Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:08:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Thessaloniki - Belgrade - Budapest - Murska Sobota
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thessaloniki - Belgrade - Budapest - Murska Sobota  (Read 31779 times)
MaVou

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:01:07 pm »

Hi, before I write I did a small research, but I can tell  I got a bit confused.. ???

So, me and 3friends(under 30years old) want to travell from Greece to Slovenia by train through Thessaloniki to Belgrade(3/11) then Budapest(4/11) and then Murska Sobota(Slovenia)(6/11). But I m confused because i read that we cant pre-book so how can we get any discount as said to this sait?
Can you please help, how to book tickets for this itinenary and save some money?
Thank you for your time
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:28:17 pm »

... but I can tell  I got a bit confused.. ???
It's OK, we are here to help  ;)

So, me and 3friends(under 30years old) want to travell from Greece to Slovenia by train through Thessaloniki to Belgrade(3/11) then Budapest(4/11) and then Murska Sobota(Slovenia)(6/11). But I m confused because i read that we cant pre-book so how can we get any discount as said to this sait?
Well, the only journey that you can actually book in advance in this case is Budapest-Slovenia, while with Thessaloniki-Belgrade or Belgrade-Budapest Greek and Serbian railways simply doesn't offer a chance to do so. But in essence it's not that big of a problem, because with Thessaloniki to Belgrade it's just one ticket price (33,8 euro for one-way ticket) no matter when you buy it, while for Belgrade to Budapest it's a special offer (15 euro one-way) with unlimited number of tickets sold. Thus it means that in advance purchase in both case aren't necessary and won't save you any money

Can you please help, how to book tickets for this itinenary and save some money?
As was mentioned above, the only ticket you can purchase right now (and save money) is from Budapest onwards. You can do it with a help of Hungarian Railways (MAV) website (step-by-step guide on how to use MAV website - http://europetrainsguide.com/Advice/How-to-Buy-Train-Tickets/Hungary-MAV.html ). The only minor nuance with such purchase is that MAV sells discounted 19 euro tickets only to Ljubljana, so in your case you should buy 19 euro ticket Budapest-Ljubljana, while get off in Murska Sobota few hours earlier
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
MaVou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:57:50 pm »

thank you so much for your help   :D
MaVou

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:56:02 am »

My friend one last question,
 what about Balkan FlexiPass and CityStar? Are residents of Greece eligible to use them?
Once again thank you for your time :)
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:46:02 pm »

what about Balkan FlexiPass and CityStar? Are residents of Greece eligible to use them?
Well, you didn't specify whether you need to make a return trip (and if yes, how soon) or not. In case you need to travel only one-way, then hardly Balkan Flexi Pass or CityStar OSE-MAV (Greece-Hungary) makes sense, since the cheapest youth (<26 years old) 5 day Balkan pass costs 53 euro and it will get you only as far as Serbia-Hungary border after Subotica (while Thessalonki-Belgrade + Belgrade-Budapest tickets will cost you 48,8 euro in total). CityStar used to cost 150 euro per person (or 375 per 4 passengers), but it's a bit outdated price, probably these days it's slightly more expensive. A different story is in case you do need to travel back, then Balkan Pass/CityStar might be handy. So please let me know whether you plan to travel back, and if so, then how soon after the trip there and using which route (perhaps you would like to travel back via Croatia?)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
MaVou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 09:45:22 pm »

ok, we wil travel back from the same route at 16/11. So all this, will take place in less than a month.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 12:54:08 am »

Then let's count:

Balkan Flexi Pass (5 days): 53 euro (youth) or 88 euro (adults, thus >26). It will cover your legs Thessaloniki (or other destination in Greece) to Serbia/Hungary border (Subotica) on the way there & back. For the part Subotica-Budapest-Subotica ticket will cost you 17,4 euro per person. And finally for leg Budapest-Slovenia-Budapest either go with two separate one-way discounted tickets (19 euro each) or don't bother with in advance purchase of discounted tickets and use "ordinary" 49 euro return "Ljubljana Spezial". In total "Balkan Pass" option adds up to 108,4 euro (or 143,4 with adult pass) minimum for the entire trip Greece-Hungary-Slovenia-Hungary-Greece

CityStar OSE-MAV: here the best part is that you can purchase it not only till Budapest, but all the way to HU/SLO border (meaning for route Thess.-Belgrade-Budapest-Hodos (gr) & back). However the total price for such citystar for 4 passengers these days would be more than 400 euro + another five or so euro for the part from the border to Murska Sobota

Finally "point-to-point" tickets option: 54,1 euro (Thess.-Belgrade-Thess.) + 26 euro (Belgrade-Budapest-Belgrade) + 38 (19+19) or 49 euro (Ljubljana Spezial return), thus making it in total 118,1 (129,1) euro

Resume: you might come by OSE ticket counter and ask about precise fare for 4 passenger OSE-MAV citystar, but otherwise it looks like youth Balkan Flexi Pass option beats the rest, but in case you >26, then "point-to-point" tickets
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 02:10:38 pm »

Just one correction to the above calculations: 49 euro return "Ljubljana Spezial" for leg from Budapest to Murska Sobota & back apparently doesn't make sense, since standard return ticket Budapest-Mur.Sobota-Budapest bought in Hungary (or Slovenia) will be cheaper. Sorry for this error, somehow thought that Murska Sobota is a bit farther from the border, thus standard return ticket will be more expensive than  "Ljubljana Spezial"
MaVou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 04:13:39 pm »

You are the best  ;) thank you so-so much  :)
Username:

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »

CityStar OSE-MAV: here the best part is that you can purchase it not only till Budapest, but all the way to HU/SLO border (meaning for route Thess.-Belgrade-Budapest-Hodos (gr) & back). However the total price for such citystar for 4 passengers these days would be more than 400 euro + another five or so euro for the part from the border to Murska Sobota
Does anyone how much the OSE Sell there City Star?

I have to give an warning to everyone who will Travel in Greece!

1) The OSE can strike for no reasons. Holiday? Strike. Bad Weather? Strike.
2) If you want travel from A to B there are quite only IC Trains. The Problem is the require an VERY HIGHT RESERVATION FEE (where you cant find online)!!!

May Personal opinion is Buy your Train Ticket online on the OSE Website. What realy work is the Automatic Refund when the Train do no operate.
So how you can see when a Train is operate or no? If you see 24h before departure any Train online the might Strike again.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 10:43:08 pm »

Does anyone how much the OSE Sell there City Star?
OSE doesn't publish those fares, but as a rough estimate it should be about 160-170 euro (if you want the exact fare, then perhaps better to email OSE). Also might be possible to go with BDZ-MAV CityStars (available either via Serbia or Romania), those are a bit cheaper
Username:

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 11:04:57 pm »

then perhaps better to email OSE
the dont replay any email....
Maybe I will make with my Girlfriend a Journey to Athen by Train.
City Star is an good way to save money for everyone who travel not alone.
Buy Single Ticket in the Country are very stressfull and Risky.

When you or someone selse want take the Sofia Metro with Luggage an additional Ticket is required.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 11:34:17 am »

the dont replay any email....
Perhaps you can try calling then? If it's within EU, then it shouldn't be super expensive
Username:

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 02:57:12 pm »

Perhaps you can try calling then?
haha good Joke. I tried to talk to some staff in English in Athen and Thessaloniki.
JesperP

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:16 am »

Serbian Railways writes about the route "Thessaloniki  - Beograd (Belgrade):
No trains for this relation!

Serbian Railways: http://www.srbvoz.rs/eng/timetable.html
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines