Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  need help with train tickets from Vienna to Budapest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need help with train tickets from Vienna to Budapest  (Read 8428 times)
bluesprits

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2016, 10:40:30 pm »

Hi, I try to book train tickets from Vienna to Budapest on evening of May 4 2016.  we have family of 3.  we will stay in imperial riding school area, Ungargase, I googled, the nearest train station is called Rennweg. however, when I go to https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/en/ticket to buy tickets, I couldn't find Vienna Rennweg, I don't know if the train station should be Vienna, or Vienna city, or Vienne, some have little yellow green H square box in front of the train station, other have little blue white box, I don't understand the difference.
also when I search, there is no train availble for evening or afternoon, how is that possible? please help!
Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:42:16 pm by bluesprits » Logged
bluesprits

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:36:18 am »

I was able to book the ticket from Vienna to Budapest at http://www.mavcsoport.hu/en website.  however, i still need to book ticket from Salzburg to Vienna, for that, MAV website doesn't work. so I went back to OBB website https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/en/ticket, again, no train is available, how could that be possible?
I still have trouble understand what train station to enter, when i enter Salzburg, there are many different ones to choose from, I want the one at city center, but I don't understand which one to choose. also for Vienna, we will stay at Imperial riding school Renaissance, I don't know which station to choose from.

About the ticket that bought this way, are they limited to board on specific train number/station? then how can I find the right train and station? can I find English speaking staff at train station?  I also bought train tickets at DB, everything is in German, I don't know if the ticket said that there is specific number of train/station that I suppose to board,  but I can't understand a thing, now I am really worried if I can get everything correct....but it's too late to buy eurorail pass , as I already bought almost everything. Please help!
Thank you so much for your help!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 10:03:01 am »

I googled, the nearest train station is called Rennweg. however, when I go to https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/en/ticket to buy tickets, I couldn't find Vienna Rennweg, I don't know if the train station should be Vienna, or Vienna city, or Vienne, some have little yellow green H square box in front of the train station, other have little blue white box, I don't understand the difference.
also when I search, there is no train availble for evening or afternoon, how is that possible? please help!
Trains to Budapest don't depart from minor stations in Vienna (there is more than a dozen of them), that is why trying to buy tickets from such minor stations causes issues. When you enter actual station from which trains to Budapest depart (e.g. Wien Hauptbahnhof or Wien Meidling), then you won't have any problems booking the tickets ;) 
Anyhow Ungargase/Rennweg is just a few  blocks away from Vienna Central train station (called Wien Hauptbahnhof or sometimes shortened to Wien Hbf.)

I was able to book the ticket from Vienna to Budapest at http://www.mavcsoport.hu/en website.
Did you read the note from Hungarian Railways website saying that:
Please note that home printing of international tickets is not possible. International tickets booked online must be collected at any of the Ticket Collection Points located at railway stations in Hungary before your journey. Passengers travelling without a collected ticket must purchase a new ticket on board and pay penalty. Will you be able to print your tickets in Hungary prior to boarding a train in Vienna?

i still need to book ticket from Salzburg to Vienna, for that, MAV website doesn't work. so I went back to OBB website https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/en/ticket, again, no train is available, how could that be possible? 
Have no idea how you searched it, but there are plenty of trains, both by Austrian Railways (OeBB) and private company WestBahn

I still have trouble understand what train station to enter, when i enter Salzburg, there are many different ones to choose from, I want the one at city center, but I don't understand which one to choose. also for Vienna
Just choose the main stations, that is Salzburg Hbf & Wien Hbf

About the ticket that bought this way, are they limited to board on specific train number/station? then how can I find the right train and station? can I find English speaking staff at train station?
Depends on the ticket type. If it's a discounted promo offer ticket, then it will be valid only for the specified day & train. If it's a standard full fare ticket, then it can be used on any train during the validity period. In regards to "right train station"... well you can look at the timetable and see from which station your train departs, in your case it will be mostly central/main stations. In Austria you will probably find someone who speaks English, in Hungary chances are somewhat lower

I also bought train tickets at DB, everything is in German, I don't know if the ticket said that there is specific number of train/station that I suppose to board,  but I can't understand a thing, now I am really worried if I can get everything correct
Exact departure station will be next to "Von", arrival next to "Nach". Conditions of your ticket will depend on the type: it can be "Normalpreis" (=standard full fare), "Sparpreis" (=discounted), Europa Spezial (=discounted international), etc. If it's for the fixed day & train, then it should be something like "Hinfahrt: your route & trains number"
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
bluesprits

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 02:38:43 pm »

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. I bought tickets at MAV website for ticket from Budapest to Prague, I guess I will be in Budapest, so I can print ticket. I also bought ticket at MAV for tickets from Vienna to Budapest, so I guess that will be problem. I thought I will be in Vienna train station to print the ticket to Budapest.....I guess I was wrong. Thank you for pointing out. those tickets are non-refundable, right? I won't be able to use them, right?
thank you so much!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »

I bought tickets at MAV website for ticket from Budapest to Prague, I guess I will be in Budapest, so I can print ticket. I also bought ticket at MAV for tickets from Vienna to Budapest, so I guess that will be problem. I thought I will be in Vienna train station to print the ticket to Budapest.....I guess I was wrong. Thank you for pointing out. those tickets are non-refundable, right? I won't be able to use them, right?
If you plan is to travel Vienna-Budapest-Prague, thus meaning you won't be able to visit Hungary before your trip from Vienna to Budapest, then you indeed in trouble. Because you can't print MAV tickets using Austrian ticket machines, only Hungarian ones. In regards to refundability... well, once again it depends what type of ticket you've purchased. Is it 13 euro ones? Then it's non-refundable, but perhaps you can ask somebody in Hungary (not necessarily Budapest) to print your tickets & mail it to you? or even your Vienna hotel? This would solve the problem and you will be able to use your MAV's Vienna-Budapest ticket (=you won't any money)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines