Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:01:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  All other train travel questions  |  Warsaw to Berlin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warsaw to Berlin  (Read 8048 times)
gloria

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:35:31 pm »

Hi, I have been trying to book the train from Warsaw to Berlin, online from Australia.  None of the sites I have tried will let me book and pay online; they all want to send me paper tickets for expensive express post fees.  :o  Any advice on how to book and pay online? Gloria
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:10 pm »

Well, Polish railways website doesn't at all allow purchase of any international tickets, thus no way to book it officially via Polish side, while German railways (DB) does allow to book and pay for the ticket, but the only delivery option is 'paper ticket mailed to your home'. Additional postal charge in this case is 3,5 EUR (which is roughly 4,4 AUD). It actually not that bad, especially considering the fact that you can purchase discounted 29 EUR ticket (offer called 'Europa-Spezial Polen'), thus total you pay 32,5 EUR (while in case you purchase it at the station you'll pay standard fare 49,1 EUR) and you definitely have plenty of time till May for your ticket to arrive (usually it takes max.2 weeks with non-EU countries)

But if you don't want to proceed with such option, then you shouldn't worry about ticket at all, just buy it already in Poland. May isn't that busy yet and there is quite a few trains per day, so it's not going to be a problem to buy ticket not in advance.

p.s. and again, in case you are ok with bus travel, then there is low-cost bus company operating on route Warsaw-Berlin, it's called PolskiBus. Tickets are really cheap and easily booked online, but bus travel time is longer.

Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
gloria

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:47 pm »

Thanks again for your help.  I leave Australia in a couple of weeks for the UK, hence my concern about paper tickets being sent to my home.  I did find a travel company that would issue tickets in Australia for an additional cost of 56 Eu per person but they were still going to send me a paper ticket.  I think I'll take your advice and wait to buy ticket when I get to Warsaw.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:20:58 pm »

I leave Australia in a couple of weeks for the UK, hence my concern about paper tickets being sent to my home.
Well, if you'll stay long enough in UK, then shouldn't be a problem instead of your Australian address just to enter your UK address or hotel address (alternatively relatives/friends address in case you'll visit someone). Good chances that in a hotel they can keep your letter for a while, thus order it like a week before leaving Australia and then when you come to UK it will be already waiting for you at the reception. Or same thing can work with tickets received in Lithuania (as far as we understand you'll be there before traveling Warsaw-Berlin).
Anyway, it's obviously doesn't make sense to overpay 56 EUR just in order to have it already in Australia.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines