Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Budapest to Venice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapest to Venice  (Read 6680 times)
ruttweiler

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:54:04 am »

So myself and a few of my Canadian friends are doing a 3 month euro trip this summer, but we've been having some confusions about booking trains. Right now we are looking to book a train from Budapest to Venice. The amount of time to get there is not a concern but we were hoping to leave Budapest July 24th (flexible for the 25th). What would be the cheapest train between the two places for three people?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:29:37 am »

What would be the cheapest train between the two places for three people?
The problem here is that direct overnight train between Budapest and Venice was canceled a few years ago, so at the moment it's a bit more complicated to travel from Hungary to Italy. Nevertheless, there are a couple option which might be considered:
a) travel via Vienna (either with direct overnight trains from Vienna to Venice or daytime train+bus connection), in this case Vienna to Venice ticket can be purchased for as low as 29 euro per person (guide how to do it http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Austria-OeBB.html), though since this fare is for the discounted tickets, which are in limited number per each departure, it is a good idea to buy such tickets in advance. Budapest to Vienna can be done for as low as 13 euro (guide on ticket purchase - http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Hungary-MAV.html)
b) travel via Croatia and/or Slovenia. There is an everyday direct carriage from Budapest to Ljubljana (39 euro for one way ticket), though it arrives quite late, so you'll have to spend night in Slovenia and continue to Venice in the morning (either via Nova Gorica-Gorizia or Sezana-Trieste). Alternatively on July 25 there will be direct overnight train from Budapest to Ljubljana, ticket here will be a bit more expensive, but at the same time you can continue to Italy right away once you arrive to Slovenia early morning
c) travel by air. Might sound strange, but actually cheapest option can be to use low-cost airlines. First of all there is a direct RyanAir flight from Budapest to Venice-Treviso, then there is also RyanAir flight to Milan-Bergamo (from where you can easily catch cheap train to Venice), plus besides RyanAir travelers can use another low-cost airline - WizzAir, they fly from Budapest to Milan-Malpensa airport. So in total all these flights make almost an everyday cheap alternative to get from Budapest to Venice (even if it will require a few hour ride by Italian train, like from Milan/Bergamo to Venice). Though from out experience there is a small trick with purchasing tickets for low-cost flights in Europe - buying too early or too late can be rather expensive, so we would not recommend to buy now for July departure, it might be too early. Usually best prices is available 3-2 month in advance (however this observation is purely experiential, so we can't give you any guarantees)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
ruttweiler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:03 am »

Wow, that was a very useful post and very quick. Thank you very much. I had looked into flights but the cheapest fares were the 23rd and the 27th, which really didn't work too well with our schedule. If what you say turns out to be true we might just check in again for fares closer to the 2-3 month mark.

We are going to have quite a few more stops along the way so I will definitely keep you guys in mind the next time a question pops up. Thanks again from an extremely grateful Canadian traveller!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:00 pm »

I had looked into flights but the cheapest fares were the 23rd and the 27th, which really didn't work too well with our schedule. If what you say turns out to be true we might just check in again for fares closer to the 2-3 month mark.
Well, as of now you can get RyanAir flight Budapest-Milan(Bergamo) for 33 euro (July 24), but if I were you, I would probably wait for some low-cost airlines promo campaigns & offers in April/May
Thanks again from an extremely grateful Canadian traveller!
You're welcome, we always glad to help fellow travelers ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines