Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  INTERRAIL,SWISSPASS OR SWISS HALF FARE CARD?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: INTERRAIL,SWISSPASS OR SWISS HALF FARE CARD?  (Read 9856 times)
FeKo

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:39:08 pm »

Hello,
I am going to take a trip to Switzerland next February. I am going to stay in Vevey,a city close to Lausanne, and it's my first time travelling abroad. I would like to explore Switzerland as much as I can, in the 9 days I will spend there. I am currently searching for the cheapest way to travel by train inside Switzerland, and I can't decide whether Interrail,Swisspass or Swiss half fare card is the best way to do that. Buying tickets at every station I am is not the best way,that I know for sure. I am most interested in visiting Geneva,Lausanne,Bern,Zurich and Lucerne. Does Interrail connect them? Interrail for 8-days travel in 1 month is 141 euros for me, Swisspass for 8 days is 289 euros and Swiss half fare card 112 euros. Should anyone here knows something about these "long-term tickets" or has traveled using them, it would be extremely helpful. Of course, any new suggestion is always welcome! :)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:32:53 pm »

Buying tickets at every station I am is not the best way,that I know for sure.
Actually in some cases it does make sense to go with point-to-point tickets option - Swiss Railways have very good offer called SuperSaver tickets (--> basically 50% discount on regular ticket price). However in other cases indeed pass will be a cheaper option.
I am most interested in visiting Geneva,Lausanne,Bern,Zurich and Lucerne. Does Interrail connect them?
Yep, interrail works for all the major lines, it's not valid (or requires extra fee) only on certain private railways. Your itinerary doesn't seem to include those, thus you should be fine with Interrail pass.
Interrail for 8-days travel in 1 month is 141 euros for me, Swisspass for 8 days is 289 euros and Swiss half fare card 112 euros. Should anyone here knows something about these "long-term tickets" or has traveled using them, it would be extremely helpful.
Well, Half-Fare travelcard is mostly for locals, since it pays off over longer period of use (=big number of journeys), SwissPass mostly for non-europeans & those who want to enjoy extra perks it gives (free travel on public transport in cities/towns, entrance to museums, etc.), while interrail is indeed the cheapest option, especially if you eligible for youth pass or family pass.

p.s. if you do decided to go with interrail pass option, then make you sure you purchase it not from some reseller agency, but directly from interrail - www.interrail.eu or, judging by you ip, you can do it also at the international ticket counter in your country.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines