Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Ukraine - domestic ticket with international reservation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ukraine - domestic ticket with international reservation?  (Read 11018 times)
pv

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2015, 01:19:41 pm »

Hello,

I have a sleeper reservation from Lviv to Cierna nad Tisou into that direct sleeper coach Kiyv-Bratislava and I am wondering if I can buy the international ticket only for Chop-Cierna nad Tisou (2 Eur) section and a domestic Ukrainian ticket for the domestic part Lviv-Chop (approx. 100 UAH), or I need to have the international ticket for the whole journey - this is for 12 Eur, so I was thinking I could save something.

As I was searching through the Ukrainian Railways website, it seem I can buy only tickets with reservation to the Lviv-Chop train and I am not sure if this will be valid in combination with the sleeper reservation. Thanks for advice.

Kind regards,
Petr
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »

As far as we know, in Ukraine with international seat/bed reservation you simply can't get domestic ticket, it needs to be also international. If you want to save on leg from Lviv to the Chop, then easiest way to do so would be just go with standard UZ domestic ticket+reservation (which is printed on one ticket sheet) Lviv-Chop for the train №99 (Kyiv-Bratislava carriage goes with it). It will cost you 120-130 UAH depending on the day of departure. In case you want to get a bit more sleep and don't wonder around Chop station for 2+ hours, you can always travel pendulum style - meaning purchase ticket till Uzghorod, it will allow you to sleep through Chop and get off an hour later, while from Uzghorod you can back to Chop with local train/bus exactly on time for Chop-Cierna train.
As I was searching through the Ukrainian Railways website, it seem I can buy only tickets with reservation to the Lviv-Chop train and I am not sure if this will be valid in combination with the sleeper reservation.
All the Ukrainian domestic tickets for long-distance train (either sold at ticket counter or via booking.uz.gov.ua) are all with bed reservation, carriage attendant of the Kyiv-Bratislava carriage won't allow you to board his wagon if you give him the ticket for some other wagon in train №99

I can buy the international ticket only for Chop-Cierna nad Tisou (2 Eur)
There is a minor ticket price disparity here, so buying Chop-Cierna ticket in Chop cost a bit more than Cierna-Chop in Cierna. It happens due to different price for Slovak leg & UZ commission
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
pv

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 08:01:52 pm »

Thanks a lot for, it is a helpful info.  :)
Maxy

View Profile Ukrainian railway riders club
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:00:48 pm »

As far as we know, in Ukraine with international seat/bed reservation you simply can't get domestic ticket, it needs to be also international.
In general it became wrong statement.

Such approach really was in the past, but during last years in Ukraine it's allowed to combine domestic ticket with internatinal reservation for travelling domestic leg using international ticket. Travel in domestic train combining with international reservation for domestic leg and domestic ticket is allowed as well.

But seat reservation and ticket are still "mutual serfs of each other" or in other words "non-separable". For example you cannot buy reservation unless you produce original ticket to cashier and cashier will write on ticket and put stamp that reservation to section from A to B sold (so you cannot use same ticket for fishing few reservations coming to different cashiers with same ticket for example), also reservation will contain note that is should  be used with ticket number (ticket number). The same story with international reservation for domestic train - they will not sell you it it unless you produce international reservation and only after this they issue the ticket.

I have a sleeper reservation from Lviv to Cierna nad Tisou into that direct sleeper coach Kiyv-Bratislava and I am wondering if I can buy the international ticket only for Chop-Cierna nad Tisou (2 Eur) section and a domestic Ukrainian ticket for the domestic part Lviv-Chop (approx. 100 UAH), or I need to have the international ticket for the whole journey - this is for 12 Eur, so I was thinking I could save something.
No.

It's not allowed to combine domestic ticket with international reservation which is issued for international leg.

And I agree with tabo, depite domestic ticket (which you can buy online) contans both ticket and reservation, but ticket from it is not combinable with international reservation issued for international leg.

If you really on tight budget and seriously need spend less money for this travel - you should better refund your reservation Lviv - Bratislava back if it's possible, and travel using domestic ticket to Chop and travel in seating cars from Chop to Kosice and Bratislava. Sleeping car Kyiv - Bratislava between Chop and Bratislava travel with trains which contains seating cars, so it's possible to cross border here without purchasing international sleeping bed reservation. Also in this case it's worth to think about re-planning your travel using RegioJet train between Kosice and Bratislava if 9 EUR ticket is available on your date.

Or if you prefer having possibility not to exit from train in 6 in the morning in Chop but continue laying (not sure about sleeping, re-gauging workers and custom/border officers anyway will wake you up) - you must cover leg from Lviv to 1st Ukrainian station by international ticket.

The idea of "pendulum" to Uzhhorod proposed by tabo also will work (and probably you have less chances to be waken in Chop in domestic car Kyiv - Uzhhorod than in internatonal car Kyiv - Bratislava) but only the only your preference is not no be waken (but not come to Bratislava faster).
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:52:26 am »

during last years in Ukraine it's allowed to combine domestic ticket with internatinal reservation for travelling domestic leg using international ticket. Travel in domestic train combining with international reservation for domestic leg and domestic ticket is allowed as well.
Good to know, thanks. But how easy in practice is to actually purchase such "unusual" combinations?

If you really on tight budget and seriously need spend less money for this travel - you should better refund your reservation Lviv - Bratislava back if it's possible, and travel using domestic ticket to Chop and travel in seating cars from Chop to Kosice and Bratislava. Sleeping car Kyiv - Bratislava between Chop and Bratislava travel with trains which contains seating cars, so it's possible to cross border here without purchasing international sleeping bed reservation. Also in this case it's worth to think about re-planning your travel using RegioJet train between Kosice and Bratislava if 9 EUR ticket is available on your date.
Judging by pv's ip Bratislava might not be the direction of further travels. Nevertheless just in case it indeed makes sense to remind about RegioJet and LeoExpress
and probably you have less chances to be waken in Chop in domestic car Kyiv - Uzhhorod than in internatonal car Kyiv - Bratislava)
The only disadvantage of using Kyiv-Uzhgorod carriages is that there is a good chance to end up in very old one. Carriages belonging to Uzghorod division are known for being one of the worst on UZ. With Kyiv-Bratislava it's not the case, here all of them are renovated (probably it's the same ones which used to run in Kyiv-Berlin train)
but only the only your preference is not no be waken (but not come to Bratislava faster).
Perhaps it makes sense to mention that by "faster" you mean getting off in Uzghorod and taking a bus to Slovakia, right?
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Maxy

View Profile Ukrainian railway riders club
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:19 pm »

during last years in Ukraine it's allowed to combine domestic ticket with internatinal reservation for travelling domestic leg using international ticket. Travel in domestic train combining with international reservation for domestic leg and domestic ticket is allowed as well.
Good to know, thanks. But how easy in practice is to actually purchase such "unusual" combinations?
No issue, just come to ticket counter and buy, cashier will not try to sell you international resevation for domestic leg if you go by domestic train (waggon).
and probably you have less chances to be waken in Chop in domestic car Kyiv - Uzhhorod than in internatonal car Kyiv - Bratislava)
The only disadvantage of using Kyiv-Uzhgorod carriages is that there is a good chance to end up in very old one.
The quarter of all waggons which belonged to Uzhhorod depot were withdrawn from service in 2011-2012, so all worst waggons, which formerly could make bad impression if you are unlucky to meet them in train 99/100 and 13/14 Kyiv - Uzhhorod are gone.
Now due to decrease number of waggons in Uzhhorod - train 13/14 consist of their waggons only once per 2 days, on other days this train consists of waggons from Kyiv-Pas depot.

With Kyiv-Bratislava it's not the case, here all of them are renovated (probably it's the same ones which used to run in Kyiv-Berlin train)
Yes, it's former "Kashtan" waggons. But they are not so perfect. Kupe in 13 in days when 13 is operated by Kyiv-Pass depot waggons are obviously better
but only the only your preference is not no be waken (but not come to Bratislava faster).
Perhaps it makes sense to mention that by "faster" you mean getting off in Uzghorod and taking a bus to Slovakia, right?
no.
I meant going via Zahony - Budapest - Szob, in this case you reach Bratislava at 16:07 instead of 18:05.
In case if Bratislava is not final destination, but you continue to wherever (probably Wien, right) - going via Budapest saves even more time if you arrive to Chop by train 99 (arrival to Wien in 15:45 via Budapest and in 19:45 via Bratislava).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines