Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:33:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Dresden/Bratislava v/v
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dresden/Bratislava v/v  (Read 5602 times)
boughtmypoints

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:10:07 pm »

Fantastic forum.  I used travel frequently in the 70's and 80's in Eastern Europe, always trying to buy tickets in Budapest on the old COMECON tariff.

3 years ago I traveled from Bratislava to Dresden.  Can't remember what I paid ... maybe you can remind me.  But once in Germany I made extensive use of the Laender tickets and noticed that the Sachsen ticket included Bohemia, i.e. the Czech Republic.  So for 20 odd euros it was possible for 2 of us (and possibly up to 5) to travel from the Bavarian border to within a short distance of Bratislava.

Does such a trick work in the opposite direction?  I just have to know how much money I wasted 3 years ago!!!  Though my companion was my then 8 year old son and I am not sure he needed a ticket.

tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:22:04 am »

3 years ago I traveled from Bratislava to Dresden.  Can't remember what I paid ... maybe you can remind me.
Well, full tariff was actually rather expensive even then - it should have been app. 70+ EUR, but there were chance to travel cheaper with either breaking your ticket via Czech-German border or buying discounted Europa Spezial Bratislava-Dresden from DB website (from 39 EUR). Cheap Czech Brno-Dresden SporoTickets weren't available yet.
...noticed that the Sachsen ticket included Bohemia, i.e. the Czech Republic.  So for 20 odd euros it was possible for 2 of us (and possibly up to 5) to travel from the Bavarian border to within a short distance of Bratislava.
Yepp, the thing is called Sachsen-Böhmen-Ticket, it combines Sachen ticket + pass for neighboring Czech regions. More info here - http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/dbregio/ausfluege/sachsen/MDB86333-sachsen_boehmen_ticket_2011.pdf (on page 4 you can actually see the map of all the Czech destination it is valid till)
Does such a trick work in the opposite direction?  I just have to know how much money I wasted 3 years ago!!!
As of today there are couple way to travel Bratislava-Dresden, first of all already mention discounted SporoTicket from Brno to Dresden (from 29 EUR), Bratislava-Brno is rather cheap. Then there is also weekend option - SONE+DB pass, it is valid for the whole Czech network and till neighboring regions of Germany (including Dresden), it costs 650 CZK (up to 5 passengers). On other days there is ČD Net+DB pass, cost from 250 to 300 CZK and is valid for one of the bordering Czech regions (Plzeňský, Karlovarský, Liberecký etc.) and German border region. Plus there is still a good chance to catch 39 EUR Europa Spezial ticket Bratislava-Dresden bought online from DB website.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines