Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Sightseeing in Germany
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sightseeing in Germany  (Read 8143 times)
joode

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:42:04 am »

Hi tUt,
I last contacted you in 2010 re trains in Central Europe where you gave me excellent advice and help. 
This time we will be on a cruise out of Amsterdam calling in at ports in the Baltic Sea.  The first port is Warnemunde, Germany and we are a group of 4 who would like to take a train to Schwerin (to see the castle) and stop off at Rostock on our return journey before returning to Warnemunde where the ship will be leaving port at around 11.30pm. 
I have looked at the Bahn.de site and find it a little confusing!  I would appreciate your help with a few items.

How do I book a Mecklenberg-Vorpommurn ticket?  This seems to be the best idea though I realiise it can't be used on IC trains.

Does this pass cover all 4 of us for our outward and return journey?

I believe we have to change trains at Rostock  - can we get on and off any time and return at any time?  Why I ask is that it the website asks for a departure and return time.

Can it be booked online and can I print the ticket?

Is there any advantage in booking early?  (we are not travelling until May 2013)

What price should we pay?

If, for some reason, we are delayed and I have to change the day - is that possible?

Thanking you in advance,
Kind regards,
Joode
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:43:22 am »

This seems to be the best idea though I realiise it can't be used on IC trains.
Yes, you absolutely right, for a group of 4 people Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket (Mecklenburg-West-Pommerania-Ticket) is the best option. And don't worry about IC or ICE trains, for both legs from Warnemünde to Rostock and from Rostock to Schwerin those aren't really an option, because it's all about S-bahn (urban) and Regional trains here. And anyway since it's only hour and a half journey from Warnemünde to Schwerin you'll hardly regret not having a possibility to use IC/ICE trains
Does this pass cover all 4 of us for our outward and return journey?
Yep, 34 euro (price of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket  for 4 passengers) will cover any journeys in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern during the whole day (from 9am on weekdays or from 0am on weekend and holidays)
I believe we have to change trains at Rostock  - can we get on and off any time and return at any time?  Why I ask is that it the website asks for a departure and return time.
Yes, you can easily get off or board any train (as far as it is REX, RB, RE or S-Bahn) and make any stopovers you like. Regarding DB website that asks for departure time there is a small, but important nuance. If you try to buy it using DB timetable search, then it will be sold with link to specific trains you choose, thus you in advance tie yourself to only those trains. But if you purchase same Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket at the station in Warnemünde, then it won't be linked to any specific train, thus you will be free to go and stop anywhere. Same things happens once you purchase your Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket not from timetable page, but directly in TicketShop. Though we would advise you not to think about it in advance and don't bother with online purchase. Buy it already in Warnemünde from DB ticket machine and don't worry
Can it be booked online and can I print the ticket?
Yes, you can book it via the link we've provided above, but again what's the point? You can buy same ticket for the same price already in Warnemünde before departure
Is there any advantage in booking early?  (we are not travelling until May 2013)
No, at least at the moment fares for all the Lander Tickets like Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket are the same no matter when you purchase. The only difference is that if you buy them from the ticket counter you'll be charged additional 2 euro, that is why better to buy via DB ticket machines and pay 34 euro instead of 36 euro at the counter
If, for some reason, we are delayed and I have to change the day - is that possible?
Well, this is one of the reasons why it doesn't really make sense to buy Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket online & in advance ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
joode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 12:12:25 am »

Many thanks tUt,  you have confirmed all my questions.  The only reason I wanted to buy the tickets online prior to arriving there was to avoid any queueing problems at machines on the Warnemunde station as with over 2,000 people disembarking from the cruise ship there is bound to be some confusion. 

Just one more thing - do you have any tips for using the machines?  I assume you can choose English as an option but are they tricky to use or relatively simple?

Thanks,
Joode
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:29:13 pm »

The only reason I wanted to buy the tickets online prior to arriving there was to avoid any queueing problems at machines on the Warnemunde station as with over 2,000 people disembarking from the cruise ship there is bound to be some confusion.
Well, if everybody decides to use the train, then it is indeed might get crowded, but probably most will try to purchase tickets via ticket counter. Anyway, if there is an internet connection & chance to print your ticket on board, then you still can purchase it like the evening before arrival to Warnemünde, however remember to do so directly via TicketShop (link in previous post) and via timetable search   

do you have any tips for using the machines?  I assume you can choose English as an option but are they tricky to use or relatively simple?
Compared to some other ticket vending machines, ones used by DB are relatively easy to use and definitely have English interface, ticket machines will look more or less like this. DB also have a guide on how to use them, but unfortunately it is only in German, so it might give you at least some partial acquaintance)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
joode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:35:25 am »

Thanks tUt,  I'm sure I will be able to figure it out.  It can't be any worse than some of the cash machines I have encountered in various countries.
Thanks for your help once again.
Joode. ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines