Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:06:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Travel plans, routes and timetables  |  Prague to Unknown Destination.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prague to Unknown Destination.  (Read 6615 times)
warlord

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:02:32 pm »

Just looking at possible side trips to one of the following places and was curious of approximate travel times between them.

Prague to Berlin
Prague to Dresden
Prague to Munich
Prague to Warclaw
Prague to Katowice

I know the distances, but that doesn't mean the shortest distance is going to be the fastest train.  Looking at going to one other destination outside of the Czech Republic for a few nights.  I think the obvious one Katowice would be by far the longest at maybe 7 hours?  Just curious of all the places...
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:27:51 pm »

Hmm... Katowice is definitely worst choice, there is simply nothing to look at besides industrial areas ;)
Other options:
Berlin: 4:40 to 5:20 away, tickets from 29 euro one way
Dresden: 2:15 away from Prague, tickets from 22 euro for one day return or 26 euro one month return
Munich: from 6 hours by direct train or 5 hours train+railway bus, tickets from 29 euro one way (Bavaria-Bohemia ticket might be an option in certain cases)
Wroclav(?): from 5:12 with at least one train change, return ticket - 42 euro, but can be don cheaper with a small tariff trick.
Katowice might be substituted by Krakow, but it is already more than 8 hours away.

Additionally, we would also recommend to consider Alpine Austria (cities and/or nature), Leipzig and probably some small historic towns in Bavaria region.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
warlord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »

I chose Katowice just because it's close to Auschwitz which could be interesting to visit.  Just seems pretty far out though and not easily gotten to without a lot of train changes.  This trip I want to see some countries I haven't seen before, so since I was just in Austria a week ago, I don't really want to do that.  So Germany for pub hopping would be the idea, though I'd like to see if somehow I could fit in Poland and that would be 3 countries there.  Only problem is not wanting to spend a lot of time on trains, so maybe sticking to Berlin as it's a decent sized town or something and being relatively closer then Munich...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines