Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  All other train travel questions  |  Milan-Engelberg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Milan-Engelberg  (Read 23795 times)
Natheart

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:40:54 am »

HI!

i'm bringing my Family for our first holiday!

We planning to go Milan - Engelberg (Mt Titlis) den fly to London.
How do i travel from MiLan to Engelberg by train? will i have to do a "milan-zurichHB-Lucerne-Engelberg" or there are other option?

tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:21 am »

Getting to Mt.Titlis from the south/southeast (canton Uri) is a bit difficult, so this geographically most direct way probably isn't an option here. It means that coming from the north (-->visiting Luzern) is kind of inevitable, however there is absolutely no need to travel all the way to Zurich. From Milan to Luzern there is both direct rail connection from Milan and multiple options requiring only one train change (can be done in Lugano, Arth-Goldau or Olten). Swiss railway network map can be found here
But in order to determine the best (price/time) option it will be good if you can tell us the time of the day you want to arrive to Luzern/Engelberg or dep. from Milan + app. date of the journey (many discounted train tickets require in advance purchase, so it is important to know whether you plan to travel tomorrow or in a few month)

p.s. overall travel time between Milan and Engelberg during the day is between 5:30 and 6 hours (including all the train changes)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Natheart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 11:36:16 am »

I plan to leave Milan on the 21st december 2014 morning train , theres no overnight train is there was hoping if there is i can leave 20th night?
There are 8 of us ... 7 + 1 (4year old child)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:07 pm »

I plan to leave Milan on the 21st december 2014 morning train , theres no overnight train is there was hoping if there is i can leave 20th night?
a) overnight journey isn't really an option here (at least when we speak about rail connection), and obviously unless you want to make something like a late night stopover somewhere in the middle (e.g. Lugano); b) dates after the mid. December are a bit tricky, since it's the time when almost entire Europe changes train schedule, thus current timetable can serve only as approximate example (general pattern will stay the same, but exact train times will probably change a bit). For instance for the international connection Italy-Switzerland schedule is already known and you can even purchase your train tickets today, while for the Swiss domestic journeys it's not up yet.

Anyways direct train from Milan to Luzern departs in the afternoon, so it isn't an option for you then. Instead you have two more or less similar options in terms of money and travel time choices: board morning Milan-Basel train (can get off in Bern if you would like to spend some time in the Swiss capital or Olten in case you want to travel directly to Engelberg) or morning Milano-Zurich train (get off in Arth-Goldau). In both cases available discounted tickets (start from only 22 euro per passenger (standard full fare is >70 euro), must be bought in advance via Italian Railways website), while for the trip Bern/Olten-Engelberg or, alternatively, Arth-Goldau-Engelberg tickets should be bought via Swiss Railways website (in terms of money best option would be to wait until two weeks before the journey and get so called SuperSaver tickets

There are 8 of us ... 7 + 1 (4year old child)
Well, with such number of passengers you should be really quick in buying discounted tickets, since for the holidays time low-fare train tickets get sold out really soon (NB ticket purchase obviously is reasonable only if you are totally sure about the date and train choice, since discounted tickets are non-refundable & non-exchangeable)

Basically for now we advise you to check out Italian Railways website, see yourself those discounted 22 euro tickets (should look like this), then for the informational sake you can also visit Swiss Railways website and check current timetable for Bern/Olten or Arth-Goldau-Engelberg trains (number of train connection should stay the same in late December). In case you still will have any questions - we are here to help. If no questions and you are totally ok with the discounted tickets Italy-Switzerland tariff rules - buy those and you can wait until early December for purchase of tickets for the short Swiss leg
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Natheart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:18:57 pm »

OK ! so i guess i will buy treitalia ticket from Milan to ZuerichHB ..but i stop at Arth Goldau? right ... that i will buy now... but for
Arth Goldau-Engelberg i will buy later... 14 days before travel? currently i see they are departing every hour from arth goldau. So i will check again in later dates.

Where do you think i can find the list of stops from Milan to ZurichHB?

Natheart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »

its free travel for 4 year olds right? so i dun need to purchase any tickets.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:38 pm »

so i guess i will buy treitalia ticket from Milan to ZuerichHB ..but i stop at Arth Goldau? right ... that i will buy now...
Yep, somehow TrenItalia website doesn't have Arth-Goldau station in the list, but since the promo fare is the same (22 euro) it totally ok to purchase ticket till Zurich, but get off in Arth-Goldau (train definitely stops there, so no worries)

...but for Arth Goldau-Engelberg i will buy later... 14 days before travel?
Exactly, no point to buy now, since for way in advance dates it shows full fare tickets (kind of pricey), but 14 days in advance you'll have access to the discounted SuperSaver tickets (you can check this out yourself inputting some date 14 days from today)

currently i see they are departing every hour from arth goldau.
Arth-Goldau to Luzern train actually run 3 times per hour and SBB usually have one of the trains "connected" to the arrival of the long-distance international one (for instance now there is 5 min. between arrival of the morning train Milan-Zurich to Arth-Goldau and departure of Arth-Golday-Luzern one). Pretty much the same thing will be in the new timetable - Swiss Railways care that passengers have minimal train change time.

Where do you think i can find the list of stops from Milan to ZurichHB?
You want to know all the stops? Or just those for the EuroCity trains Italy-Switzerland? For instance morning train is here, other train you can as well find via SBB Online timetable (just click + sign on the right from the destinations and then train type, like "EC")

its free travel for 4 year olds right? so i dun need to purchase any tickets.
SBB website informs us that "Children under 6 years travel free of charge when accompanied by a person holding a valid ticket", in Italy for the domestic journeys children need to have child fare ticket from the age of 4, however with the international connections it's different - Italy to Switzerland age limit is 6, so you should be fine
Natheart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 05:41:57 pm »

Thank you for this very informative reply :) I'm just wondering should i be getting any eurail pass or any train pass if I'm doing travels milan to rome den rome back to milan .... and travel another day from milan to Zurich?
Maxy

View Profile Ukrainian railway riders club
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:11:31 am »

so i guess i will buy treitalia ticket from Milan to ZuerichHB ..but i stop at Arth Goldau? right ... that i will buy now...
Yep, somehow TrenItalia website doesn't have Arth-Goldau station in the list, but since the promo fare is the same (22 euro) it totally ok to purchase ticket till Zurich, but get off in Arth-Goldau (train definitely stops there, so no worries)
Just for your information (not important for this case, where usage of Zuerich is OK, because SMART fare is the same 22 EUR so possibility to choose Arth-Goldau is not important, but may be it will be useful to whoever in some other case, where it's more imporatnt) - it's possible to make trenitalia website to accept Arth-Goldau as start or destination point. Yes, auto-complete on main page really don't propose it to choose when you starting to type this location name. But in case if you just type in Arth-Goldau - and press CERCA button - it still works, and you'll see result of seach from/to this station.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »

I'm just wondering should i be getting any eurail pass or any train pass if I'm doing travels milan to rome den rome back to milan .... and travel another day from milan to Zurich?
No, especially if you have more or less fixed date and time of the day, what will allow you in advance ticket purchase.
In Italy there are plenty of various options to travel cheaply using trains, for instance with TrenItalia you can actually travel from Milan to Rome for as cheap as 9 euro (or 29 euro with daytime high-speed trains) + besides TrenItalia in Italy you have a chance to use private rail company (Italo), which also offers discounted tickets with in advance purchase. There is no such short term rail pass which will give you better fare then these discounted tickets, but even if there were in Italy besides actual rail pass for all the long-distance trains pass holders have to get seat reservation, which also costs money. So we advise you just to visit again TrenItalia website and Italo website, input Milan-Rome and Roma-Milan for the dates you want and see yourself how cheap you can travel 
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »

Just for your information (not important for this case, where usage of Zuerich is OK, because SMART fare is the same 22 EUR so possibility to choose Arth-Goldau is not important, but may be it will be useful to whoever in some other case, where it's more imporatnt) - it's possible to make trenitalia website to accept Arth-Goldau as start or destination point. Yes, auto-complete on main page really don't propose it to choose when you starting to type this location name. But in case if you just type in Arth-Goldau - and press CERCA button - it still works, and you'll see result of seach from/to this station.
Yep, you are right, Arth-Goldau is in the system, so apparently it's autocomplete to blame. Although if to get into this issue deeper, it's turns out to be a bit funny - on the Advance Search page autocomplete does find Arth-Goldau, even in two different versions
kimmysawi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 10:35:19 am »

I'm just wondering should i be getting any eurail pass or any train pass if I'm doing travels milan to rome den rome back to milan .... and travel another day from milan to Zurich?
No, especially if you have more or less fixed date and time of the day, what will allow you in advance ticket purchase.
In Italy there are plenty of various options to travel cheaply using trains, for instance with TrenItalia you can actually travel from Milan to Rome for as cheap as 9 euro (or 29 euro with daytime high-speed trains) + besides TrenItalia in Italy you have a chance to use private rail company (Italo), which also offers discounted tickets with in advance purchase. There is no such short term rail pass which will give you better fare then these discounted tickets, visit phenq review herebut even if there were in Italy besides actual rail pass for all the long-distance trains pass holders have to get seat reservation, which also costs money. So we advise you just to visit again TrenItalia website and Italo website, input Milan-Rome and Roma-Milan for the dates you want and see yourself how cheap you can travel

Al of these can change without making any prior notice
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines