Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:51:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Booking Budapest to Prague Overnight Train for arrival at 6:30 am
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Booking Budapest to Prague Overnight Train for arrival at 6:30 am  (Read 29502 times)
Connie

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:36:32 am »

HI
I want to travel from Budapest to Prague in mid February on the overnight sleeper. I have read the detailed instructions for booking but could not find any information on the Hungarian Railways site for the sleeper that arrives in Prague at 6:30 am (476 Metropol /878) instead of 4 am (476 Metropol). I also looked on the Czech Railways website, searching Budapest to Prague and did find both options there. But I can' t book a Budapest to Prague one way ticket on the Czech site.

Does anyone know if is is possible to book the 476 Metropol /878 that arrives at 6:30 am on http://www.mavcsoport.hu/en ?

Or, do you just buy the ticket for the 476 Metropol and make sure you get on the right section of the train that will be delayed to arrive later?

If I can't book it in advance, if I buy the ticket 2 days before I want to use it, will I have to pay full price?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Maxy

View Profile Ukrainian railway riders club
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:21:21 am »

There is the answer few message below
http://europetrainsguide.com/forum/index.php/topic,797.0.html
Nothing changes since those times
So - MAV website is unable sell ticket to overnight train to group of cars Budapest - Praha (arriving at 6:30) due to technical glitch. You can avoid this glitch by buying no next station after Praha (for example Decin or Usti) but in this case - you get ticket to group of cars Budapest - Berlin, which are passing Praha too early (near 4 am).
if I buy the ticket 2 days before I want to use it, will I have to pay full price?
probably yes. Number of seats at cheaper price is very limited, they are very quickly sold-out. The chance of being non sold-out in 2 days before advance is very small
cora

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:08 pm »

I am in the same situation, trying to book mid february night train the 2 bed compartment. Any idea how hard it will be to find a good fare 5 days before? than you

if I buy the ticket 2 days before I want to use it, will I have to pay full price?
probably yes. Number of seats at cheaper price is very limited, they are very quickly sold-out. The chance of being non sold-out in 2 days before advance is very small
[/quote]
Connie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:40:40 pm »

There is the answer few message below
http://europetrainsguide.com/forum/index.php/topic,797.0.html
Nothing changes since those times
So - MAV website is unable sell ticket to overnight train to group of cars Budapest - Praha (arriving at 6:30) due to technical glitch. You can avoid this glitch by buying no next station after Praha (for example Decin or Usti) but in this case - you get ticket to group of cars Budapest - Berlin, which are passing Praha too early (near 4 am).

Thanks for you for your advice.  I appreciate your helpfulness in answering my questions. I found thiswebsite is a great resource, especially since I am not experienced with train travel.  Thanks again!
bluesprits

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 04:22:21 am »

I am in the same situation, we have 3 traveling together. I am trying to book night train from Budapest to Prague. i have read this post and other posts. you suggested to book to next station pass Prague to overcome the issue with the website. since it arrive Prague too early 4am, can I go to the next station, then ride back? do I need to buy additional ticket to ride back? I still would have to wake up ~4am, right? If I missed the stop, what would happen?
is there train arrive Prague in the morning past 6am?

also, I don't understand name of different train station, BUDAPEST*-  vs. Budapest Keleti.  if I buy BUDAPEST*- can I board train on any train station?  Budapest Keleti- means I can only board train on Keleti station?  how do i find out the nearest train station to the hotel I stay?

Please also share you perspective about 1st, and 2nd class seat, sleeper, own compartment, Couchette etc, I guess own compartment would be more quite, but most expensive. without own compartment, we would have to share with others. I don't mind, but just worried about if it's too much noise.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:22:59 pm by tUt » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:21:35 pm »

i have read this post and other posts. you suggested to book to next station pass Prague to overcome the issue with the website
In case you ok overpaying for your ticket (=buying everything via MAV ticket counter at full fare price when you already in Hungary), then you can purchase it for the carriages with decent arrival time to Prague (6:43am)

since it arrive Prague too early 4am, can I go to the next station, then ride back?
Sure, you can even travel all the way to German Dresden if you want, but the last Czech station will be Decin (arr. 5:58am). Journey back (i.e. Decin-Praha) takes between 1:30 & 2 hours depending on train. Btw, you can stop for a bit in Northern Czech Republic, e.g. train passes quite picturesque Elbe river valley.
do I need to buy additional ticket to ride back?
Yes, you would still need a ticket back (e.g Decin-Prague or Usti nad Labem-Prague), but those aren't very expensive - with in advance purchase you can buy it for as low as 129/109 CZK
I still would have to wake up ~4am, right?
If you would have the ticket till one of the next stations (e.g. already mentioned Decin or one before it - Usti nad Labem), then no, you can sleep till 5:30-5:45am
If I missed the stop, what would happen?
Well, if you will have ticket till Usti nad Labem/Decin and miss stop in Prague, then nothing will happen, since you have the valid travel documents. But in case you purchase ticket till Prague and don't get off the train there, then you will be the passenger without valid travel document (=penalty). However I doubt that you can really miss the stop, since in couchette/sleeper carriages there is a conductor who knows where passengers get off and can easily wake you up.

is there train arrive Prague in the morning past 6am?
Yes, there is a group of carriages which leaves Budapest with EN 476 "Metropol" train, but then in the middle of the night get "unhooked" and spend couple hours just standing at Pardubice station, while around 5:30am it gets reattached to one of the Czech domestic train and thus arrive to Prague main station at 6:43am (not 4am as rest of the "Metropol" train). Also there is an early morning EuroCity train dep. Budapest 5:25am and arr. to Prague at noon

also, I don't understand name of different train station, BUDAPEST*-  vs. Budapest Keleti.  if I buy BUDAPEST*- can I board train on any train station?  Budapest Keleti- means I can only board train on Keleti station?
BUDAPEST* is just a generic term, which basically means all the Budapest stations (it is there for those who don't know from which station train departs, so by inserting BUDAPEST* system will search from all the station in the city. Trains to Prague have only one stop in Budapest and it's Budapest-Keleti station, you can't board it on any other station. So it doesn't really matter whether you insert BUDAPEST* or Budapest-Keleti.

how do i find out the nearest train station to the hotel I stay?
As was said earlier, trains to Prague depart only from Budapest-Keleti station (which is not very far from the city center and has good transport connection to almost any part of the city)

Please also share you perspective about 1st, and 2nd class seat, sleeper, own compartment, Couchette etc,
Hmm... a bit difficult to do so without knowledge of your preference, but 2nd class seat compartment on the overnight train would look more or less like this, couchette like this, sleeper like this and there is no 1st class carriages in "Metropol" train between Budapest and Prague

I guess own compartment would be more quite, but most expensive. without own compartment, we would have to share with others. I don't mind, but just worried about if it's too much noise.
Cheapest discounted sleeper would cost you 49 euro per person, thus 147euro for 3 passengers (=entire compartment), while in 2nd class seating carriage you can travel for as low as 19 euro
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines