Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Europa-Special question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Europa-Special question  (Read 8595 times)
filu

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:22:52 am »

Hi,

Soon I will travel with a Europa-Special Connection from Kehl to Budapest two way.  This is what is written on my ticket:

H: <1080>(07.05.2013)NV*FR-Hbf 17:30 BUS42111/M-Ha.Br*NV*(08.05.2013) Salzbur 7:02 RJ49

R: <1080>(12.05.2013)NV*(13.05.2013)KA-Hbf 5:42 IC60458/Offenbg*NV

VIA: Salzburg<1181>Purkersdorf-Sana.*Wien*Kledering*Hegyeshalom(Gr)<1155>Gyoer

I understad that the "zugbinding" works only in Germany and once I cross the border I may take virtually any train according to the VIA section. My timetable suggests Railjet from Salzburg to Budapest both ways. However, I on my way 'there' I arrive in Salzburg at 0:42 (RE from Munich) so I wouldn't like to wait overnight, but move onwards with EN to Budapest at 2am or 4am to Budapest, or at least with the early morning IC train o VIenna (to sleep in a train and not in the city). At least that was my intention when I was buying the ticket but ...

1. "Salzbur 7:02 RJ49" - that means even in Austria I am 'binded' to the morning Railjet? I've never seen it before for connections abroad... It's a first time I see it !! (nothing like that on the return ticket)

2. If for some reasons I am not binded in Austria, can I use any of the EN trains to arrive in Budapest earlier? I don't see reservation obligation for both EN trains... (at least not in Austria and Hungary). It's only the one at 2am which is globally priced.

Filip

tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:19:46 pm »

1. "Salzbur 7:02 RJ49" - that means even in Austria I am 'binded' to the morning Railjet? I've never seen it before for connections abroad... It's a first time I see it !! (nothing like that on the return ticket)
Well, apparently the problem pope-up because for DB website Salzburg is a DB station, thus in a situation like yours system simply interpreted Salzburg as DB and "assigned" particular train. At least it seems like an explanation.
Anyway, from my knowledge nothing really changed in terms of "zugbindung" and it's still about DB (+ gr. point) only.
Btw, a bit similar problem was already discussed in one of the ice-treff topics here, so maybe it would be helpful to read through that as well (if my German doesn't deceit me, then colleagues ended up with the same opinion that any train can be used for Austrian part)   
2. If for some reasons I am not binded in Austria, can I use any of the EN trains to arrive in Budapest earlier?
Not an OeBB conductor, but don't see why you can't
I don't see reservation obligation for both EN trains... (at least not in Austria and Hungary).
No, it's not required
It's only the one at 2am which is globally priced.
Well, de-facto "Wiener Walzer" is priced globalpreis in terms of SBB-OeBB/MAV, while "Imre Kalman" not listed just as globapreis, it's a "mix" with fares given both as "Aufpreiszug MAV - DB" and "Globalpreis Erwachsene"
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:14:51 pm »

Well, de-facto "Wiener Walzer" is priced globalpreis in terms of SBB-OeBB/MAV, while "Imre Kalman" not listed just as globapreis, it's a "mix" with fares given both as "Aufpreiszug MAV - DB" and "Globalpreis Erwachsene"

I'm sorry but it's not clear to me ...

Logically thinking I see I can use both of them as they simply don't require reservation (at least between Salzburg and Budapest), but all this aufpreis/globalpreis/supplement information looks scary :-)

EN463 says "Global price or ticket plus supplement" so it seems I need some sort of supplement... (even though there is no "subject to compulsory reservation" notice) Does it concern only sleepers?
EN467 I also see that it is reservation-free, but your statement about the aufpreis sounds contrary...
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:41:18 pm »

Logically thinking I see I can use both of them as they simply don't require reservation (at least between Salzburg and Budapest), but all this aufpreis/globalpreis/supplement information looks scary :-)
Sorry, just went into a lot of unnecessary details about variable nuances of tariffication :)
And yes, your logic seems right - use of both without any supplements or reservations is possible
EN463 says "Global price or ticket plus supplement" so it seems I need some sort of supplement...
Most likely it refers to tickets Germany-Hungary, for which on top of regular SCIC-NRT ticket special 5 euro extra charge/reservation (tariff code 44) required, with Austria-Hungary journeys it's not required
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines