Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:25:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Night Train Reservations : Budapest --> Sighisoara w/ a EuRail Pass
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Night Train Reservations : Budapest --> Sighisoara w/ a EuRail Pass  (Read 6798 times)
LostInInaka

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:21:36 am »

Hi everyone!

I was recently asked to go on a business trip that will take me through Hungary and Romania, and after some searching it looks like a night train might be the best way to get between the two.

However, my company purchased me a EURail pass because they felt it would be cheaper and easier, even after I advised them not to, so now I am wondering the best way to make reservations for a sleeper can on this train.

I have looked online at several websites, but most, other than MAV, even give a price quote...and even then most websites don't talk about any sort of rail pass discount or the supplement that must be paid as a rail pass holder.

So I am wondering, is it even possible to reserve/buy tickets online, or is it something that needs to wait until I land in Czech and go to a travel agent at the beginning of my trip?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can provide me!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »

...so now I am wondering the best way to make reservations for a sleeper can on this train.
The problem here is that MAV website doesn't sell online sleeper reservations separately, but only ticket+reservation as a sort of combination, thus there is no possibility to buy a reservation itself to compliment your pass
So I am wondering, is it even possible to reserve/buy tickets online, or is it something that needs to wait until I land in Czech and go to a travel agent at the beginning of my trip?
As we see it, you have three options here: a) some of the agencies (including those located abroad) besides passes also offer issuing sleeper reservations. Obviously it will be more expensive in total (comparing to what you'll pay in Hungary), but in case your company pays for everything that might not be an issue. You can either ask from the agency where your pass was bought or just see Eurail Group page (under 'How to I make seat or bed reservation...') for the list of official sales agents; b) don't bother with all those agencies and just purchase your reservation already in Prague from Czech Railways (CD) international ticket counter, they should be able to sell it to you for the same fare as in Hungary; c) or even buy it already in Budapest. There are two direct overnight trains and doubt that everything will be sold out far in advance. Generally there is no problem to buy a reservation even on the day of travel (for instance for today there are still double and 3 bed sleepers available)
Just as info, sleeper reservation fares: 3 bed sleeper (28 EUR in trains 'Ister'/'Muntenia' or 32 EUR in train 'Dacia'); double sleeper (42 EUR and 43 EUR respectively), DeLuxe double (60 EUR for all trains); single sleeper (98 and 99 EUR respectively) and DeLuxe single (110 EUR for all trains), while in agencies it will be slightly (or maybe even more then slightly) higher.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
LostInInaka

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:29 am »

Wow!  Many thanks for the great and informative reply!

I was worried I couldn't book it while in Prague and would have to wait until I got to Budapest to do so....and then have to worry about it being sold out!  Good to know I can do it earlier.

I will look in to all these options!

Thanks again for your help!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines