Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:04:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Croatia to Albania
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Croatia to Albania  (Read 10966 times)
warlord

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:53:50 pm »

I was looking at flights and my previous trip looks like it'll be a lot cheaper flying into Dubrovnik and leaving from Tirana.

I know you have helped me with the transportation between Dubrovnik and Kotor.  I am now curious how travel is between Montenegro and Albania?

Is there fairly easy transportation options from Bar to any interesting cities between there and Tirana?  And then to Tirana as my final destination?

Or even skipping Bar and going from Kotor to a beach place like Shëngjin or something similar?

I'll have 2 weeks so just trying to fill up my trip with a mix of beach (?), mountains (Kotor), city (Dubrovnik, Tirana) and just was curious how transportation is on the Albanian side.

Thanks

tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:52:05 pm »

Is there fairly easy transportation options from Bar to any interesting cities between there and Tirana?  And then to Tirana as my final destination?
Bar probably not, at least I don't know any regular bus connection from there to Albania, but it is fairly easy to reach Albania from Ulcinj. Buses depart few times per day, this seems to be the most official website for Ulcinj bus station

Or even skipping Bar and going from Kotor to a beach place like Shëngjin or something similar?
Never been to Shëngjin, but from my personal experience Bar isn't very interesting place to visit (obviously unless you want to take a look at final destination of Belgrade-Bar railway line or see leftovers of Jugoslavian naval fleet). While Ulcinj on the other hand happened to be a good place to stay for a day or two, at least couple years ago it was way less touristy and visibly cheaper

...and just was curious how transportation is on the Albanian side.
Using rail transport in Albania is more rail fans thing, while locals mainly rely on frequent (mini)bus (furgons) connections, which are also really cheap for any westerner. In Albania it won't be a big problem to travel around using these bus/furgons
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:39:34 pm »

Yes I did look at Ulcinj did look pretty interesting and figure it would be a lot nicer and more interesting geographically than Bar was anyways.  So one of the best flight prices seems to be flying into Dubrovnik.

So most likely I'd do Dubrovnik (arrive and leave next morning) -> (Mostar 2 nights) -> Dubrovnik (3 nights) -> Kotor (2 nights) -> Ulcinj (2 nights) -> Tirana (3 nights)

So with that I assume most these would have to be done by bus rather than train for time?

Dubrovnik -> Mostar  using (http://www.buscroatia.com/dubrovnik-mostar/)
Mostar -> Dubrovnik using (http://www.buscroatia.com/dubrovnik-mostar/)?  Or is there another option?

Dubrovnik -> Kotor using ?  Buscroatia again?

Kotor -> Ulcinj using ?  (would I have to take a bus to Podgorica and then another bus to Ulcinj?

Ulcinj -> Tirana using (http://www.busstation-ulcinj-montenegro.com/index.php/departure-timetable-bus-lines-in-ulcinj-central-coach-station.html)

So trying to find the fastest way between these locations above.

Thanks again for the help...
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:38:40 pm »

So with that I assume most these would have to be done by bus rather than train for time?
Yep, in most cases either rail connection is not possible at all (no rail line), or it is quite inconvenient.

Dubrovnik -> Mostar  using (http://www.buscroatia.com/dubrovnik-mostar/)
Mostar -> Dubrovnik using (http://www.buscroatia.com/dubrovnik-mostar/)?  Or is there another option?
Well, this byscroatia seems to be just website which has some schedules and redirects to reseller, it's not an actual bus company. So probably it doesn't worth it feed ticket resellers. At the bus station you would be able to get your tickets cheaper + it will be totally legit and "recognizable". In case you want to see websites of the actual bus companies that run the connection, then you should look at Croatian Eurolines, Globtour, Centrotrans, etc.

Dubrovnik -> Kotor using ?  Buscroatia again?
Same story as above. Imho, it just makes sense to check with Dubrovnik bus station schedule (here) and leave ticket purchase to the time you will be in Dubrovnik. In this part of the world almost nobody buys tickets in advance (in many cases ticket sale in advance is not even available), so no worries about sold out connections

Kotor -> Ulcinj using ?  (would I have to take a bus to Podgorica and then another bus to Ulcinj?
No, absolutely no need to go up to the mountains (obviously unless you want to travel old scenic Kotor-Njegusi-Cetinje road). You can stay by seaside and travel along the cost either by direct bus from Kotor to Ulcinj, or with change in Bar (buses from Kotor to Bar and from Bar to Ulcinj are more frequent, so you'll have more options)

Ulcinj -> Tirana using (http://www.busstation-ulcinj-montenegro.com/index.php/departure-timetable-bus-lines-in-ulcinj-central-coach-station.html)
Again, it's not really a bus company, but just Ulcinj bus station schedule.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:10 pm »

Great.  Thanks for clarifying the buscroatia website that I had found.  I will just look at the actual companies sites to get an idea of what they offer and times (and travel times as well).

I always get tickets the day of or sometimes the evening before I travel.  Think the only time I booked in advance was Luxexpress once and that was it.

Good to know about the Kotor route then.  No need to go through Podgorica then if they have direct buses between Kotor and Ulcinj (if I can avoid stopping in Bar that is).

Thanks again and hopefully the flight prices are good when I book in Feb, but these past two inquiries at least lets me know what I can expect for travel options...
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 02:24:08 pm »

I will just look at the actual companies sites to get an idea of what they offer and times (and travel times as well).
As a rule, resellers (or just other non actual bus companies websites) can show the schedule fairly accurately, so for the informational purposes such websites can be used, but in order to get 100% true info it's always better to address website of the company that runs the bus.
Think the only time I booked in advance was Luxexpress onceand that was it.
Well, it all depends on the region. In some regions of Europe it is very easy to buy tickets online via bus company website + companies offer a number of promo discounts for passengers buying their tickets in advance. In other regions bus companies isn't that advance, thus they hardly offer online ticket sale or any discounts for buying your ticket earlier.

Thanks again and hopefully the flight prices are good when I book in Feb
No problem, always glad to help. If prices for the flights won't be that good, we can always find a way to reorganize your itinerary and have different destination as starting point or finish ;)
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 04:02:09 pm »

Great thanks again.  And will be usually booking in early Feb (as I always get the best prices).  Though may have to do some changing though and always good to get an idea of connections before hand in some of these places which you always give great advice and have helped me on my travels for years...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines