Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:31:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  All other train travel questions  |  Need trip Advice from: Budapest-Thessaloniki-Athens-Istanbul
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need trip Advice from: Budapest-Thessaloniki-Athens-Istanbul  (Read 8267 times)
helen

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:29:34 am »

Hello,

I need some advice for my trip from Budapest-Thessaloniki-Athens-Istanbul.

1. How long is the train ride from Budapest to Thessaloniki? And will there be any border along the way that needs special visa to enter? Is there an express train?

2. Is it better to take a bus or train from Thessaloniki to Athens and how much does it costs?

3. What is the best way to enter Istanbul and less hassle?  Do I need a visa (I have US passport) and how much does it costs?

4. I am also thinking of maybe taking a train from Budapest to Istanbul if that is possible? Is this a good idea? Then work my way back from Istanbul-Athens-Thessaloniki, then return to Budapest.

Thank you in advance :)

Helen
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:50:15 pm »

1. How long is the train ride from Budapest to Thessaloniki? And will there be any border along the way that needs special visa to enter? Is there an express train?
There are two good options to travel from Budapest to Thessaloniki - departing either late evening or afternoon. Both options require one change in Belgrade and take 22:30-23 hours in total
You will cross three borders Hungary-Serbia; Serbia-FYR Macedonia and Macedonia-Greece. US passport holders doesn't need visas for Serbia or Macedonia (stays up to 90 days)
2. Is it better to take a bus or train from Thessaloniki to Athens and how much does it costs?
Train ride is really picturesque, so we recommend train. Regular fare is less than 20 euro, but you might need to pay supplement or bed reservation if you choose to travel overnight or by InterCity train.
3. What is the best way to enter Istanbul and less hassle?  Do I need a visa (I have US passport) and how much does it costs?
Probably to take overnight train from Thessaloniki. Quote from Ministry of Foreign affairs of Turkey: "United States of America: Ordinary and official passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. They can obtain three month-multiple entry visas at the Turkish border gates." (http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa). Cost of the visa is 20 $ or 15 Euro
4. I am also thinking of maybe taking a train from Budapest to Istanbul if that is possible? Is this a good idea?
No, as of now, direct carriages to Istanbul run only from Buchurest, Belgrade and Sofia
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines