Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:37:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Tallinn, Estonia - Pärnu
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tallinn, Estonia - Pärnu  (Read 10781 times)
warlord

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:56:06 pm »

Ok talked before about this and I have all my other plans and buses worked out using Lux Express.  I'm finding that Lux Express does not have good times for my travel dates (Sunday, May 20th) from Tallinn to Pärnu.  I also found that the train also has too early of a time (and takes a lot longer).

So I looked at Sebe.  When I do, it takes me to Bussi Reisid website that shows the buses available, which then shows all of the buses being operated by Sebe.  So what is the Bussi Reisid website then and why does Sebe direct me to it?

Also, does the Sebe bus leave from the main bus station in Tallinn as the Lux Express buses will?  It almost looks like Sebe buses leave from another bus station so I'm a bit confused.

I'm figuring this is probably the fastest way to get to Pärnu isn't it?  Unless I'm missing something...
  Thanks...
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:35 pm »

a) SEBE and LuxExpress is the same company, the only difference is that LuxExpress operates only international routes (thus not designed for domestic travel), while SEBE operates only domestic routes (like Tallinn-Parnu). As result, though you can see LuxExpress buses Tallinn-Parnu-Riga, but they aren't used for travels within Estonia.
b) Bussireisid.ee website is basically an all Estonia aggregator website (like cp.atlas.sk for Slovakia or idos.cz for Czech Republic). So it's like a unified source of schedules and other travel info, while SEBE is just one of the major bus companies (along with Taisto, GoBus etc.) which actually operates buses. So don't worry, bussireisid is totally legit and official, you can trust schedules there ;)
c) SEBE buses as well as LuxExpress depart from Tallinn main bus station (Tallinna Bussijaam, Lastekodu 46 str., Tallinn). But in some cases both SEBE and LuxExpress buses also have an additional stop within Tallinn (like airport for buses to/from Tartu or Tallinn City Hotel for LuxExpress buses to Riga etc.). Anyway, all the long-distance (either domestic or international) buses depart from main bus station
d) Yes, bus on route Tallinn-Parnu is the fastest public transport, most have travel time around 2 hours. Train is slower by about 40-50 min. + only two departures per day.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »

Ok great, I know where the station is and was just hoping there wasn't another one in town that the Sebe left from.  Good that it's the same place then and part of the Lux Express.

Another question is my day trip from Riga to Cēsis and then back to Silgulda to Riga.

There is a train that goes to Cēsis from http://www.ldz.lv of course, but the times aren't that great.  So I would assume the best bet is to just show up at the bus station in Riga and get a ticket or buy one in advance from the ww.autoosta.lv website as it seems there are a lot more options for buses. 

So my trip will look like this:
Rīgas SAO(Rīgas raj. : (pilsēta Rīga) : Latvija) - Cēsu AO(Cēsu raj. : (pilsēta Cēsis) : Latvija)

Then from:
Cēsu AO(Cēsu raj. : (pilsēta Cēsis) : Latvija) - Sigulda(Rīgas raj. : Sigulda : Latvija)

And finally from:
Sigulda(Rīgas raj. : Sigulda : Latvija) - Rīgas SAO(Rīgas raj. : (pilsēta Rīga) : Latvija)

So I am thinking just taking the bus would be the best option?  And not sure if I would need to book my tickets in advance or just get them whenever I feel like leaving?

Thanks
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:04:56 pm »

I would assume the best bet is to just show up at the bus station in Riga and get a ticket or buy one in advance from the ww.autoosta.lv website as it seems there are a lot more options for buses.
No point to buy anything in advance, since in Latvia (as well as in Estonia) domestic buses rarely sold out and everybody purchase tickets already at the station before departure. And Riga bus station has like a dozen of working ticket counters during the day, so you won't even need to stand in line or wait.
So I am thinking just taking the bus would be the best option?
If it's convenient for you, then yes. Difference between bus and train here isn't crucial. Buses run more often (in case of Riga-Cesis and Sigulda-Riga segments), but train might be a bit cheaper (in case of Riga-Cesis segment) and have a bit better view out of the window (in terms of nature and rural scenery), while travel time either by rail or by bus is basically the same.
The only thing you should keep in mind, is that most of the buses on route Cesis-Sigulda (mainly it will be Cesis-Riga buses going via Sigulda) doesn't go into town centre (where Sigulda bus station(Siguldas AO) is located), but only stop at the few place on the outskirts along the A2 road (see google maps). So in case you decide to use bus here, then be ready to walk like one km from the bus stop on road A2 to the centre of the town.
And not sure if I would need to book my tickets in advance or just get them whenever I feel like leaving?
As was said above, don't bother with purchasing tickets in advance or online, just buy them already at the station ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »

Ok great, thanks for the information.  As long as I can figure out that I'm in Sigulda on the E77/A2 then I have no issues walking.  It looks though in Sigulda I can get buses from the main bus station AO back to Riga though correct?  Or am I reading that wrong and would need to catch the bus where I got dropped off on E77/A2 road?

And thanks for the tips about getting the local bus tickets right there at the bust station for the Pärnu trip from Tallin, as I won't really know until I'm there what time I would want to leave at...
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:25:45 pm »

It looks though in Sigulda I can get buses from the main bus station AO back to Riga though correct?
Yes, from Sigulda bus station (Siguldas AO), which is located across the square from the train station, there are direct buses to Riga like every hour during the day, so it won't be a problem to depart from the center.
And thanks for the tips about getting the local bus tickets right there at the bust station...
Your welcome ;)  Hope you'll have a nice time in Baltics. May should be a nice time to visit those places.
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 06:52:31 pm »

Well I hope the weather is good and not too cold :) .  Trying to decide if I should bring my winter jacket or not on the trip...
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:46 pm »

Trying to decide if I should bring my winter jacket or not on the trip...
Can't really help you out here...weather it's not a rail travel question  ;D
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:55:14 pm »

It might be if I miss my trains and buses and I have to walk across all 3 countries  ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines