Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Best Way to use my eurail select pass
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Way to use my eurail select pass  (Read 8087 times)
narayansmate

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2013, 05:39:33 am »

I bought (yes, stupidly) a eurail select pass which i plan to use across germany and benelux. Any ideas on how i can best use it to get the most value and avoid paying more? Thanking any and all in advance.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:01:39 pm »

Well, answer a lot depends on your itinerary and how many travel days you actually have with your Eurail Select Pass. Generally it's a good idea simply to list all the potential journeys you intend to take and if you can't cover all of them with you pass travel days, then you should check "cheapest"/shortest journeys on the list for which it's will be ok to buy regular full fare standard ticket instead of using travel day from your pass. Majority of standard fares you can find on official page of German Railways (DB) - bahn.de
Regarding issues with seat reservations you more or less have nothing to worry here, since Germany and Benelux countries almost don't have trains with obligatory seat reservations (should be purchased on top of the pass), as result you can just hop on/hop off on almost any train without need to think about reserving a seat. Seat reservations obligatory only for ICE Sprinter trains in Germany and for Thalys/Fyra high-speed trains in Belgium/Netherlands
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
arrivans

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 02:41:00 pm »

you cannot use Thalys with that pass.
FYRA is limited to some hi-speed trains In NL now only and these require-also with that pass-the 2,30 supplmt to be paid. it is also NON RES. This does NOT mean you can sit anywhre-other people may have reserved and these seats are marked-for teh sector for whcih. So use eyes and look before sitting down. in Germany FRI and SUN afternoon-eves can be very busy.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:06:03 pm »

you cannot use Thalys with that pass.
Arrivans, are you sure? It seems that both Eurail & Interrail are still valid for Thalys, at least Thalys website confirms it
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines