Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  All other train travel questions  |  Night train from Brasov to Budapest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Night train from Brasov to Budapest  (Read 18449 times)
rosanads

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2013, 05:51:31 am »

I'm trying to buy 2 tickets of Fortuna night train from Brasov to Budapest (couchette).
The MAV website says: Tickets purchased shall be printed at one of the ticket collection points in Hungary before travelling. How come? iI'll be leaving from Romania! Can't I buy these tickets from the MAV website?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:11:53 pm »

The MAV website says: Tickets purchased shall be printed at one of the ticket collection points in Hungary before travelling. How come?
Unfortunately when passengers purchase international tickets (including discounted & offers) via MAV website Ticket Shop at the end they get not really a ticket, but just a code, which can be exchanged for a real ticket only with a help of MAV ticket machines (located at major train train station in Hungary). If you aren't able to print your ticket via MAV ticket machine, then obviously it's useless to buy it via MAV website, because you won't able to use it. Your case with Brasov to Budapest is exactly like this.
Another frustrating thing is that Romanian Railways (CFR) doesn't sell international tickets online, so at the end your only choice is to buy ticket already in Romania at the ticket counter (obviously unless you will be in Hungry before the Brasov-Budapest trip or somebody in Hungary can print it for you and then mail it, in such case MAV website Ticket shop is a solution)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
rosanads

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:03:56 pm »

Thanks for the reply.
Do you know if buying the tickets via phone is available? I mean, will I have the tickets sent to my email? I sent an email yesterday to MAV but still have no answer.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »

Do you know if buying the tickets via phone is available? I mean, will I have the tickets sent to my email?
To our knowledge neither Hungarian Railways (MAV), nor Romanian (CFR) doesn't offer ticket sale by phone, but even if they did, it wouldn't be self-printed tickets anyway (so definitely no ticket by email), maximum would have been an ordinary paper ticket sent  by regular mail.
Anyway, since you travel from Romania to Hungary, it makes sense first of all to contact Romanian Railways at cfrcalatori.ro/contact
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
rosanads

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 06:37:07 pm »

The trip will be in June 18. Do you know if at this time of the year is hard to find tickets for this night train Brasov-Budapest? Again, thanks for the reply!
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »

The trip will be in June 18. Do you know if at this time of the year is hard to find tickets for this night train Brasov-Budapest?
Mid June is usually not yet the peak period, plus at that point there will be 3 direct overnight trains from Brasov to Budapest, so it's 99,9% that you won't have any problems buying tickets already in Brasov, since it is very & very unlikely that all three trains will be fully sold out. Just buy it already in Romania and don't worry ;)
rosanads

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 06:48:53 pm »

Thank you so much!!!  :)
Ivany

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:28 am »

Hello, I'm also trying to buy a Night train ticket from Brasov to Budapest but I really couldn't finish it... it's really difficult to understand how to buy tickets online.
I'm planning my travel to mid August and I'd like to know if I can have problems buying the ticket only two or three days before the journey in Romania.
Can you tell me if this travel is comfortable?
Tks a lot
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 11:51:02 am »

I'm also trying to buy a Night train ticket from Brasov to Budapest but I really couldn't finish it... it's really difficult to understand how to buy tickets online.
Unfortunately situation didn't change much compared to what it used to be 2 years ago - it is still impossible to purchase international tickets via Romanian Railways (CFR) official website. Obviously unless you willing to risk & overpay using some agency's services.
I'm planning my travel to mid August and I'd like to know if I can have problems buying the ticket only two or three days before the journey in Romania.
Doubt that there will be any problems buying ticket 2-3 days in advance (NB: remember that you can purchase such ticket not only in Brasov, but basically any Romanian ticket counter). There are 4 overnight trains from Brasov to Budapest, so it's highly unlikely that all of them will be sold out, especially on a week day. The only trouble is that 2-3 days in advance all the discounted promo fare tickets (start from only 19 euro) would probably be sold out, so you'll have to pay standard fare ticket price (which is almost 50 euro for the ticket + seat/berth reservation)
Can you tell me if this travel is comfortable?
Well, it depends on your idea of comfortable (e.g. depending on the train you can expect sleepers look something like this, seat compartments like this or this), but in general international trains in that part of Europe usually tend to have newer/more comfortable carriages than domestic ones
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines