Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  All other train travel questions  |  Print Ticket Vienna-Budapest from MAV Site
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Print Ticket Vienna-Budapest from MAV Site  (Read 17528 times)
ailtonfg

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2012, 01:34:49 am »

I bought a ticket from Vienna to Budapest on Mav site.
A friend told me the rate difference between MAV and OBB would be big, and it really is. I've paid 13 euros in MAV and in OBB it would be 36.

But I thought the ticket would be sent to me, like in other railway companies.
The email I received brings the 10 digit code to print the ticket. But if I am on Austria how can I print the ticket?

So I read that the ticket could be printed at home, but I can't find a way to do it, because the MAV site doesn't explain that in English, and the Hungarian it's not so easy to translate on google translator.

Can anybody help me? Give me a tip?

Thank you.
Ailton
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:36:27 am »

But if I am on Austria how can I print the ticket?
Unfortunately you can't print it in Austria, MAV at the moment doesn't have a usual print-at-home type of eTicket. That is why once you payed for the ticket you just receive a 10 digit code, with a help of which you can print your ticket using MAV ticket machine (located at all the major Hungarian stations). If you unable to visit Hungarian station with MAV ticket machine --> you can't print your ticket, sorry. Probably your only solution now (unless you able to visit Hungary before mentioned Vienna-Budapest trip) is simply to email MAV directly and explain the situation, maybe they will help.

So I read that the ticket could be printed at home
Where? Maybe you read it about Austrian ticket bought from OeBB website? Those can be printed at home, but not ticket bought from MAV website

I've paid 13 euros in MAV and in OBB it would be 36
Well, there is a difference, but it's not that big, since 13 euro ticket it is a discounted promo offer ticket sold by Hungarian railways, while 36 euro is a full fare regular price ticket sold by Austrian (OeBB). But at the same time OeBB also offers a limited number of discounted tickets as well, those aren't 13 euro, but 19 euro.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
ailtonfg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »

Hello tUt.

Thanks for your answers.

I really read about printing ticket at home in MAV site. Including in a Budapest journal. (http://www.bbj.hu/life/mav-start-lets-passengers-print-tickets-at-home_61544)

In the Hungarian MAV site they have the eTicket solution, but I can't understand because the translation it's sometimes confuse. Hungarian is not easy to translate. The site in English tells nothing about it.

As you said, I wrote an email to MAV. Let's see what they can do for me.
I hope I can cancel my purchase, if necessary.

Thank you.
Ailton
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:00:53 pm »

I really read about printing ticket at home in MAV site. Including in a Budapest journal.
This info concerns only domestic (thus within Hungary) tickets, which are a but different thing. Print-at-home version doesn't work with international tickets
As you said, I wrote an email to MAV. Let's see what they can do for me.
Well, hope MAV will be able to help, otherwise you (or somebody else) either will need to somehow print in Hungary or just simply lose 13 euro and buy instead Austrian 19 euro discounted ticket from OeBB website
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
ailtonfg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:36:40 am »

Hello tUt.

Unfortunately the MAV ticket can not be canceled. I will try to contact someone to print and send me the tickets from Budapest, or I'll lost my money  :'(

About the price of 36 euros in OBB, the train at date and time I need to take gives me only the normal rate. Again  :'(

Thanks for everything.

Best regards.

Ailton
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:37:14 am »

Unfortunately the MAV ticket can not be canceled
That is the case with most of the discounted tickets, unfortunately. Hope you'll find somebody in Budapest (or Hungary in general) who can help and print it for you.
About the price of 36 euros in OBB, the train at date and time I need to take gives me only the normal rate.
Which date and train?
ailtonfg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:48:03 am »

My date is July 1st.
The train is the railjet 63 departing at 14:09 in Vienna.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:36:21 pm »

My date is July 1st. The train is the railjet 63 departing at 14:09 in Vienna.
Yep, from Vienna there is no more discounted seats left for the train you want. But it still doesn't mean that need to pay full fare which is 36 euro. If printing of MAV ticket won't work out you can: a) simply choose bus instead of train, for instance Eurolines has one 14:30-17:25 and tickets are only 2900 HUF (which is <10 euro); b) if you aren't in a hurry, then it's possible to use EURegio ticket + domestic Hungarian one from the border. Total journey time will be a bit more and will require at least one train change, but at the same time you can save like 10 euro + won't need to buy anything in advance
ailtonfg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 03:18:37 pm »

Hello tUt.

I read about the EURegio ticket in the site of Oebb. (http://www.oebb.at/en/Travelling_abroad/EURegio/EURegio_Hungary/index.jsp)

In fact this coul help a lot. With one of these, I can go earlier to one of the cities in the route of my real train (like Mosonmagyaróvár - 14 euros), stop there and print my ticket from MAV machine. Then, when the railjet train stop in the city I take it.

EURegio (14 euros) + Mav Ticket (13 euros), is still cheaper then the Oebb ticket.

But I didn't understand in what trains the EURegio could be used. In the railjet is possible too?

Thank you for everything.

Ailton

tUt
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:39 pm »

I can go earlier to one of the cities in the route of my real train (like Mosonmagyaróvár - 14 euros), stop there and print my ticket from MAV machine. Then, when the railjet train stop in the city I take it.
Yep, it can be one of the solutions, in Mosonmagyaróvár MAV does have a ticket machine
But I didn't understand in what trains the EURegio could be used. In the railjet is possible too?
No, EURegio ticket can be used only on regional trains which connect Vienna/Bruck a.d. Leitha and Gyor via Mosonmagyaróvár, so in order to catch RJ63 in Mosonmagyaróvár you'll need to leave from Wien Südbf (Ost) at 12:32 and then change at Bruck a.d. Leitha. In such case arrival to Mosonmagyaróvár will be 13:43, while your RailJet will leave 15:08

Maybe a better idea will be not to make change in Mosonmagyaróvár, but buy EURegio till Gyor, it's a few euro more, but at the same time Gyor is much nicer place to spend extra hour and a half, so you can actually see a bit of Gyor during the layover time (-->make your stop count)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:35:32 pm by tUt » Logged
ailtonfg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:08:04 pm »

Thanks tUt.

I saw here that Gyor is bigger city, so if I can't find someone to print and send the tickets for me it will be on my trip too.  ;)

Thank you for everything.

Best regards.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines