Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Budapest to Salzburg (mavstart.hu website)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapest to Salzburg (mavstart.hu website)  (Read 6513 times)
1_am_tim

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2013, 12:53:33 am »

Hi,

I have been trying to use the Mavstart.hu website to find prices for tickets from Budapest to Salzburg. The trains guide for this website is very helpful.

I was looking at trips in late August for two people and the timetables page shows plenty of trips on this route. However, when I look to find out how much the price for these tickets will be on the 'tickets and prices' tab, it comes up with ‘No offer available for the journey with these conditions.’

If you are able to suggest how I might be able to solve this problem that would be great.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:23:33 pm by tUt » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:27:02 am »

Hi Tim,

The thing with Hungarian Railways (MAV) is that they start tickets sale (including those tickets sold online via MAV website) only 60 days in advance, so you obviously can't see (and can't purchase) tickets & prices for August. If you check earlier dates inside the ticket sale range, then you'll get an idea.
To simplify, in case of Budapest to Salzburg you have three relatively cheap options: a) purchase in advance discounted 29 euro tickets for direct daytime Rail Jet trains; b) don't bother with any ticket purchase in advance and buy your tickets already in Budapest form the ticket counter, here you'll need so-called "Excursion ticket" (Kirándulójegy in Hungarian), those are 39 euro per person (you can buy them as well via MAV website, but price at the ticket counter is the same, so no need to bother with MAV online ticket shop) and finally c) purchase two separate tickets - first one discounted one-way from Budapest to Vienna (13 euro, via MAV website), while second (can buy it for the same Budapest-Vienna-Salzburg train) from Vienna to Salzburg (from 19 euro, via Austrian Railways website). Guide on how to purchase Hungarian train tickets - http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Hungary-MAV.html , Austrian train tickets - http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Austria-OeBB.html
If you have further questions or can't find something - let us know, we always here to help ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines