Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Munich-Prague-Wrocław-Berlin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Munich-Prague-Wrocław-Berlin  (Read 13232 times)
warlord

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »

Ok getting things set up here for my next trip in May and need some advice.

Munich - Prague (Saturday)
  I was hearing that there is a bus that is pretty direct that is a lot quicker than taking the train.  I am just curious how long and how much the train is compared to the bus.  I would like to leave early on that Sat to get to Prague as early as I can.

Prague - Wrocław
  Seems www.cd.cz isn't showing me any possible trains for leaving on a Tues morning between these two cities.  Am I missing something? Another site I saw the price was horrible (2,806 kr) which seems way to crazy to be correct.  Also http://www.intercity.pl/ is not showing any direct trains at all and need to change in Katowice which I don't want to do.

I found one bus http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusymhdvse/spojeni/, but I can't seem to view the prices.

I did notice for about $10 US a bus from http://www.polskibus.com/.  Thinking that might be the best way to go. 

Wrocław-Berlin
  Don't know about buses, but do see on http://www.intercity.pl/ there are trains.  Though I'm not able to view the pricing of that.  Maybe there is a bus as well?  http://www.polskibus.com/ doesn't seem to have a connection between these two cities however, so not sure if there is another bus option at all.

Thanks once again for your help, you've always made my travels so much easier...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:46:59 pm by warlord » Logged
PeterSz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:28 am »

First train to Prague departs 04:55 arrives to Prague at 10:44.

First DB bus departs at 8:00 arrives at 12:39.

I would thought that users of the EuropeTRAINSguide.com forum need no convincing why is it better the travel by train, than by bus, but here is a reminder: trains are more comfortable, safer, sustainable.

Here is elaborate info on the Munich-Prague connection:

http://www.seat61.com/munich-to-prague-by-train.htm#.UtRz8v13vcs

tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:32:57 am »

I was hearing that there is a bus that is pretty direct that is a lot quicker than taking the train.
Well, there are a number of bus companies on the route from Munich to Prague (EuroLines, Student Agency, DB), but fastest bus travel time is 4:39 min., others have 5+ hours, thus buses aren't essentially faster. 
I am just curious how long and how much the train is compared to the bus.
Fastest (DB buses) cost at least 29 euro (tickets can be bought via DB website), while for EuroLines (Touring Bohemia) there are sometimes promo offers and if you lucky it's possible to travel for as cheap as 9 euro (although more often promo would be like 19)

Seems www.cd.cz isn't showing me any possible trains for leaving on a Tues morning between these two cities.  Am I missing something?
No direct trains here already for many years, however Czech Railways offer ok options with change (in Pardubice, Ústí n.Orlicí/Lichkov), for instance 5:39-10:58 or 7:52-13:38. Plus via CD eShop it will be just 479 CZK, which is a good price for a train.
Another site I saw the price was horrible (2,806 kr) which seems way to crazy to be correct.
No way, even full fare bought in Prague before departure is just 32 euro (app.900 CZK), so 2800 CZK is a scam from some agency or crazy resellers. 

need to change in Katowice which I don't want to do.
Going via Katowice is possible, but definitely not reasonable
I found one bus http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusymhdvse/spojeni/, but I can't seem to view the prices.
It's not just one bus, available already mentioned EuroLines, then also Alambus and finally cheapest (if bought in advance) PolskiBus.

Though I'm not able to view the pricing of that.
You can see prices (both standard & discounted) + buy tickets via DB website 
Maybe there is a bus as well? polskibus  doesn't seem to have a connection between these two cities however, so not sure if there is another bus option at all.
PolskiBus goes from Poznan, so you can travel Wroclaw-Poznan first (bus or train) and then catch PolskiBus or SimpleExpress to Berlin. However there are also direct buses from Wroclaw to Berlin - for instance EuroLines
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:40:12 am »

First DB bus departs at 8:00 arrives at 12:39.
Besides buses that DB runs, there is also a number of other companies, so it's possible to start even earlier than 8am ;)

I would thought that users of the EuropeTRAINSguide.com forum need no convincing why is it better the travel by train, than by bus, but here is a reminder: trains are more comfortable, safer, sustainable.
Well, not everybody would choose train if it's more expensive or travel time by bus is less (both things happen time to time). It just some people aren't among those weirdos (like us) who would prefer to travel by train no matter what  ;D And it's totally understandable, we are always ready to help anyways, even if it's about buses, ferries, airplanes etc.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:00:31 pm »

Great thanks for the advice and I will check into all those options.

Only reason I mention buses on here is because TuT has in the past recommended them to me in both Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania and Bulgaria as being better options than the train.  Plus all the ones I've been on had free WiFi and were really comfortable (more so that the trains I've been on).

But in the end, I'm up for using either the train or the bus, which ever gets me there with the least amount of hassle and for the best price and best times.

warlord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »

So if I were to take the train from Munich to Prague then, what is the price range for that?  Also will I have to change trains in either Nürnberg or Plzen?  So far all I'm seeing is a combination of the train and bus changing in Nürnberg.

tUt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:08:39 pm »

So if I were to take the train from Munich to Prague then, what is the price range for that?  Also will I have to change trains in either Nürnberg or Plzen?  So far all I'm seeing is a combination of the train and bus changing in Nürnberg.
There are a couple direct ALX trains per day (e.g. 4:55-10:44, 9:01-14:44 etc. DB website shows the schedule), standard fare is 69 euro, however with this category of trains it's possible to use Bavaria-Bohemia tickets. For one passenger Bavaria-Bohemia tickets is just 25 euro and it can be used from Munich to Plzen. While from Plzen to Prague it's possible to buy second ticket from CD eShop (from 95 CZK), better to buy for the same Munich-Prague train and as result you won't even need to get of in Plzen, but just have two seperate tickets - one for Munich-Plzen leg and other one for Plzen-Prague
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:49:25 pm »

Ok I'll check more on the Alx trains closer to the date when they get updated on https://www.cd.cz/eshop/ as right now they don't go out as far as May.  Looking at similar travel times on Saturdays in Feb look like they are running about 26€ for the direct train.  So will just need to check back when they have May up and I'll see if I will do that or do the Eurolines. 

The early train would be the best if I can get it as the earliest Euroline arrives at noon...
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 01:29:18 pm »

Ok I'll check more on the Alx trains closer to the date when they get updated on https://www.cd.cz/eshop/ as right now they don't go out as far as May.  Looking at similar travel times on Saturdays in Feb look like they are running about 26€ for the direct train.  So will just need to check back when they have May up
Ticket sales generally start 60 days in advance, but Czech discounted self-printed tickets are a bit tricky. Majority of such tickets aren't valid unless stamped by CD conductor/official, thus for instance it's impossible to travel Vienna-Prague with Czech eTicket bought via CD eShop, because there is no way to find Czech conductor in Austria. Meaning that you can't use Czech self-printed international eTickets unless you can stamp them in Czech Republic. Official formulation of this rule is "It is necessary to have an international ticket stamped by a ČD conductor or at a ČD ticket counter prior to crossing the international border."
However (and it came as a surprise, since it wasn't there before) Czech Railways also add that "This condition does not apply to journeys to Germany.", so judging from this note it means that passengers indeed can purchase Czech discounted self-printed ticket via eShop and travel route like Munich-Prague without Czech stamp. Although maybe before purchasing it will make sense to email CD and make sure it's indeed what it means, 100% assurance from CD will definitely close the question.
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 07:00:02 pm »

Sounds a bit risky as even if the website shows you can get the tickets online with out that stamp issue for trains to Germany, the conductors themselves my not know that yet and it might be hard to explain that.

So will check closer and see what happens, if not though I can just get the bus ticket as I won't have that issue and I'm sure same day tickets or 2 days in advance train tickets to Prague will probably be expensive without any discounts getting them at the station...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines