Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:48:48 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Belgrade-Zagreb-Ljubliana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Belgrade-Zagreb-Ljubliana  (Read 10359 times)
warlord

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:44:24 pm »

Ok this was my original plan A and right now seems like the best flight options for me.  I have done a lot more research on this and could fill my time up with day trips from Belgrade, Zagreb and Ljubliana.

So my only question is the route from Belgrade to Zagreb.  I've heard it's not a very interesting trip and did notice there is a night train between the two.  Would that be better than the 6+ hour long bus ride do you think?  If I'm not really going to see much, than maybe the train would be a better option.

If I did get the night train, are they all going to be sleeper cars?  Or will there also be just regular seats as well (since I could do that if needed).  And what about advanced booking for the sleeper cars?  Is this route in high demand that I would have to pre-purchase well in advance?  Or would a day or two in advance be ok (since I'd be in Belgrade maybe 4 nights)?

Thanks...
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:55:59 pm »

I've heard it's not a very interesting trip and did notice there is a night train between the two.
You can make it more interesting by stopping at Novi Sad, Osijek, etc. :) Regarding the overnight train... well, it seems that this year it ran only for the winter holidays time and will be running during the summer season (late June-early September) + it will be only seating carriages with arrival to Zagreb at 4am
Would that be better than the 6+ hour long bus ride do you think?  If I'm not really going to see much, than maybe the train would be a better option.
In most cases "by rail" option definitely wins when compared to bus alternative, however with overnight journey in seat and arrival at 4am...perhaps it's too much.
If I did get the night train, are they all going to be sleeper cars?  Or will there also be just regular seats as well (since I could do that if needed).
Nope, listed in the scheme are three seating carriages (one is mixed 1-2 class) only

And what about advanced booking for the sleeper cars?  Is this route in high demand that I would have to pre-purchase well in advance?  Or would a day or two in advance be ok (since I'd be in Belgrade maybe 4 nights)?
Serbian Railways doesn't sell tickets to Croatia online, but it's not really necessary to buy those in advance. You hardly would have any problems buying tickets before departure, especially since it's seat only option
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:09:14 pm »

Well thanks, turns out I was able to find a great deal for the Ukraine/Moldova trip and booked that.  I will save this information for next year...
LonnieLup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:47:10 pm »

Great stuff tUt. I'm going to use this for sure. Thanks mate.
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:07:49 pm »

Yes I still plan on doing this trip possibly this coming Spring...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines