Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:28:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Munich to Füssen (Hohenschwangau Castle)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Munich to Füssen (Hohenschwangau Castle)  (Read 10920 times)
warlord

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »

Another quick question:

So I know there are several trains that I can take from Munich to Füssen to see the castle and lake and maybe stroll over to Austria.  I see the Laender pass (Bayern-Ticket) on Bahn is showing as 23€ after 9am (until 3am).  So that of course allows me unlimited travel on all the trains and S-Bahn in Bavaria it seems (for a Wednesday) I believe.

Now I looked on Bahn's site and was curious about trains that left before 9am (so I could get down there earlier) and it seems there are some and that I can get a Bayern-Ticket (return Journey) for 48.50€.  So I am confused about this since I thought the Bayern is only good after 9am.

I'm just trying to see what the cost would be if I left on a earlier train before 9am.  Or if it's just really worth it to just get the Bayern ticket for 23€ and leave after 9am instead and spent less time down there?

Thanks again...
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:02:53 pm »

Now I looked on Bahn's site and was curious about trains that left before 9am (so I could get down there earlier) and it seems there are some and that I can get a Bayern-Ticket (return Journey) for 48.50€.  So I am confused about this since I thought the Bayern is only good after 9am.
Yes, Bavaria Ticket is valid only from 9am on weekdays and you can't change that. What DB website shows you for 48,5 euro is basically a combination of full fare ticket (25,5 euro) Munich-Fussen for your outward trip starting before 9am and actual Bavaria-Ticket for 23 euro for your return leg, so 25,5+23=48,5

I'm just trying to see what the cost would be if I left on a earlier train before 9am.
Well, earliest direct train to Fussen leaves at 7:53am, so basically you don't need to pay full fare for the entire trip here, but just full fare ticket till the station this direct train passes at 9am (roughly half way between Munich and Fussen). While for the rest of the outward journey and for the entire return trip you can just get 23 euro Bavaria Ticket.
In practice such trick would look like this - in Munich you buy Bavaria Ticket + standard ticket Munich-Kaufbeuren (from this station earliest direct train Munich-Fussen departs exactly at 9am) for 17,4 euro, thus in total costs would be 23+17,4=40,4 euro. Then board the 7:53 train and until Kaufbeuren you show conductor you full fare standard ticket, while after your Bavaria-Ticket

Otherwise, choice whether to pay 40,4 euro and have an extra hour or pay just 23 euro is totally yours
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:54:56 pm »

That would save me some money at least.  And I assume I don't even need to leave the train, just show the Bayern pass at Kaufbeuren when asked by the conductor assuming the train doesn't leave there before 9am correct?    Trains I also assume will never leave early either, meaning I won't get caught leaving Kaufbeuren and it's not quite 9am?

Oh another question about the German trains, is one allowed to bring a bottle of wine to just drink in 2nd class?  I have heard this is not a problem, but every nation I think is different and would like to just make sure I am allowed to do this heading back from Füssen to Munich?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:19:31 pm »

That would save me some money at least.  And I assume I don't even need to leave the train, just show the Bayern pass at Kaufbeuren when asked by the conductor assuming the train doesn't leave there before 9am correct?    Trains I also assume will never leave early either, meaning I won't get caught leaving Kaufbeuren and it's not quite 9am?
No need to leave the train whatsoever, because till Kaufbeuren you will have a valid ticket, while dep. from Kaufbeuren is officially at 9:00am, so Bavaria Ticket will kick in exactly at the time of departure from the station.
Maybe before the actual journey just make sure that for the day you intend to travel on there are no changes in schedule or something like that

Oh another question about the German trains, is one allowed to bring a bottle of wine to just drink in 2nd class?  I have heard this is not a problem, but every nation I think is different and would like to just make sure I am allowed to do this heading back from Füssen to Munich?
Never tried it, but according to wikipedia it is allowed  ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

... just make sure that for the day you intend to travel on there are no changes in schedule or something like that

Oh good advice and I'll do that.  Leaving at that time will give me extra time there and hopefully beat some of the crowds at the castle parts at least.

Never tried it, but according to wikipedia it is allowed  ;)

Yes I read a lot that says it is, I just want make sure I don't get in trouble.  I contacted Bahn already, so will see if they respond...
arrivans

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 02:43:50 pm »

Anyone can drink alco on DB/German trains EXCEPT at some days when it is forbidden and then clearly announced-usually when big footballmatches take place. ad you do not need to hide it in brown bags either etc.
YOu will often see people go around trains and looking for empty cans/bottles, as they have a 25 ct deposit on them.
Munchen is famous for its Beerfestival late sept-and at that time the big station is full of what Germans call ''bierleichen''= beer dead bodies, for people having drunk too much and lying unconscious-till first train in the morning.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines