Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:54:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Info on Train from Vienna to Bucharest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Info on Train from Vienna to Bucharest  (Read 9235 times)
amorets

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2014, 05:21:01 pm »

Hi Folks,
Am a non-european and I just need your help regarding the train details between Vienna to Bucharest. I want to travel (round trip) from Vienna to Bucharest. I need to provide these travel details at the time of submitting for my visa. So i need to book a train which provides the refund option, just incase if my visa is rejected I can cancel these tickets. So please suggest me where i should book the tickets and which is the best option.
Thanks in advance
Amore.
arrivans

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:59:10 pm »

give more information, as this does not really makes any sense. You pass through HUNgary, also Schengen member and ROmania accepts anyone with valid Schengenvisum and has the very same rules, as its also EU-member, as for those needing visa to say in Schengen. Also about any Embassy doing Schengen visa suspects anyone wanting that extremely and mostly does not even accept train tickets-only flghts back home.
Anyway ;there is NO solution to what you ask, as you cannot buy such a ticket online. ANY full fare ticket for INternatioanl is quite pricey, is valid for 15 days (now, was 30 till last year) and has full money back, IF it is signed as not used (by a railway official), less maybe a small fee for the work but ONLY from the office where you bought it from. Most non-Euro'simply do not understand how trainticketing works here and thus think its the same as airplanes-well, it is NOT. These tickets are NOT tied to any train-they simply allow you to travel in the period with about any train you choose, with as many breaks as you can fit in, you just pay extra IF you want/need reservations for seat and/or sleeper.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:23:13 pm »

Tickets with refund option is quite pricey and basically there is not a big choice here. Kind of obvious way to go is purchase your tickets via OeBB (Austrian Railways) customer service and do so for the direct overnight train #346/347 Vienna-Bucharest (since it is a direct train there will be no problem). But once you get your visa (as far we understand you applying for Romanian visa, but flying in/out of Vienna, thus Schengen will be a transit, right?), you can simply return these tickets and opt for a cheaper option (depends on timing you've got before departure)

Anyway ;there is NO solution to what you ask, as you cannot buy such a ticket online.
In this case Online-Ticket isn't the only option for the abroad travelers, because OeBB offers so called ticket purchase via email (Customer Service form), it's not an online ticket, thus can be returned if the passenger in advance contacts OeBB
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
amorets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:26:34 pm »

Thanks for the information. Am sorry i didnt provide much information earlier. Am staying in Vienna from Oct 31st to Nov 16th. In between for 4 days I need to travel to Romania and come back to Vienna. If I get a schengen visa, i can travel to any schengen country without any extra visa, since Romania is not a schengen country I had a doubt and when i contacted the romanian embassy they gave me this url: http://www.mae.ro/en/node/2040  and they said, I can go to Romania if I hold a schengen Visa without obtaining the Romanian Visa.

The reason for me to post here is I have no idea how train ticketing works in EU. Am from Asia and 99% of Railways in Asia is owned by Government and not private. So there is only one government website where we can book the tickets which is clear. But when I search google for EU train tickets, it is not clear for me.

Thank you tUt for the reply. Will try that option.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 03:34:57 pm »

Then there is absolutely no need to think about ticket purchase right now, imho. Simply no point to buy expensive Vienna to Bucharest ticket now. You should think about tickets to Romania already once you know the decision regarding visa. If you get visa early enough, then you'll still have chance to get some discounted promo fare tickets (buying non-refundable tickets can get you a great deal). And even if all the discounted tickets are sold out at the time visa situation resolved, then there is still a number of tricks in order to pay less than OeBB wants to charge you for the journey on #346/347 train (e.g. go with Hungary-Romania + Austria-Hungary tickets combo)

So there is only one government website where we can book the tickets which is clear. But when I search google for EU train tickets, it is not clear for me.
Well, in Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe absolute majority of railways as well are state owned, the trick is that there is just a lot of countries/railways and they all have different tariffs and offers, so sometimes straight forward ticket from destination A to destination B isn't the cheapest option
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines