Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:38:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Berlin - Prague - Salzburg - Munich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Berlin - Prague - Salzburg - Munich  (Read 9094 times)
kiluagank

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:59:29 pm »

Hi guys,

we plan our trip to Visit Berlin - Prague - Salzburg - Munich. Our time is quite limited.
We are wondering, whats the best time to get the train?

We thought that we could get a evening train from Berlin - Prague, arrive at night in Prague.
And the next day, we plan to take a night train to Salzburg, is this possible? Since its gonna take 6hours by train.
And then from salzburg at evening, we take train to Munich.

Is this a good idea? Is there any night train From Prague to Salzburg ?
Or is there any better options?

Or
What if from Berlin to Prague and then Prague to Munich, then go to Salzburg just for 1 day trip from Munich.
Is that even better?

Thank you very much

(we are from Asia, your help is really really appreciate)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:04:10 pm by kiluagank » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:35:52 pm »

We are wondering, whats the best time to get the train?
What do you mean? Best in terms of cheapest tickets? Best in terms of travel time?

We thought that we could get a evening train from Berlin - Prague, arrive at night in Prague.
Well, EuroCity train depart from Berlin to Prague every two hours during the day, travel time for all of them are 4:30-5 hours. But remember that before the departure the ticket price you'll pay will be rather high (67 euro), so in case you a certain about day and train you want to take - buy your tickets in advance via German Railways (DB) website, that way you can get discounted (savings fare) tickets for as low as 29 euro.
And the next day, we plan to take a night train to Salzburg, is this possible? Since its gonna take 6hours by train.
Unfortunately it's not possible, there are no overnight trains available (the closest to overnight you can get is short overnight Prague to Vienna and next Vienna-Salzburg, but it will be quite a detour), only overnight buses on some days. Perhaps your best option would be to spend the night somewhere near Czech-Austrian border (e.g. Ceske Budejovice or Cesky Krumlov), and then early morning continue to Salzburg, this way you can be in Salzburg before 10am
And then from salzburg at evening, we take train to Munich.
Easiest leg out of all, many trains + you can get so-called Regional (Länder-Ticket), which allows unlimited journeys and covers entire Bavaria as well as Salzburg (for two passengers it will be 28 euro)

What if from Berlin to Prague and then Prague to Munich, then go to Salzburg just for 1 day trip from Munich. Is that even better?
No overnight train from Prague to Munich either (only late evening or early morning), only sort of overnight bus, but it will be just 5 hours and 4am arrival, so hardly it's a great option
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
kiluagank

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 06:58:41 pm »

Hi tUt

Thank you very very very much, your replied is very helpful.
We now have a better idea to plan our trip.

What I was referring about the best time is Time of travel and also price. I believe for price, we could get quite cheap ticket if we buy it early, am I right?

So now, basically what we have in mind are 2 options which:

1. Berlin - Prague - Salzburg - Munich
2. Berlin - Prague - Munich - Salzburg (day trip from munich)

If you could choose, which option you will go with?

I think, I prefer the second option, but I am not really sure.

So, for the Berlin - Prague
I found this site: http://czech-transport.com/index.php?id=2604 < Is this site reliable? Or is this official/legit?
There are 2 options, with bus and train.
For train, I could see its gonna take around 6 hours and from the timetable there, all of them departure at: 5.15, 9.15, 13.15, and 17.15. We dont really like the timing tho, we plan to take this trip overnight.
So the option with bus is much better in our opinion(from the same site) where its gonna take 4 or 6 hours
It seems they have bus at 8.00, 11.15, 14.15, 17.15 and 23.00. So, if we take the bus at 23.00 and arrive in the early morning, we could have a overnight journey. What do you think about this?

Thank you very much for your help and reply

Cheers
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:29:39 pm »

I believe for price, we could get quite cheap ticket if we buy it early, am I right?
Usually yes, but in your particular case with trips from Prague to Munich and from Munich to Salzburg you can get a great price even when purchasing tickets before departure, here the type of the ticket what matters (e.g. Bavaria Regional Ticket or Bavaria-Bohemia ticket)
So now, basically what we have in mind are 2 options which:
1. Berlin - Prague - Salzburg - Munich
2. Berlin - Prague - Munich - Salzburg (day trip from munich)
If you could choose, which option you will go with? I think, I prefer the second option, but I am not really sure.
Well, both are possible. With Prague to Munich you just have a bit more options (both direct daytime trains or daytime/overnight buses)

Is this site reliable? Or is this official/legit?
This is an agency-reseller, they have nothing to do with the actual train (or bus) companies. It is better to stick with official rail companies - German Railways (DB) for which we gave a link in the previous post or Czech Railways (CD), it will be more reliable and cheaper for you  ;)
There are 2 options, with bus and train.
For train, I could see its gonna take around 6 hours and from the timetable there, all of them departure at: 5.15, 9.15, 13.15, and 17.15. We dont really like the timing tho, we plan to take this trip overnight.
So the option with bus is much better in our opinion(from the same site) where its gonna take 4 or 6 hours
It seems they have bus at 8.00, 11.15, 14.15, 17.15 and 23.00. So, if we take the bus at 23.00 and arrive in the early morning, we could have a overnight journey. What do you think about this?
You mean Prague-Munich here, right? Again actual bus company which runs 23:00-4:35 bus is this one, besides there are also Eurolines buses
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
kiluagank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:43:11 pm »

Okaay,

Thank you very much for the information...

Cheers
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines