Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:16:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Bratislava - St. Petersburg via Ukraine and Moscow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bratislava - St. Petersburg via Ukraine and Moscow  (Read 73466 times)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 12:09:27 am »

it is very strange that it is impossible to book ticket out of Cis... but some year ago my friend have booked tickets to Vilnius in that way...
Vilnius is considered as "interstate" destination and not international, so you can buy tickets from Moscow to Vilnius any time online, as far as they are available.
nevertheless, 114Euro is too expensive for me... i'll try to go by this route, but with a lot of changes: Minsk-Lvov by 47train, then Lvov-Uzhgorod by 15train, then Uzhgorod-Cosice by bus and then to L.Mikulas by train. 47Euros for all... Neither more nor less, but it is cheaper in 2.5 times...
Aha, so your real interest is in Minsk-L.Mikulas. This info changes quite a lot. First of all, you can easily catch Moscow-Zilina carriage already in Lviv, as you can guess Lviv-Zilina ticket fare is much less.
And some comments on already mentioned by you option: better not to use train #15 from Lviv to Uzghorod - since it is Russian train=it is more expensive than Ukrainian ones, plus you don't get a good sleep with it. Use train #99 Kiev-Uzghorod (you'll get whole night to sleep and it will cost less), it arrives right before departure of the morning Uzghorod-Kosice bus (bus station is across the square from train station). And in case money is a real issue, then it is better not to use direct Minsk-Lviv train ("interstate" tariff), but to use Belarussian and Ukrainian domestic tariff, thus "break" your tickets via border, if you are interested in specifics - ask ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Stjärna

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:38 am »

Dear Tshen!

I did not understand your problem 100% precisely. However if you would like to get cheap to Moscow from Slovakia, the best option is to cross the borders as tUt suggested in the previous post. It is less convenient in term of time but cheaper. And my advice to call (or visit) the International Ticket Office in Moscow (Komsomolskaya sq.) instead of Railway stations. I suspect they know more about international tickets (I mean non ex-USSR countries where we have the same system) and thus more helpful.

Regards,
Mike.
Tshen

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 10:32:18 am »

1. 99th train arrive to Uzhgorod at 07.49, and bus to Cosice leaves bus station at 7.40 so I do not have time...
p.s. but who bothers me to buy tickets on RUSSIAN 15 train in RUSSIA, where the prixe will be less than in UA.
2. About "direct" Minsk-Lviv train: this, 47th train is russian, and it only passes through Belarus, so tickets will be in Minsk only for 24-48 hours before arrival. So, i'll buy it in Russia from the nearest border station...
But if you know ways cheaper than 45Euro... i I'll be glad to listen.

p.s. Может быть на русский перейдем-таки;)?
Минск-столица мира внутри мира.
Minsk is the capital of the world within the world
Stjärna

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 01:59:56 pm »

1. 99th train arrive to Uzhgorod at 07.49, and bus to Cosice leaves bus station at 7.40 so I do not have time...
p.s. but who bothers me to buy tickets on RUSSIAN 15 train in RUSSIA, where the prixe will be less than in UA.
The price will be almost the same in Russia or Ukraine with the difference of small taxes applied. However if you are buying the ticket to the Ukrainian train in Ukraine it will be cheaper (e.g. this 99 Uzhgorod - Kiev).

2. About "direct" Minsk-Lviv train: this, 47th train is russian, and it only passes through Belarus, so tickets will be in Minsk only for 24-48 hours before arrival. So, i'll buy it in Russia from the nearest border station...
That is true but there is also Belarus train No372 Ivano-Frankovsk - Minsk which passes Lvov. It departs at 23:12 from Lvov and arrives to Minsk at 12:33 next day. The ticket will be 3,5 - 4 euro cheaper than in No47 Lvov - S.-Petersburg.

Regards,
Mike.
Tshen

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 02:44:39 pm »

i know about this train. it arrive to Lviv on 04.55, so i can be in Uzhgorod only at 12.30 and this time there are no buses to Slovakia...
Stjärna

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 03:00:38 pm »

Ah, sorry! I thought you need an opposite direction. There should be a bus to Michalovce at 14:15 or it does not suite you?
Tshen

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 03:05:11 pm »

mm, sorry, are you SURE that there is such bus to Michalovce??? i haven't find it in timetable...
if it really is, it's very good. now i'm looking for trains from Michalovce to L.Mikulas...
p.s. when does this bus arrive to Michalovce???

and one queston more: Are students discounts on ZSR applying for international students with ISIC card???
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:08:42 pm by Tshen » Logged
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:15 pm »

are you SURE that there is such bus to Michalovce??? i haven't find it in timetable...
Buses leave at 13:15 and 15:10 (http://www.sadmi.sk/downloads/807807.pdf)
Are students discounts on ZSR applying for international students with ISIC card?
No, unfortunately
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
rasha

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 01:38:34 pm »

I counted that return ticket Budapest - Moscow should cost 104,38 euros. Right?

Which trains between Moscow and Kiev are Ukrainian, and which are Russian? And how much is the price for reservation in kupe, for Ukrainian, and how much for Russian. Also how much is reservation cost for kupe Kiev - Lvov, and for 3-bed sleeper Budapest - Moscow, and Lvov - Belgrade (or Budapest)?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 02:35:08 pm »

I counted that return ticket Budapest - Moscow should cost 104,38 euros. Right?
No, return ticket Budapest-Moscow-Budapest via Chop costs 135 euro + 24 euro for sleeper 2/3 each way.
Sleeper reservations: Lviv-Belgrade costs 15 euro for RZD carriage (2/3) and 20 euro for UZ carriage (2/2). Lviv-Budapest - 10 euro RZD carriage 2/3 and 18 euro UZ (2/2 if Kiev-Budapest carriage used or 2/3 if Lviv-Budapest carriage used). Plus if you purchase it in Ukraine, then you will need to pay small commission for purchasing international sleeper reservation (app. 3 euro)
Which trains between Moscow and Kiev are Ukrainian, and which are Russian? And how much is the price for reservation in kupe, for Ukrainian, and how much for Russian.
Sleeper reservation 2/4 ("kupe") for RZD carriage costs 55 euro, UZ - 16 euro. Most of the trains on the route are Ukrainian, so it is easier to list RZD trains (#16, #22 and some additional summer/holidays trains like #252 or #126). Also RZD carriages serve train #1/2 ("Stolychnyi Ekspress") on uneven dates this month, on even dates there are UZ carriages.
We would recommend not to test unknown trains and simply use "classics" - either UZ #1 train (once in two days), or almost as good in comfort, but slower #4 or #6 (both everyday)
Also how much is reservation cost for kupe Kiev - Lvov
Well, it doesn't really make sense to use international ticket (issued with "East-West") on this route, because sleeper for it will cost same fare as full domestic ticket for most expensive train on the route. Plus you will have some headache purchasing it, because ticket counters in Lviv or Kiev not really often sell something like this, so you might loose a lot of time and effort  ;)
rasha

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 03:46:28 pm »

Thank you.  :)

No, return ticket Budapest-Moscow-Budapest via Chop costs 135 euro
Why is that? It's listed on your site that for return tickets between Hungary and Russia via Ukraine there is 50% discount for Hungarian and Ukrainian part, and 30% for Russian part. I counted with TCV tariff (should be same as East-West? or not?).

Considering all this, what do you think is the cheapest variant for traveling Belgrade - Budapest - Moscow, with stops in Lvov and Kiev? (considering also option via Slovakia (City Star) if cheaper)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:49:34 pm by rasha » Logged
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »

Ok, fare 135.6 euro we took from one of the RZD websites, but let's count, so we can find the truth )
Budapest-Zahony(gr) 338km, 31.4 euro ; Zahony(gr)-Zernovo(gr) - 1252km, 49.4 euro; Zernovo(gr)-Moscow 517km, 33.8 euro. So, 31.4+49.4+33.8*2*0.7= app. 128.2 euro.
We aren't really sure about those additional 7 euro of difference with quoted earlier price, but it might be some miscalculations or some kind of commission of RZD counter.

As far as we can see, the price you counted was modified because you probably used jizdenka. But due to some other reason it gives additional 20% off for tickets in Ukraine, Russia etc. If you purchase tickets outside of Czech Republic, then you will pay full fare as we counted above (let's say roughly around 130-135 euro).

Concerning ZSSK-RZD: CityStar price stayed the same as last year, so RZD<1500km base tariff 100 euro, RZD>1500km - 134 euro. Sleeper reservation Kosice/Zilina-Moscow - 24 euro.

Concerning ZS-RZD: The only CityStar price we have is 186 euro for RZD<1500km (but it might be rather old, so we can't guarantee it. Since you are in Serbia, then you can recheck it easily). And roughly 10-15 euro for sleeper till Buchurest and another 20-25 for sleeper till Moscow.

Other option: simply purchase Beograde-Zahony r/t with 60% off, then couple euro for crossborder Zahony-Chop. Best train from Chop to Kiev costs only 153 UAH (app. 15 euro) for "kupe" 2/4. Kiev-Moscow depends on your choice of the train and carriage type, we just gone say that the most expensive #1 train costs 800 UAH (app. 80 euro) for "kupe", cheapest "kupe" app. 600 UAH, "platskartyi" - 350 UAH etc.
rasha

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 10:13:42 am »

Is it possible to buy return ticket outward Budapest - Kiev, and return only Lvov - Budapest? How much would it be, arround 60 euros? And also, how much is the Budapest - Kiev sleeper cost?

And please write me prices for domestic Ukrainian trains Lvov - Kiev, Kiev - Simferopol, Kiev - Odessa, Simferopol - Odessa, Odessa - Lvov, and Simferopol - Lvov for 2/4 "kupe".
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 11:25:05 am »

Is it possible to buy return ticket outward Budapest - Kiev, and return only Lvov - Budapest? How much would it be, arround 60 euros? And also, how much is the Budapest - Kiev sleeper cost?
As of now in connection MAV-UZ discount is the same for one way or return tickets, so you might as well purchase two separate tickets Budapest-Kiev and Lviv-Budapest.
Budapest-Kiev costs app. 45 euro, sleeper reservation for UZ carriage 23 euro (2/2), for RZD - 17 euro (2/3). Lviv-Budapest app. 25 euro, sleeper 18 euro (UZ either 2/2 if Kiev-Budapest/Beograde carriages used or 2/3 if you use Lviv-Budapest carriage); 10 euro RZD (2/3), but remember - in advance you can purchase reservations only for UZ carriages, for RZD - only on the day of travel (basically only after "Tisza" leaves Moscow). 
Plus you need to count some small commissions (like 3 euro on UZ) and fluctuations of exchange rates, since you pay in UAH or HUF.
And please write me prices for domestic Ukrainian trains Lvov - Kiev, Kiev - Simferopol, Kiev - Odessa, Simferopol - Odessa, Odessa - Lvov, and Simferopol - Lvov for 2/4 "kupe".
Fares for "flagship" branded trains (usually fastest trains with newest carriages on the route), so you'll get idea about maximum fares:
Lviv-Kiev: train #92 (164 UAH, linen included), but there are trains where you will pay only 100 UAH for "kupe"
Kiev-Simferopol: #12 (211 UAH, linen included), there are trains where you will pay only 140 UAH for "kupe"
Kiev-Odesa: #105 (154 UAH, linen included), there are trains where you will pay only 110 UAH for "kupe"
Simferopol-Odesa: no choice here, since there is only one everyday train #650 (depending on carriage "kupe" from 95 to 125 UAH)
Simferopol-Lviv: #86 (196 UAH, linen included), other trains like #256 or #296 same fare, but probably older carriages.
Odesa-Lviv: #26 (135 UAH, linen included), there are trains where you will pay only 117 UAH for "kupe"

Since Odesa and Crimea tend to be rather popular destinations during summer, then you might experience some problems with tickets for those best "flagship" trains, especially if purchasing not in advance. So it is better to buy all your tickets first thing after you'll get on Ukrainian territory. UZ counters doesn't have any commission for purchasing tickets in advance or not from the station of your departure, so you can buy all the tickets within Ukraine in Chop, for instance - the fare will be the same as in Kiev, Lviv, Odesa or Simferopol.
rasha

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 01:34:19 pm »

Thank you, once again.  :)

As of now in connection MAV-UZ discount is the same for one way or return tickets, so you might as well purchase two separate tickets Budapest-Kiev and Lviv-Budapest.
Well, that's great news, just, the Budapest - Kiev ticket should be less than 45 euros. On MAV-Start website it's stated that return ticket Budapest - Kiev is 76,80 eur, so one way shuold be half of that, considering that now is same discount for one way and return tickets.

but remember - in advance you can purchase reservations only for UZ carriages, for RZD - only on the day of travel (basically only after "Tisza" leaves Moscow). 
Just to make sure, this is only for Ukraine - Hungary, not for Hungary - Ukraine?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines