Fussen from OEBB? (I can't seem to get OEBB tickets to Fussen)
No, it is not cheaper. OeBB will sell you such ticket using full international fare - 56 EUR in this case.
is there a need to book seats?
No, you just take any free seat.
Does bavarian tickets allow you to board any train at any given time?
Not any, only local trains (Interregio-Express, Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn), thus you can't use EuroCity. RailJet, EuroNight trains on leg from Salzburg to Munich. While from Munich to Fussen there are only local trains running.
Also remember that Bavaria Ticket is valid from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day during weekdays or from 0 a.m. until 3 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday and bank holidays.
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »

Thanks tUt .  :)

I have just bought ONE bayern-ticket , Salzburg>Fussen, looks good! Just to be sure - it allows travel for 2?
Also, i've booked it for 12pm. if i miss that train, will i still be able to board the next? oR do i have to buy a new ticket?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:48:06 pm »

Yep, "Bayern-Ticket Single" cost 21 EUR and valid for 1 passenger, just "Bayern-Ticket" cost 29 EUR and valid for up to 5 passengers. And yes, you can use the whole day it is bought for. All other conditions and restriction were written during purchase process or you can also check them here - http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/laender-ticket.shtml (look under "Bayern (Bavaria)").
And just for the future, you can buy Bayern-Ticket from DB ticket machine at Salzburg main station any time as well, price will be the same ;)
bzbing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 03:20:07 pm »

I see..
Haha! thank you very much tUt!~
most enlightening.  ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines