Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Budapest to Belgrade 2 people sleeper carriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapest to Belgrade 2 people sleeper carriage  (Read 11789 times)
poots

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:05:02 pm »

Hi
I plan to take the night train from Budapest to Belgrade at the end of this month. I am looking on the MAV website, but when I enter the date I want to travel (29th Aug) and ask for a sleeper carriage for 2 people, the website says that no tickets are available. When I looked last month, it was availabe to book online. I had heard that these tickets don't sell out that far in advance, so I don't understand why it has dissapeared from the website? Does anyone know? Could it really be fully booked already?
Thanks for any help
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:26:14 am »

...so I don't understand why it has dissapeared from the website? Does anyone know? Could it really be fully booked already?
Really doubt that it got sold out, since Budapest-Belgrade isn't very busy connection, especially overnight and at the end of the holiday season. Plus there are no sleepers available for online booking for other dates (either before August 29 or after). Thus more likely there are other reasons.
Not sure exactly, but most likely reason is that MAV online booking system isn't perfect yet, so sometimes there are glitches and certain limitations. For instance it happened that for certain connections sleepers where sold online, but couchettes for the same train weren't (with Budapest-Belgrade it's actually vice versa - you can purchase couchette, but can't buy sleeper).
Anyway, you should not worry much about problems with buying sleepers online. Just visit ticket desk when you in Hungary and buy it then, availability factor shouldn't be an issue. Plus in terms of Budapest-Belgrade connection you anyway pay the same price doesn't matter whether you buy ticket online or at the station, so there is no real "financial necessity" to buy it online.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
poots

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:35:27 am »

Hi
Thanks for your quick reply - you have put my mind at rest that maybe there are still carriages availible.

Normally I wouldn't bother with buying a ticket online ahead of time, it's just that our flight lands early that day and I need to be on the evening train on the same day to Belgrade. If I can't get a sleeper as they are sold out on the day, I am going to get the 15 euro day train, but I will need to sort out accomodation in Belgrade for the night where I would have been on the train (if that makes sense?) - that is the reason I need to know as soon as possible if I'll get a sleeper.

Thanks again :)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »

Even if all the sleepers will be sold out (imho, hard to believe they will be) you can get couchette, slightly less comfortable, but only for a short night sleep it is also an option. 

I am going to get the 15 euro day train
Ticket for the overnight train also cost 15 euro, it's only about extra sleeper reservation fare that you need to pay on top of 15 for the ticket part
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
poots

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:45:31 pm »

Hi

Great thanks. I don't think I would llike to risk a couchette, If I have to travel that far and not sleep properly I would rather travel int he day when I can look out of the window and see some of the country. I am currently working on my backup plan. I have a flight that now gets in at 10:30 the night before. I'm going to get to the station early the next morning in Budapest to try and get a sleeper ticket for that night. If there are none available, I will catch the day train to Novi Sad and then get an early train into Belgrade from there the next day.

Does anyone know please:
- What time the internationl ticket desk will be open in the morning at Budapest Keleti?

-Last time I went to the Budapest Keleti international ticket office, it was crazy and we had to queue for about an hour. If we get there when it opens, is it still this busy very early in the morning? (I am wondering whether we will be able to get on the 9am train).

-The Beograd special ticket is 15 euro. The fare to Novi Sad, although shorter, is 20 euro. Is it OK to buy the 15 euro ticket to Belgrade, but get off the train in Novi Sad? I have never been to Serbia before, so I don't know whether there is an inspector checking tickets when you gt off the train like we sometimes have in the UK. I don't want to get into any trouble!

Thanks
again :)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:47 am »

- What time the internationl ticket desk will be open in the morning at Budapest Keleti?
At 7am it should be already open, maybe they even start earlier. Wasteels office opens at 8am.
- Last time I went to the Budapest Keleti international ticket office, it was crazy and we had to queue for about an hour. If we get there when it opens, is it still this busy very early in the morning? (I am wondering whether we will be able to get on the 9am train).
Doubt it will be really busy before 9-10am. Though if you worry you can always use Wasteels office (to your right when you enter Keleti station from the street via main entrance) or use other MAV offices (like international ticket counters at Nyugati, Deli or in the city center on József Attila utca, 16), which might be even more convenient instead of going particularly to Keleti, plus there it's almost definitely will be no ques at all
-The Beograd special ticket is 15 euro. The fare to Novi Sad, although shorter, is 20 euro. Is it OK to buy the 15 euro ticket to Belgrade, but get off the train in Novi Sad? I have never been to Serbia before, so I don't know whether there is an inspector checking tickets when you gt off the train like we sometimes have in the UK. I don't want to get into any trouble!
100% ok to buy ticket till Belgrade, but get off earlier, nobody checks tickets after you get off train
Franciscaamm

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 11:33:01 am »

Hi!
Sorry to intrude :)
I also want to travel by night from Budapest - Belgrade on the 21st of August.
I have the interrail global pass so I just want to reserve the ticket, but on the website MAV it doesn't let me and I only have the option of buying the he all ticket. Can you help me?
Thank you!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines