Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:02:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Poprad - Budapest, by train or by bus?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poprad - Budapest, by train or by bus?  (Read 57536 times)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 11:54:33 am »

when I type Kosice (for departure fr Poprad) at the website, there seems to be an error...so I choose Kosice predmestie...I dont know what it mean...just hope that I got the correct timetable.
"predmestie" means Kosice-suburb, thus not central station, but other minor station within boundaries of Kosice. Better to use http://www.zssk.sk/en (official website of Slovak railways), just type "Kosice" without any additional things.
can I leave my backpack at Kosice station? How much should I expect to pay...and is it counted by per hour?
Yes, there are luggage storage at Kosice train station working from 03.30am till 00.30am. Can't really find the exact fare, but it wouldn't be that high - around couple euro. And it is not done on hourly bases, usually it is 6, 12 or 24 hours.
And...at minimum, how long must I be at the train station before departure? Is it difficult to locate the correct platform and coucette?
Kosice train station isn't that big, so 10-15 minutes before train departure will do it.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 04:14:35 pm »

Sorry for the late reply. Hv been very bz with job. Thanks so much again for yr never ending advices. I am more confident now :)
andreeailie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 12:50:30 pm »

To Brasov, if you get it very easy, because it is an important hub for Romanian railway. Brasov are many trains per day, almost one every hour, and there are also frequent trains from other Romanian cities, and a daily connection to Budapest, Hungary (via Oradea) and a EuroNight (train night fast) connection to Budapest via Arad. Also, because of its accessibility and comfort, train is the best way to get to Brasov. Even though all Romanian trains are increasingly comfortable, try to take the InterCity (IC) trains. These are very modern and comfortable because they are an initiative of the state railways to reinvigorate the transport sector in Romania.
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:54 am »

OMG!!! I need urgent help here....
I checked all my routes again - the one by bus and by train, and was extremely shock to find out that the bus was less frequent on the day of my journey(supposed bcos it was winter time???) which left me only with train options. I have checked the time table and fares for the list below, but am hoping if someone can help me to get a cheaper rate.
6 Dec : I plan to take bus (Orangeways) fr Budapest to Targu Mures (depart 2300, arv 0940 on Dec 7, fare 5200HUF), and continue by minibus fr Targu Mures to Sighisoara (fare 12LEI). Unfortunately, the earliest minibus on Dec7 is at 1430, arv 1535. That is a long and wasted wait. Another alternative is to take the Orangeways bus fr Budapest till Cluj Napoca only (arv 0745 on Dec 7, fare 4900HUF), and continue by train, Cluj - Sighisoara, depart 0950, arv  1334, fare 39LEI (full fare ticket). Is there any way to make this ticket or this trip cheaper?

8 Dec : I'm supposed to board an early morning bus fr Sighisoara to Brasov...at least when I checked the timetable a couple of months back, there are frequent buses plying this route. However, when I checked yesterday, the earliest departure is at 1535, arv Brasov 1815 (fare 20LEI). I have to opt for train, which depart at 0653, arv Brasov 0848, fare 35.9LEI. Any trick to get a cheaper rate for this route?

11 Dec : Is there any very early morning long distance train plying the route from Sibiu to Pecs? Of course I nd to chg train several times, but I dont know how to check for the timetable & fare details. Plz help.
Thanks.
p/s: BTW, at earliest, how long do one need time to see Mostar? Is 4 hrs enough?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:23 am »

6 Dec : I plan to take bus (Orangeways) fr Budapest to Targu Mures (depart 2300, arv 0940 on Dec 7, fare 5200HUF), and continue by minibus fr Targu Mures to Sighisoara (fare 12LEI). Unfortunately, the earliest minibus on Dec7 is at 1430, arv 1535. That is a long and wasted wait.
The problem is that Targu-Mures and Sighisoara isn't connected by direct rail line (check - http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/map.php?file=maps/romania/romania.gif, Sighisoara is on the line between Medias and Vanatori if you look downwards from Targu), so in order to make the journey on train you would need to make a heck of a loop(=quite expensive).
But the thing with buses in Romania is that not always all of them are listed, so sites like www.autogari.ro sometimes not the most precise. In case with Targu and Sighisoara it seems quite weird - the number of buses between so closely located not that small towns. So you might want to contact Targu bus station directly - there are might be more buses actually.
Another alternative is to take the Orangeways bus fr Budapest till Cluj Napoca only (arv 0745 on Dec 7, fare 4900HUF), and continue by train, Cluj - Sighisoara, depart 0950, arv  1334, fare 39LEI (full fare ticket). Is there any way to make this ticket or this trip cheaper?
Unfortunately, but no cheaper way. Trains in Romania tend to be expansive, especially faster ones. On this connection those are majority.
8 Dec : I'm supposed to board an early morning bus fr Sighisoara to Brasov...at least when I checked the timetable a couple of months back, there are frequent buses plying this route. However, when I checked yesterday, the earliest departure is at 1535, arv Brasov 1815 (fare 20LEI). I have to opt for train, which depart at 0653, arv Brasov 0848, fare 35.9LEI. Any trick to get a cheaper rate for this route?
Yes, you need to use 'P' (regional) train instead of more expensive 'R' fast one. 'P' trains depart Sighisoara at 7:17am and 11:20am. Ride takes longer, but cost only 14.6 Lei.
11 Dec : Is there any very early morning long distance train plying the route from Sibiu to Pecs? Of course I nd to chg train several times, but I dont know how to check for the timetable & fare details. Plz help.
It is not that easy to travel between Sibiu and Pecs. Most will do it with one change in Budapest, but such journey will take almost the whole day + cost might be high, unless you purchase discounted ticket from Sibiu to Budapest. Other, more complicated, option is to go via Arad-Szeged (without loop north to Budapest), but there you will need a lot of changes and use of buses as well.
Best website to check European timetable - http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:&
p/s: BTW, at earliest, how long do one need time to see Mostar? Is 4 hrs enough?
If you would be fast enough, yes. The interesting part isn't that big.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:47 am »

Thanks so much tUt for yr explanations....
I think I am over worrying the situation. FYI, someone in tripadvisor told me that the frequency of Romanian buses havent change...but the website layout does...The other buses were actually hiidden, until I clicked a link (which was in Romanian...how am I supposed to know this), then only the list of other buses appeared. So, I will stick to my actual plan  taking the bus fr Targu Mures to Sighisoara - Brasov - Sibiu - Arad - Szeged - Pecs. However, its useful also to know about the train options...Who knows I might hv to take train in case bus stop operating due to heavy snow. Someone in thorntree gv me another idea about stooping at Oswiecim to visit Auschwitz. Yr earlier idea is for me to buy the online train ticket  using the https://www.cd.cz/eshop/international/search_int.aspx?tt=2, buy until Zilina, but stop at Cesky Tesin, then walked to Cieszyn and board another train to Krakow via Oswiecim. By doing this, I will arrive Oswiecim in the afternoon, which left me very rushed hour in Auschwitz since it closed at 4pm during winter. The person first advised me to take a bus instead (fr Cieszyn to Oswiecim, but I nd to chg buses), but later he said:
But I think you don't need to take the bus at all - after you revealed that you'll be coming to Č. Těšín on the 0:24 am train from Prague I can give you a better advice. Get off the train in Bohumín (2 stations before Český Těšín) and change for the 6:33 local train to Kraków via Oświęcim (arr. 8:12). Re tickets:
in Prague buy an internal ticket Praha - Zebrzydowice hranica (Zebrzydowice Gr.) and get some Polish currency, so that you can buy a Zebrzydowice - Oświęcim ticket from the conductor after crossing the CZ-PL border (for ~15 zł).
What do u think? Can I save money or its the same amount or more to do the journey fr Prague, until Krakow with changing at the above places?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »

Get off the train in Bohumín (2 stations before Český Těšín) and change for the 6:33 local train to Kraków via Oświęcim (arr. 8:12). Re tickets:
in Prague buy an internal ticket Praha - Zebrzydowice hranica (Zebrzydowice Gr.) and get some Polish currency, so that you can buy a Zebrzydowice - Oświęcim ticket from the conductor after crossing the CZ-PL border (for ~15 zł).
What do u think? Can I save money or its the same amount or more to do the journey fr Prague, until Krakow with changing at the above places?
Well, but do you understand the time difference between arrival of the train to Bohumin and departure of Krakow train? You will need to wait almost 2 hours in the morning at not very pleasant place.
Still, Praha-Zebrzydowice(Gr) cost 466 CZK, can't buy online. Zebrzydowice-Oświęcim cost 11 PLN, but you will need to pay extra due to purchase of the ticket onboard.

On the contrary, if you get off at C.Tesin (= a bit more time to sleep), walk from Czech to Polish train station (wait there for app. one hour for Cieszyn-Zebrzydowice train), then you'll end up in Oświęcim at the same 8:12 am, the only difference is that you'll catch Bohumin-Krakow train not in Bohumin, but in Zebrzydowice ;)
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 06:09:30 am »

Sorry for the late reply. I was outstation for 5 days.
I'm confused here. Okey, lets start fr the beginning:
I buy the online Sparnight ticket until Zilina, but stop at Cesky Tesin, then walked to Cieszyn train station. Then, buy a ticket to Oswiecim at where? Cieszyn? I dont udstd yr statement of me boarding the train at Zebrzydowice. Plz explain again and sorry for the trouble....
Is it safe to walk fr Cesky Tesin train station to Cieszyn train station (the 2kms walk) at 5 something in the morning? Is it still very dark or u hv any idea of sunrise on Nov 27?
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 07:29:57 am »

opppsss....
I've made some research. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1. I buy the online Sparnight ticket until Zilina, but stop at Cesky Tesin. Fare is 502Kc.
2. Walk to Cieszyn train station. Buy the Cieszyn - Zebrzydowice ticket. Depart Cieszyn 0626, arrive Zebrzy 0655. Fare?
3. Buy Zebry - Oswiecim ticket. Depart Zebrzy 0659, arv Oswiecim 0812. Fare?
But then, if u see, I only hv 4 minutes at Zebrzy to get down fr the train, purchase ticket and get on the train to Oswiecim. I dont think the time is sufficient. Besides, we cant guarantee that the train will arrive on time. So, how?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:10 am »

2. Walk to Cieszyn train station. Buy the Cieszyn - Zebrzydowice ticket. Depart Cieszyn 0626, arrive Zebrzy 0655. Fare?
3. Buy Zebry - Oswiecim ticket. Depart Zebrzy 0659, arv Oswiecim 0812. Fare?
Ticket for regional trains in Poland are issued for the distance/route, but not for the specific train, so in Cieszyn you purchase one through ticket Cieszyn-Oswiecim via Zebrzydowice, no need for two separate tickets.  Cieszyn-Oswiecim via Zebrzydowice will cost 13 PLN.
But then, if u see, I only hv 4 minutes at Zebrzy to get down fr the train, purchase ticket and get on the train to Oswiecim. I dont think the time is sufficient. Besides, we cant guarantee that the train will arrive on time. So, how?
In such case it is connected trains, so one waits for the other in case of late arrival. PKP website would not have recommended such change if it was not possible. As a rule, both arrive at the same platform, so at the end you only need to walk from one train to the other.
But even if something extraordinary happens, then there is next train from Zebrzydowice towards Oswiecim at 7:36am.
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 10:31:07 am »

Ohhhh....I felt soooo relieved. Thanks tUt  :-* :-* :-*
>>Is it safe to walk fr Cesky Tesin train station to Cieszyn train station (the 2kms walk) at 5 something in the morning? Is it still very dark or u hv any idea of sunrise on Nov 27?
Also....do trains in Czech, Poland & Bosnia charge bagage seperately?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 11:10:05 am »

>>Is it safe to walk fr Cesky Tesin train station to Cieszyn train station (the 2kms walk) at 5 something in the morning? Is it still very dark or u hv any idea of sunrise on Nov 27?
It is small town, so nothing really criminal there. And as usual such towns wake up rather early, so it will be not only you on the streets.
Sunset in late November in Poland is around 7am.

Anyway, it is your choice between three options: via C.Tesin/Cieszyn with discounted ticket till Zilina, via Bohumin and waiting for the morning train to Poland there or Praha-Oswiecim by direct Praha-Krakow train (more expensive but not need to make changes, wait or walk). We just tried to present you those options.

Also....do trains in Czech, Poland & Bosnia charge bagage seperately?
If it is enormous, no. They will not charge you for the standard suitcase.
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 11:28:34 am »

>Anyway, it is your choice between three options: via C.Tesin/Cieszyn with discounted ticket till Zilina, via Bohumin and waiting for the morning train to Poland there or Praha-Oswiecim by direct Praha-Krakow train (more expensive but not need to make changes, wait or walk). We just tried to present you those options.

Yes, I udstd that...and I thank you very much for helping me with the options and advices  ;)
anitayusof00

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 06:11:35 pm »

sorry....i got questions again...(its 10 days to go before I fly out of my country),
- is the time table for mid December out yet? If yes, can u plz check again the time table & fares for the route that I'm going to take for Pecs - Sarajevo on Dec 14...and is it in Euro or in HUF?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »

For most European countries new timetable already available from DB (http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:&), for the carriages Budapest-Sarajevo via Pecs it is not yet fully available. You can see only Budapest-Beli Manastir part. As you can check on your own, changes are minor - in the new timetable IC 259 still departs Pecs at 13:00am as in previous one, so no need to worry for you. There might be some changes on Croatian and Bosnian legs, but, imho, they won't be radical.

While buying tickets in Hungary you pay in HUF, but tariff is in EUR. Price will the same as before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines