Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:02:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Intercity ticket
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Intercity ticket  (Read 13774 times)
vitamin88

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:47:18 pm »

Hi, we have 5 days in vienna and 4 days thought of going to Salzburg, Innsbruck and a day trip to Bratislava.

I would like to inquire about the Intercity ticket from Bratislava to Salzburg/Innsbruck. What will be the cheapest way to travel if say we (2 of us) go by vienna - Bratislava - Salzburg/Innsbruck - vienna ?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:20:42 pm »

Yes, taking into consideration your choice of cities to visit cheapest way will be "vienna - Bratislava - Salzburg/Innsbruck - vienna". Talking about tickets - the thing you need is called CityStar ticket Slovakia-Austria (ZSSK-OEBB), it can be purchased at any station in Slovakia (in your case Bratislava) for 54 euro one person or 81 euro for two of you, it is valid for two month and you can make unlimited stopovers on your way.
As a result such Citystar will cover Bratislava-Vienna-Salzburg-Innsbruck-Vienna part of your journey and the only thing you need additionally is to purchase quite cheap Vienna-Bratislava ticket (better to use trains from Wien Sued.Hbf, because those are much cheaper)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
vitamin88

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:48:06 am »

Hi, thanks a lot for the info provided. This is definitely a better deal and save us lots of money! Just want to double confirm that the intercity ticket is a 2 way ticket that i can hop on any fast train that from Bratislava to Innsbruck and back to Bratislava and in my case i can alight at an early station (vienna) ? where can i get the intercity train schedule ? thanks a lot!
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:28:11 am »

Yes, CityStar ticket is a return ticket (in your case Bratislava-Innsbruck-Bratislava). And you can use it for any part of the route selected only twice (there and back), but you don't need to to do it necessarily. In case you don't want to you can easily terminate you journey in Vienna instead of going all the way till Bratislava.
General advice on European timetable is http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:& or in your case you can as well use similar on OEBB website (http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
vitamin88

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 01:45:33 am »

Hi, i have checked the train schedule at the website that u provided but i could not find the train fares between Bratislava - Innsbruck. When i enter Bratislava - Salzburg - Bratislava for 2 adult, it comes out that the fares is ER108.80 with 2 changes instead of ER81 that u mentioned earlier. I am not sure where i have go wrong, pls guide me step by step.

Can i use the above InterCity ticket for my itinerary below ?
Day 1 - Vienna - Bratislava - Salzburg (pls guide me if i want to travel by bus from vienna - bratislava)
Day 2 - Salzburg
Day 3 - Salzburg - Krems/Melk
Day 4 - Krems/Melk - Vienna

Thanks.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 09:14:18 am »

1) 108 euro it is regular tariff (one way+one way tariff) - no need to purchase that. Once again - you need specifically CityStar ticket ZSSK-OEBB. The info about those Citystars aren't that easy accessible and most of the railway companies websites don't show fares for such "complicated" tickets. In your particular case you might try http://www.slovakrail.sk/index.php?id=city-star---zlava-pre-kazdeho (unfortunately only in Slovak)
2) Buses... hmmm... Try http://www.eurolines.at/en/home/ ; http://www.postbus.at/de/Regionen/Wien_-_Niederoesterreich_-_Burgenland/Fahrplan/Flughafenbus/Flughafen_Bratislava/index.jsp etc.
3) Melk is not a problem at all since it is located on the main line from Vienna to Salzburg, so you would anyway transit it. But Krems (assuming you are talking about Krems Donau) is located on the other line (check railway network map of Austria on our website)l. So if you are desperately want to visit Krems you have two options:
a) make a side trip to Krems from Vienna or St.Polten (will require additional tickets, for instance Einfach-Raus-Ticket)
b) in Bratislava you can try and purchase "tricky" CityStar with not direct route "Bratislava-Vienna-Krem-St.Polten-Innsbruck-Bratislava", but since Krems is not on the main line you might have some problems with ticket office in Bratislava, but you never know - you might succeed. The price of it nevertheless will be the same - 81 euro for 2.
vitamin88

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:44:27 pm »

Hi, thanks again for the info provided. I have some more questions :

1) is this Intercity ticket available all year round and easy to get on the day of travel? Can we pay by credit card or cash? what is the currency?

2) I plan to have a stopover at Melk and cruise to krems then train back to vienna. This involve a bus transfer since krems is not on the main train line. Do i need to purchase additional ticket for this transfer?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 06:03:02 pm »

1) is this Intercity ticket available all year round and easy to get on the day of travel? Can we pay by credit card or cash? what is the currency?
Yes, all year round (but prices might change slightly from mid December - new timetable and maybe new fares). As far as I recall you can pay with credit card too. Slovakia uses Euro, but in case you pay with card it doesn't actually matter (your card will be charged with certain amount of money equal to sum in EUR with a help of the official currency exchange rate)
2) I plan to have a stopover at Melk and cruise to krems then train back to vienna. This involve a bus transfer since krems is not on the main train line. Do i need to purchase additional ticket for this transfer?
You can take a train for Vienna-Melk route only once (and Melk-Vienna as well once) with CityStar, so in case you plan go Vienna-Melk(train)-Krems-Vienna(bus)-Vienna-Salzburg(train) your Vienna-Melk part would be already used on your trip from Vienna to Salzburg (Melk is in the middle between Vienna and Salzburg) - means need to purchase new Vienna-Melk ticket+ after Melk use old CityStar ticket.
In order to avoid buying new ticket you either need to do Vienna-Melk-Krems-Vienna trip fully by bus or go as was said earlier Vienna-Melk-Krems-Melk(by bus)-Salzburg...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines