Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Kranj, Zagreb, Split
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kranj, Zagreb, Split  (Read 7961 times)
SEL

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:25 am »

Hi again!!!  :D

I hadn’t realised I’d spend quite so much time planning a two month trip but I do like to ensure all the ‘i’s are dotted and ’t’s crossed.  Factoring in meeting up with friends, also travelling, has had it’s share of problems too.  No winging it here!  The routes have changed a little from my initial itinerary and I’m now waiting patiently for railway online websites to open so that I can book tickets.  I have to admit that without your help on this forum it wouldn’t have been so enjoyable.  So I thank you very much.

I now need to get from Kranj to Zagreb.  I was originally going from Ljubljana but see that the IC211 at 14:11 actually travels through the capital leaving at 14:45.  Do I have to buy two tickets? i.e. Kranj to Ljubljana and Ljubljana to Zagreb, as the website doesn’t show a through train from Kranj.  Can I buy tickets, in advance, from Ljubljana station or should I buy them on the day at Kranj?

I’ve also read so many different opinions re bus vs train travel from Zagreb to Split.  My itinerary there is a bit of a disaster so we end up with return travel from Zagreb to Split spending a few days in each.  But no matter.  The bus is cheap and frequent with convenient times.  The train longer but less frequent fast journeys.  I reckon that by the time I’ve factored getting to & from the airports and waiting around, the bus takes not much longer with more convenient times.  The other option is one way car hire - but perhaps I’ve read too many disaster car hire stories there.  Anyway I’m happy to try different modes of transport each way.  Your thoughts?

Thank you - again.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:21:05 am »

I was originally going from Ljubljana but see that the IC211 at 14:11 actually travels through the capital leaving at 14:45.  Do I have to buy two tickets? i.e. Kranj to Ljubljana and Ljubljana to Zagreb
It is possible to travel either with two separate tickets (Slovenian domestic Kranj-Ljubljana for 4.38 euro & international Ljubljana-Zagreb for 16,4 euro) or one international ticket Kranj-Ljubljana which should cost about 21 euro. As you can see, in terms of money it's not a big difference. You might save some money only if you go for option c - purchase domestic ticket Kranj-Dobova (last Slovenian station before the border) for 11,36 euro and international Dobova-Zagreb which should be a bit less than 5 euro, thus making it in total about 16 euro for the entire trip Kranj-Zagreb (instead of about 21 euro with options a & b)
... as the website doesn’t show a through train from Kranj.
Hmm? Which website and what date? Since train #211 is Villach-Ljubljana-Zagreb-Vinkovci, it goes through Kranj and stops there   
Can I buy tickets, in advance, from Ljubljana station or should I buy them on the day at Kranj?
Whichever convenient to you, both options will work. In advance purchase in this case doesn't really save you anything, since discounted tickets aren't available for this connection, but purchase in Ljubljana might be a bit easier (first of all due to language factor) then buying the same ticket at some smaller stations.

I’ve also read so many different opinions re bus vs train travel from Zagreb to Split.  My itinerary there is a bit of a disaster so we end up with return travel from Zagreb to Split spending a few days in each.  But no matter.  The bus is cheap and frequent with convenient times.  The train longer but less frequent fast journeys.  I reckon that by the time I’ve factored getting to & from the airports and waiting around, the bus takes not much longer with more convenient times.  The other option is one way car hire - but perhaps I’ve read too many disaster car hire stories there.  Anyway I’m happy to try different modes of transport each way.  Your thoughts?
Well, on this website we usually suggest rail options :) But it doesn't mean that we didn't try bus. When I did a bus journey myself I specifically choose the bus which travels by the sea coast (it has longer travel time of about 8 hours) and not the one which takes faster highway route (here buses make the trip in about 5 hours), since it seemed to be way more interesting. Car hire will allow not only to see those nice town along the coast, but stop whenever you like + make detours (e.g. already discussed Plitvice lakes)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
SEL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16:06 pm »

Thank you tUt.
The Slovenske Zeleznice website under ‘Abroad’ only shows travel from Ljubljana, Zidani Most & Dobova to Zagreb.  I didn’t notice that Kranj-Ljubljana was a continuation of route until after I’d posted.
Are tickets train specific? 
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »

The Slovenske Zeleznice website under ‘Abroad’ only shows travel from Ljubljana, Zidani Most & Dobova to Zagreb.  I didn’t notice that Kranj-Ljubljana was a continuation of route until after I’d posted.
SZ website just shows timetable & fares from big/important stations or stations where couple lines cross, since they can't list every stop. In case of international trains helps DB website (you can click on train number and it will show you all the stops), while with Slovenian domestic trains you can check http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/en/passengers/slovenia/timetable (again click on train number to see all the stops)
Are tickets train specific?
No, Slovenian one-way domestic tickets are valid for one day (journeys <100km) for any train on route (although faster & more fancy trains require supplement to basic SZ tariff, that is the reason why SZ website prices for IC/EC trains are higher compared to slower LP trains), while international ones depending on type valid 15 days - 1 month. Separate question concerns seat reservations (which are indeed train specific), but reservations aren't obligatory for SZ or HZ trains (except Slovenian ICS (mainly run between Ljubljana and Maribor), Croatian ICN (daytime trains from Zagreb to Split) & couchettes/sleepers), you won't really need it.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines