Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:06:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Domestic border-to-border tickets for internatinal trains.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Domestic border-to-border tickets for internatinal trains.  (Read 50410 times)
jfk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 03:48:21 pm »

If you are unboarding in Bohumin, why not go then via Cadca Gr. - Zilina - Trnava - Galanta - Sturovo - Budapest? I know, it's more time consuming but taht way  you have a chance to buy cheap return tickets between ZSSK and MAV.

Or do you just want to stick to EN Chopin/Metropol in order to catch the Sarajevo train in Budapest Deli? That can be quite risky as EN Metropol is usually not on time on arrival to Budapest.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 06:49:46 pm »

Even the <26 version?
Yep, at least in the agreement the category "mlodziez do lat 26 placi 40%" is present and we don't see any problem buying it in Poland (as far as cashiers know their job)
Can I also buy the Citystar Bohumin-Sturovo in Poland to avoid waking up in Bohumin at all?
No, CityStar CD-ZSSK is sold only in Czech Republic or Slovakia. In case you want to buy such ticket in Poland, they will just charge you standard SCIC-NRT*2 minus 40% (due to the above mentioned discount from "Wielostronnego porozumienia...")
If you are unboarding in Bohumin, why not go then via Cadca Gr. - Zilina - Trnava - Galanta - Sturovo - Budapest? I know, it's more time consuming but taht way  you have a chance to buy cheap return tickets between ZSSK and MAV
For "saving all the way" we shouldn't forget also about Cieszyn/Cesky Tesin trick, it might not be very convenient, but saves on cross-border ticket.
That can be quite risky as EN Metropol is usually not on time on arrival to Budapest.
True, today it was late for 14 min., while last week few times around 20+ min etc., but still hour and twenty min. seems enough in case of such minor delays, especially if you know your way around at Keleti and Deli. Timing for the ride Keleti-Deli is 11 min.+ another few min. for up/down + 2-5min. waiting time. The ticket is probably easier to purchae at Deli station, chances for a queue is less comparing to Keleti.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:26 am »

Hey, once again.

I've found great sparpreises so I'm thinking if that can be cheaper than interrail... However a bit risky :-)

Thus I will additionally need couple of one way tickets (one person, >26, railplus; my girlfriend most probably will have to stick to interrail anyway)...
As far as I can see the railplus card always gives me more discount than any local agreements...

Kehl-Zagreb [I've found 29 eur sparpreis (with bahncard)]

Zagreb - Sarajevo (-Ploce?) /direct night train/
--->Railplus seems to be best option. And again, extending ticket to Mostar or Ploce will make it cheaper?

Sarajevo-Ploce-Sarajevo (with longer stay in Mostar)
---> If ZFBH website doesn't lie, then ZFBH-HZ return discount pays off more than railplus, which is contrary to what jizdenka says... But it's still all about around one euro. Breaking this ticket in Mostar can save a bit also but i think it does not really make a large difference.

Sarajevo-Budapest
--->Again railplus seems to be the only option (direct train with quasi-longer stops only in Doboj and Pecs)

Budapest-Bohumin-[Zebrzydowice(gr)]
--->Again the same question. Ticket breaks maybe? We'd like to go straight with the overnight train... I remember there were some discounts for one way trip as well here...

Zebrzydowice(Gr)-Katowice [then onwards]
[I have PhD Polish ID so I also get 51% discount in Poland, that's pretty straightforward for me. Those tickets my girlfriend will buy in Poland even before departure (the date is fixed) so no hassle with border crossing here]

Goerlitz-Kehl (found sparpreis for 43 eur with bahncard)

Seems to me a bit more than 200 instead of 270. The only risk is losing 30 eur by canceling the sparpreises  :-)

Any ideas above aforementioned combining or breaking tickets will be very appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance and again sorry for asking so many questions :-)

Filip.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:07:27 pm by filu » Logged
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 11:36:06 pm »

Kehl-Zagreb [I've found 29 eur sparpreis (with bahncard)]
That's a great price for such connection, so if you know the date definitely - go with it ;)
Zagreb - Sarajevo (-Ploce?) /direct night train/
--->Railplus seems to be best option. And again, extending ticket to Mostar or Ploce will make it cheaper?
Well, here RailPlus discount doesn't contradict regular discount HZ-ZFBH, so it's not about this or that discount to choose, they just sum up.
If ZFBH website doesn't lie, then ZFBH-HZ return discount pays off more than railplus, which is contrary to what jizdenka says...
We have trouble grasping your correlation to jiizdenka, can you explain your point with precise numbers?  ZFBH-HZ it's 20% off, while RailPlus -25% (+ see the above point)
Sarajevo-Budapest
--->Again railplus seems to be the only option (direct train with quasi-longer stops only in Doboj and Pecs)
Discount here is only for return ticket, thus it's either r/t (which is cheaper than full one-way) or full fare one-way with RailPlus discount. The later option obviously cheaper for you. Also might makes sense buying domestic till Samac + international (with RailPlus) from there
Budapest-Bohumin-[Zebrzydowice(gr)] --->Again the same question. Ticket breaks maybe? We'd like to go straight with the overnight train... I remember there were some discounts for one way trip as well here...
Yep, there are SparNight ticket for direct carriages Budapest-Warszawa/Krakow. And you can buy it either online (NB: a bit troubles with MAV system almost inevitable) or take a chance and rely on purchase in Budapest during the road there (if your lady coming from Poland will travel through Budapest or she will try to catch you somewhere in Austria on your route Kehl-Zagreb?)
Goerlitz-Kehl (found sparpreis for 43 eur with bahncard)
Here you can also try search for Europa-Spezial Polen/Tschechien on DB website from Polish/Czech stations (not only till Kehl, but Baden-Baden or Karlsruhe), it can give you a good price. Or now Wroclav is must on the road back?
The only risk is losing 30 eur by canceling the sparpreises 
Unfortunately that is the potential price you pay for the cheap tickets  :-\
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »

I've just bought both aforementioned spars + the Budapest-Katowice (well, technically Warsaw) for 29 eur :-)

!! SURPRISE !! NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MAV TICKETING SYSTEM AT ALL !!

Seems they've something changed since the summer.

Obviously, the ticket number arrives by email, and it needs to be typed in any of their machines then picked up, but it's not a problem for me in this case.

Well, here RailPlus discount doesn't contradict regular discount HZ-ZFBH, so it's not about this or that discount to choose, they just sum up.

So while asking for the ticket Zagreb-Sarajevo and showing my railplus, the cashier will just sum up both discounts?

We have trouble grasping your correlation to jiizdenka, can you explain your point with precise numbers?  ZFBH-HZ it's 20% off, while RailPlus -25% (+ see the above point)

Ok, I just did not know they would sum up.

Thus, I can see the best way is to get those three:
1. Zagreb-Sarajevo
2. Sarajevo-Ploce-Sarajevo (add. return discount)
3. Sarajevo-Budapest (if we're lucky with plans, we may also stop in Doboj, Djakovo and/or Pecs. That would help alot with the price again)

Many thanks !!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:02:59 am by filu » Logged
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 01:54:48 am »

!! SURPRISE !! NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MAV TICKETING SYSTEM AT ALL !!
Good for you, it's that just we heard a few complaints about Hungarian interface, acceptance of only certain cards etc., so just try to warn potential users about possible problems with MAV
... ticket number arrives by email, and it needs to be typed in any of their machines then picked up
Yep, ticket machines located at all the major station. MAV even had "how to" video somewhere on the website, but we can't find it at the moment. Nevertheless, printing shouldn't be a problem at all.
So while asking for the ticket Zagreb-Sarajevo and showing my railplus, the cashier will just sum up both discounts?
Yes, they will just subtract RailPlus discount from "usual" (for them) Zagreb-Sarajevo fare (which is SCIC-NRT-20%, if we remember correct about HZ-ZFBH discount)
Ok, I just did not know they would sum up.
RailPlius discount doesn't sum up with global fares, special offers, CityStars etc., but with regular discounts it does
filu

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »

Just one more question :-)

Are the MAV machine-picked-up tickets personalized?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »

Are the MAV machine-picked-up tickets personalized?
What exactly you mean by "personalized"? If identification, then no. The only thing you need is the code, you enter it on a touch screen and that is it.
rasha

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 09:58:42 pm »

Yes, they will just subtract RailPlus discount from "usual" (for them) Zagreb-Sarajevo fare (which is SCIC-NRT-20%, if we remember correct about HZ-ZFBH discount)

Correction - it's 20% discount on HŽ-SET, and HŽ-SET is already 30% cheaper then SCIC-NRT. Same case as HŽ-ŽS (30% discount on HŽ-SET). 20% discount for HŽ-ŽFBH/ŽRS should be only for return tickets according to HŽ website: http://www.hznet.hr/povlasticeumedunarodnom

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:02:48 pm by rasha » Logged
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2012, 01:22:37 pm »

Correction - it's 20% discount on HŽ-SET, and HŽ-SET is already 30% cheaper then SCIC-NRT. Same case as HŽ-ŽS (30% discount on HŽ-SET). 20% discount for HŽ-ŽFBH/ŽRS should be only for return tickets according to HŽ website: http://www.hznet.hr/povlasticeumedunarodnom
Yep, our bet about those 20%, mixed r/t HZ-ZBH discount with standard HZ-ZBH SCIC-NRT discount, sorry didn't recheck on clear head.

But regarding Croatia-BiH and regular 30% there is one interesting thing. Checked notes from last Croatia visit and turns out that at Zagreb station we specifically asked about Zagreb-Sarajevo ticket, it was 220+ HRK with euro around 7.3 HRK at that point. And if we aren't mistaken, neither sides raised tariffs since, thus SCIC-NRT Zagreb-Sarajevo via Dobrljin at that time also was 40,6 EUR, while price heard in Zagreb is only around 10 EUR less, which is neither 20% or 30% off, but something in between  :-\
rasha

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 04:09:03 pm »

Well, it's strange with Bosnia since there is two operators. For example, ŽFBH has routes from all border points in Bosnia including the ones that belong to ŽRS, but ŽRS via points are not shown, and only ŽFBH kilometer distance is counted (but, still the price seams OK, eg. Dobrljin(Gr) - Maglaj is just little bit more expensive than Dobrljin(Gr) - Doboj). But, ŽRS has routes only from ŽRS border points, including border points with ŽFBH (Maglaj(TS), Brcko(TS)...), which don't exist on ŽFBH side, and has no routes which go via ŽFBH territory. So as a result you can't get ticket from ŽRS to any place if you go via ŽFBH territory. Simplest solution would be to ŽFBH add border points with ŽRS.
filu

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 11:25:30 am »

Hello, one more question regarding the subject :-)

I know than the domestic tariff is usually cheaper than the international one. Thus still a small question regarding two routes of my forthcoming trip once again :-)

Zagreb - Sarajevo

In Zagreb I coul buy domestic+brzi supplement 57.70 HRK (8 eur) Zagreb-Volinja then Inetrnational+railplus Volinja Sarajevo

Standard TCV+railplus tariff is 30.50 eur for Zagreb-Sarajevo and 23.30 eur for Volinja-Sarajevo so the Zagreb-Volinja part costs 7.2 eur EVEN WITHOUT 20% (or similar) HZ-ZFBH/ZRS discount You've mentioned.

Thus, it's cheaper to buy the international ticket Zagreb-Sarajevo at once.

Right? :-)

Sarajevo - Pecs

In Sarajevo I can buy domestic to Bosanski Samac then international Bosanski Samac-Pecs. The price Sarajevo-Samac is not shown, but I can assume it's less than to Sarajevo-Banja Luka (shorter distance and entity crossing) thus it's below 25.70 bam (less than 13.20 eur). Then from jizdenka Samac-Pecs with railplus is 13.70 eur.

Sarajevo-Pecs from zfbh website is 64.50 bam / 33.20 eur standard so should be 24.90 with railplus.

Thus it's again a bit cheaper or around the same price to buy a direct ticket.

As a conclusion :-) Seems like in those two cases it's cheaper to buy international ones only because of my railplus card :-) If I didn't have it, it would be better to get the combined offer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong :-)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 01:00:09 am »

Thus, it's cheaper to buy the international ticket Zagreb-Sarajevo at once.
Well, such thing does happen sometimes. Explanation here is in regression of the tariff (bigger distance-->cheaper km), so one long through ticket basically 'beats' difference between cheaper domestic tariff and more expensive international one. But in this particular case your calculations are a bit off, since, as rasha noted, we have HŽ-SET already -30% from SCIC-NRT, and additionally your RailPlus -25%, so direct international ticket Zagreb-Sarajevo will cost you even cheaper (should be around 165-170 HRK). On the contrary, also for HZ domestic ISIC gives -25% (thus Zagreb-Volinja will cost you only 43.3 kuna).
... it's again a bit cheaper or around the same price to buy a direct ticket.
Yep, here your calculations correct. But remember about <26 years old 30% discount on domestic BiH (both ZRS and ZFBH) journeys.
filu

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 09:54:31 am »

I'm >26 so I wouldn't count on that :-)

However, if the things are this way, maybe it's cheaper to buy a direct Zagreb-Ploce ticket and then Ploce-Sarajevo (both tickets one way) instead of getting Zagreb-Sarajevo one way then Sarajevo-Ploce return? [later we will leave BiH via Pecs/Budapest] cannot find Zagreb-Ploce price to compare...

And as far as I understand all the tickets here are not any "specials" so stops are allowed on route.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:10 pm »

...cannot find Zagreb-Ploce price to compare...
Roughly around 310-315 HRK
And as far as I understand all the tickets here are not any "specials" so stops are allowed on route.
Yep, that's just a regular HZ-BiH (or HZ-BiH-HZ)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines