Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Tirana to Ljubljana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tirana to Ljubljana  (Read 9625 times)
Digits

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:44:19 am »

Hello.

I am flying into Tirana and flying out of Ljubljana five days later in mid-August. I plan to spend time in Tirana, Sarajevo and Ljubljana.

I would have loved to spend more time in the region, but am unfortunately constrained time wise. Given that, what are the best ways to go from Tirana to Sarajevo and then from Sarajevo to Ljubljana. And no problem if I have to stay overnight somewhere in Montenegro or Croatia.

Thanks in advance for the help.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 02:01:45 pm »

"Best ways" is kind of relative here, since on some cases there aren't many options to begin with, especially when it comes to rail transport 

Between Albania and Montenegro there is no passengers train service, so as far as you can get by train in Albania is Shkoder, while from there you can take bus to Montenegro (buses from Shkoder to Ulcinj run few times per day). Also it has been reported that there are some semiofficial transport directly from Tirana to Ulcinj, however for the up to date info on that it will be better to ask already in Tirana (e.g. hotel management in Tirana would probably help here).
From Ulcinj you have two options: a) travel directly to Sarajevo (apparently during summer season there is daytime (7:30-17:20) and overnight (20:00-6:30) direct buses) or b) first travel to Podgorica and from there take one of the multiple buses to BiH capital (bus schedule Ulcinj-Podgorica and Podgorica-Sarajevo can be found here)
With Sarajevo to Ljubljana you also can not count on direct train, however with one change in Croatia (Zagreb) the journey is pretty easy. First direct train from Sarajevo to Zagreb (10:46-19:51) and then another one from Zagreb to Ljubljana (21:20-23:37). In case you don't want to spend entire day for the journey, then also possible to take direct overnight bus from Sarajevo to Ljubljana (however night on the bus might not be the most desired option) 
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Digits

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:03 pm »

Thanks tUt.

I actually called the hotel where I will be staying a few minutes ago and inquired about taxis, and I was told they could arrange a taxi from Tirana to Sarajevo for US $76, which sounds very reasonable. Is it?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:41:19 pm »

I actually called the hotel where I will be staying a few minutes ago and inquired about taxis, and I was told they could arrange a taxi from Tirana to Sarajevo for US $76, which sounds very reasonable. Is it?
Well, $76 sounds even a bit unreal, imho. It's almost 400 km via two borders and entire Montenegro. Generally prices in the region aren't very high compared to other parts of Europe, but still... be careful and make sure that it's not the price for Albanian leg only or something like that.
NB: by public transport the journey (Tirana-Shkoder-Ulcinj-(Sarajevo)-Podogrica) should be about 30 euro (app. 40 USD)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
arrivans

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »

in fact I am much more blunt: this is a nonsense journey-you have to spend some 3 out of those 5 days in bus or train.
Trains are often, more as a rule then not. very, very heavily delayed, esp. those via Beograd/Serbije. There are also remains of a heavy storm last spring, destroying tracks in many points.
There is just 1 train left Tir-Shk, late in the afternoon, which means you have to overnight there. BUSes run ev 20./30 mins, minivans (furgon) maybe even more). You need a spy to find out from where they leave though.
Your basic choice in old Yugosl. is via the coast-as far as Split, or inland-via either bweograd or Sarajevo. Along the coast gives you more trips, except direct MOntenegro-Hrvatska (Croatia for you), for SUMMERtime.
Tir to SJ for about 50/60 eur in taxi is damn cheap-I highly doubt if that is indeed feasible-or they mean just 1 out of 5 seats?-and you are left to find 4 more people? Noone around there uses US$-nor should you. Cash € are also taken in many countries that do not use it as official.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines