Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:20:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Buy seat resv and pay TGV supplements at foreign stations or online in hostels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buy seat resv and pay TGV supplements at foreign stations or online in hostels  (Read 6641 times)
oldertrainfreak

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:26:50 pm »

I'm going to be moving about Europe--mostly eastern Europe--using a Eurail Global Pass all of April. I don't want to make specific resv for specific trains ahead of time if I can help it; I want to wing it as much as I can.

But when I'm already in Europe (I haven't left yet) doing stuff online at hostels, how do I actually GET the reservations and supplements I may need to pay for, in addn to whatever my pass covers? I don't mean how do I order it and pay for it online; I'm assuming I can figure out how to do that; it's the confirmations I'm thinking about; the pieces of paper saying I have the resv or I've paid the suppl) When I've searched websites here in the US, such as bahn.de, I have NOT always found that I could print them out online at home! I am still waiting for a paper copy of a sleeper resv to arrive from DB by USPS! Hopefully before I board my flight to Europe next Tuesday! Because that's the only way DB would send it to me!

So if I'm in, say, Ljubljana, and I find a trip starting there that I want to take, and I want a sleeper to Munich and then I want to switch in Munich to a TGV that requires a seat resv plus a supplement, how do I actually DO all that from a computer in a hostel in Slovenia!?

I'm looking at a four-train trip:  Ljubljana-Munich (I'll want a sleeper); Munich-Strasbourg (TGV seat resv and suppl reqd); Strasbourg-Valence (TGV); Valence-Narbonne (TGV).  All 3 TGVs might require seat resv and supplements; I'm not sure, but this is enough detail for my question here:

Is it likely that I could find the "international tickets" window in the Ljubljana train station and buy the sleeper resv from Ljubljana to Munich and the seat reservations and pay for the supplements I'd need for the TGV trains from Munich to Strasbourg and Strasbourg to Narbonne, all while I'm at the ticket window in Ljubljana?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:32:29 pm »

So if I'm in, say, Ljubljana, and I find a trip starting there that I want to take, and I want a sleeper to Munich and then I want to switch in Munich to a TGV that requires a seat resv plus a supplement, how do I actually DO all that from a computer in a hostel in Slovenia!?
The problem is that it's not always even possible to get a seat reservation online, for instance on DB website they don't sell international seat reservations separately, but only with ticket. That is why the simplest option will be just to visit international ticket counter in Ljubljana, it will be much less hassle. First of all it's basically the only place where you can purchase your sleeper reservation (no supplement needed in this case), plus, as far as we know, in Ljubljana they do have access to international reservation systems, thus it won't be problem for them to sell you reservations for Germany, France etc (price should be the same).

Also you might acknowledge the fact that it's rather easy to save you 10 EUR and avoid reservation for Munich-Strasbourg journey. It's really easy to accomplish, since Strasbourg is just across the river from German Kehl, while till Kehl you don't need any reservations. From Kehl you can either use city transport or local train (also no reservation needed). Thus you basically save money just by making one train change ;) The only obstacle is that TGV train doesn't stop in Kehl, thus if you really up to using TGV from Munich, then you'll need to get off in Karlsruhe (last TGV stop in Germany) and change there for a local train towards the border.

With Strasbourg-Valence and Valence-Narbonne segments you might not even need to prebook any reservations in advance, both connections aren't the busiest one + April is kind of a low season, thus there shouldn't be any problem with buying reservations (again no need for supplement) already in France
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines