Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Crossing Hungary/Croatia border in Beli Manastir
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crossing Hungary/Croatia border in Beli Manastir  (Read 9749 times)
cacatua

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2012, 08:02:29 pm »

Hi, in a few days I'm going to Osijek and I'll be coming from Pécs by train. But I've just noticed that there aren't any trains doing this route anymore. So I found the Croatian route which is the number 31 named Magyarboly - Beli Manastir - Osijek (you can download it here: http://www.hznet.hr/lgs.axd?t=16&id=10064 page 133 is what I'm talking about) and the Hungarian route which is the R 8114 that ends in Magyarboly. The problem is I that can't find anything that connects Magyarboly and Beli Manastir. Any experience there?
Thanks
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 01:28:56 pm »

...in a few days I'm going to Osijek and I'll be coming from Pécs by train. But I've just noticed that there aren't any trains doing this route anymore.
Yes, unfortunately direct everyday train Budapest-Sarajevo via Pecs-Osijek was canceled (as well as a number of other trains originating or transiting Croatia) since early December, so at the moment there is no connection over the border between Magyarboly and Beli Manastir
So I found the Croatian route which is the number 31 named Magyarboly - Beli Manastir - Osijek (you can download it here: http://www.hznet.hr/lgs.axd?t=16&id=10064 page 133 is what I'm talking about) and the Hungarian route which is the R 8114 that ends in Magyarboly. The problem is I that can't find anything that connects Magyarboly and Beli Manastir. Any experience there?
As was said above, unfortunately there is no more cross-border train there (as it usually happens, cancellations tend to effect small local cross-border connections). And it creates quite a problem if someone wants to get from Pecs to Osijek. Though it's only 11 km between Magyarboly and Beli Manastir, but there is no easy way to make it. Nearest road border crossing Beremend/Baranjsko Petrovo Selo apparently is an interstate one, so open only for Hungarian/Croatian citizens. As result it kind of forces to go via Mohacs-Udvar via bigger international border crossing. Although no regular bus connection there either (at least we were aren't able to find any from neither Hungarian, nor Croatian sides), so obvious choice might be just to catch local Hungarian bus till Udvar and then cross the border by foot/hitchhike (either all the way till Osijek or at least till nearest village from where there is transport to Beli Manastir/Osijek)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
cacatua

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 05:59:58 pm »

...in a few days I'm going to Osijek and I'll be coming from Pécs by train. But I've just noticed that there aren't any trains doing this route anymore.
Yes, unfortunately direct everyday train Budapest-Sarajevo via Pecs-Osijek was canceled (as well as a number of other trains originating or transiting Croatia) since early December, so at the moment there is no connection over the border between Magyarboly and Beli Manastir
So I found the Croatian route which is the number 31 named Magyarboly - Beli Manastir - Osijek (you can download it here: http://www.hznet.hr/lgs.axd?t=16&id=10064 page 133 is what I'm talking about) and the Hungarian route which is the R 8114 that ends in Magyarboly. The problem is I that can't find anything that connects Magyarboly and Beli Manastir. Any experience there?
As was said above, unfortunately there is no more cross-border train there (as it usually happens, cancellations tend to effect small local cross-border connections). And it creates quite a problem if someone wants to get from Pecs to Osijek. Though it's only 11 km between Magyarboly and Beli Manastir, but there is no easy way to make it. Nearest road border crossing Beremend/Baranjsko Petrovo Selo apparently is an interstate one, so open only for Hungarian/Croatian citizens. As result it kind of forces to go via Mohacs-Udvar via bigger international border crossing. Although no regular bus connection there either (at least we were aren't able to find any from neither Hungarian, nor Croatian sides), so obvious choice might be just to catch local Hungarian bus till Udvar and then cross the border by foot/hitchhike (either all the way till Osijek or at least till nearest village from where there is transport to Beli Manastir/Osijek)
Thanks tUt, looks pretty ugly to me, no buses, no trains... I can't imagine myself hiking with a 15kg bag, anyway that's Ok I'll try to find a solution  :)
emmeff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:08:24 pm »

Hey, cacatua.

How did you go with this border crossing? I'm looking at taking that same route in the next few days. I'm especially interested in the suggestion that the crossing at Beremend is restricted to locals.

tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:40:28 pm »

I'm especially interested in the suggestion that the crossing at Beremend is restricted to locals.
Well, before it was clearly written regarding this border crossing that it is "međudržavni (=interstate) granični cestovni prijelaz II. kategorije", but now rechecked and it seems that something had changed, since nowadays it is already listed as "Stalni granični prijelazi za međunarodni (=international) promet putnika". With "interstate" crossing obviously it's only for Hungarians/Croatians, while with "international" it's for everybody. Anyways, we suggest you simply to email Croatian/Hungarian border guards and directly ask whether citizen with other passport can cross the border at that border crossing.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines