Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  First timer needs help (Italy-Monaco/Nice)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First timer needs help (Italy-Monaco/Nice)  (Read 5804 times)
mytl_on19s

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2012, 03:55:18 pm »

Hello everyone, I am leaving for Italy this month on the 16th and fly into Rome. I am trying to find the best train route from Rome to Monaco, Nice, and Cannes. I have stared at the euro rail sites and am completely lost. I would like to try to leave rome at night and arrive in Monaco in the a.m. Then from there go to Nice, and finally Cannes. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS...LOL...Any and all help is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 11:26:28 pm by tUt » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:18:15 am »

Forget about euro rail websites, all you need is the official website of Italian Railways - trenitalia.com, there you can find timetables, fares and even purchase your ticket.
Although since there is no direct connection, it's a good idea to know how and what kind of tickets to buy in order to get from Rome to Monaco overnight for as low as possible. And here we can help. Trick with Rome-Monaco journey is to "break" your tickets via border, thus first buy national Italian ticket from Rome till the last Italian station (Ventimiglia) before French border and then a short cross-border ticket Ventimiglia-Monaco. Full fare Rome-Ventimiglia with use of ICN overnight train is 52,3 EUR (change in Genoa will be required), schedule is 23:50 dep.Rome and 9:26am arr. Ventimiglia (change in Genoa will be at 6am), such ticket you can buy at the station when already in Rome, no need to buy it online in advance. Ventimiglia-Monaco journey is <30min. and ticket cost is just 4,1 EUR (buy it already in Ventimiglia), closest train Ventimiglia-Monaco after you arrival is 9:47-10:10, so total journey Rome-Monaco will take slightly more than 10 hours and 56,4 EUR, which is a good price for a full fare standard ticket.
But if you are sure about your departure date from Rome, then you can pay even less, the thing is that for ICN overnight train from Rome to Genoa there is a limited amount of cheaper discounted tickets (offer "Super Economy" or "Economy"), it will allow you to save up to 12 euro in total. Though in order to purchase such discounted tickets you'll need to buy it in advance via TrenItalia website

Regarding Monaco-Nice and Nice-Cannes there no need to worry about anything at all, just buy regular fare ticket before departure, Monaco-Nice is 3,1 EUR, Nice-Cannes is 5,5 EUR, in both cases trains run really often
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
arrivans

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:43:17 am »

between Menton-Monaco-Nice and Nice-Cannes -and also Grasse are buses-2/3 per hour, that cost just 1 eur/ride. pay driver. In the SUMMERperiod only you can buy a dayticket for the trains in that area-start from ventimiglia, for 8 or 9 eur or so 9cheaper pp for a group) Carte Isabelle. you canNOT buy the french tickets in ventim from the ITalian windows!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines