Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:54:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Bratislava to Prague
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bratislava to Prague  (Read 9982 times)
AlexWB

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:56:19 pm »

Hi - I'm a little bit confused by something. I will be traveling to Prague soon (2 of us) and I was wondering which is cheapest (if indeed there is any difference).

1. Buy a City Star (its about 34 Euro for one person I believe?) - for two?

2. Just buy a normal return ticket (there is quite a big international discount)

I have a feeling they work out the same, but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks

Alex
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:38:01 am »

Actually CityStar and interstate tariff ZSSK-CD are rather different things. Interstate "preprava ZSSK-CD" it is 50% off standard SCIC-NRT/TCV tariff for Czech part and 60% off Slovak part (when purchasing in Slovakia) or 50% and 55% respectively (when purchasing in Czech Republic).
CityStar is much more tricky, it gives 30% off "preprava ZSSK-CD" for the first person and 20% off fare of the first person's fare for second, third etc. That is why CityStar Bratislava-Prague for one person cost 34.6 EUR (for two passengers 34.6+34.6*0.8 ), while same return ticket Bratislava-Prague with regular "preprava ZSSK-CD" will cost roughly 30% more.
As a rule ticket cashiers in Czech Republic/Slovakia simply issue cheapest option by default (in this case CityStar) without even asking, so most of the passengers might not even know that they using CityStar instead of regular ticket.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
AlexWB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:11:16 pm »

Thanks tUt, most helpful. I think I've just asked for a 'return' in the past, and they gave me a City Star (it was 33 Euro last year I think).

But don't you need to specify which train you will take with a City Star? I know which trains I want to take, but I'm just wondering for the future.

Also, I'm planning to return on the SC train (for which I need a 8 Euro reservation). My question is, can I buy this return reservation in Bratislava, or will I have to wait until I'm in Prague?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:46:06 pm »

I think I've just asked for a 'return' in the past, and they gave me a City Star.
Yes, this is exactly how it usually goes - CityStar by default.
But don't you need to specify which train you will take with a City Star? I know which trains I want to take, but I'm just wondering for the future.
No, no need to specify the train. Moreover SC is the only one with compulsory reservation, others are just hop-in/hop-off. The only thing you need to specify is the starting day of validity. Usually cashiers do issue from the day of purchase, but upon request they can make it valid from any day in near future. CityStar, as same as standard international tickets, is valid for one month
Also, I'm planning to return on the SC train (for which I need a 8 Euro reservation). My question is, can I buy this return reservation in Bratislava, or will I have to wait until I'm in Prague?
You can do it in Bratislava without any problems or purchase it online from CD eShop (will cost 174 CZK)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
AlexWB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:38:24 pm »

Hi tUt

Just got back from my trip to Prague and I wanted to let you know that I got my SC reservation for free - did they make a mistake? I know that it is free for some tickets - but when I read it (bearing in mind that I don't really speak Slovak) it seemed to say that it was for 1st class, discounted cards, etc, etc.

I bought my City Star at Bratislava station, then asked for two reservations for the SC from Prague to BA. The lady was very confused, and tried to convince me the train didn't exist! Eventually she gave me the reservations, which cost 0 Euro.

p.s - the train is super - well worth getting.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:01:05 am »

I wanted to let you know that I got my SC reservation for free - did they make a mistake? I know that it is free for some tickets - but when I read it (bearing in mind that I don't really speak Slovak) it seemed to say that it was for 1st class, discounted cards, etc, etc.
That is actually a tricky question, since ZSSK on there own website (http://www.slovakrail.sk/index.php?id=zalohy0) lists 'CityStar' under '7 EUR reservation', but on the other hand we can read under '0 EUR' the following: "vydáva sa len na 2. vozňovú triedu a len k priamym cestovným lístkom v susedskej preprave ZSSK – ČD (vrátane zľavnených cestovných lístkov, CityStar ZSSK – ČD a traťového spiatočného mesačného cestovného lístka Bratislava – Břeclav a Bratislava - Brno)...". Thus obviously they do distinguish CityStar ZSSK–ČD and simple/other CityStars, our guess that this probably the reason for your 0 EUR. Czech railways on the contrary don't bother to make such detailed overview and simply say that (http://www.cd.cz/mezinarodni-cestovani/jizdenka/slevy-evropa/-9329/) passengers need to pay for reservation only with domestic tickets, tickets not purchased from CD or ZSSK and passes. As you can see, with Czech explanation it is more obvious that you don't need to pay for reservation, while with Slovak it is a bit more complicated.
Anyway it turned out to be a good thing that you didn't purchase reservation online  ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines