Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:10:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  All other train travel questions  |  Sparpreis vs late trains
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sparpreis vs late trains  (Read 7677 times)
filu

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:57:41 am »

Hello,

I'm gonna travel as follows:

1. Beograd-Budapest with a normal ticket
2. Budapest - Kehl (french/german border) with the europa-special (29 eur with BC25 !!).

The problem is that I have only 16 minutes to change trains in Budapest Keleti.

In case if my miss my connection (and I have a proof for that on the Beograd-Budapest ticket), will I be still able to travel with my europa-special all the way to Kehl or just up to the German border and then I need to buy a new ticket or pray that german ticket officers understand my situation and allow me to travel anyway?

I understand that with the Europa Special in I can use only the specified trains in Germany, but abroad I can use any of them, so in this case I may get to Salzburg anyway. The problem is only the german part.

If I take the former train from Beograd I'll have to wait in Budapest more than 7 hours. Not bad for sightseeing after all, but I'd rather prefer to stay longer in Beograd.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:02:42 pm »

...pray that german ticket officers understand my situation and allow me to travel anyway?
Well, it is difficult to believe that DB officials will allow you to use other trains, unless there will be a stamp (and maybe some additional piece of paper) from MAV certifying that your previous train arrived late, thus passenger missed needed connection because of the delay caused by partner railway company. But the problem here is that Hungarians might not give it to you even if the train from Belgrade is late, because a) it's not one through ticket (with specified train on some or all the journey legs); b) change in Budapest isn't so called "guaranteed", so it's hard to believe that MAV have any obligation to make sure you make it, meaning that in eyes of MAV it's totally your and only your choice to allow such short change time in Budapest. At least if we were in such situation, then it might be a nice idea to email MAV and ask whether they will be able to help passenger (with two separate tickets) in case train from Belagrade is late. Meanwhile you can just time to time check MAV website site and see how often "Avala" does get late to Budapest, so you at least get some idea on how plausible train change scenario is   

Also a small info that maybe be useful in case of short delay (like 10-15 min.): you can win some time if you get off train at Ferencvaros station and then take local bus #103 (run often during the day) to Kelenfold station, that way you can still catch your RJ there
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines