Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:37:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Ceske Krumlov, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ceske Krumlov, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest  (Read 8014 times)
Jadam

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:21:14 am »

Hello,

Been trying to do some research and it seems you're the master of train planning, tUt.  Thanks in advance!

Two of us are doing Prague - Ceske Krumlov (1), then to Vienna (2), on to Bratislava (3), and finally to Budapest (4).

(1)  I've found some inexpensive bus tickets for this.

(2)  I'm mostly having trouble here.  I see shuttles that go direct for about $130 for two.  I've pieced together trains going CK, to Ceske Bud, to Vienna for about $80.  I'm thinking this can be done easier or cheaper as the Gmund to Vienna leg is coming up at 48 euro.  Other option is shuttle to Linz, but the train to Vienna is coming up at 53 euro.  Is it possible to buy the 28 euro Einfach-Raus ticket going into Vienna?  Is it something you need to purchase in advance?

(3)  Seems pretty easy.  Trains run during the day, just buy a ticket at the station?  I've seen some posts saying as low as 14 euro?

(4)  Not sure about this one.  Hard to find any info on pricing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again for any help!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:01:27 pm »

(1)  I've found some inexpensive bus tickets for this.
Not sure what inexpensive in this case means, but just in case - train ticket for two with one change in České Budějovice  will cost you 365 CZK (https://www.cd.cz/eshop/). If the bus is cheaper than 183 CZK per person - go with it.
(2)  I'm mostly having trouble here.  I see shuttles that go direct for about $130 for two.  I've pieced together trains going CK, to Ceske Bud, to Vienna for about $80.  I'm thinking this can be done easier or cheaper as the Gmund to Vienna leg is coming up at 48 euro.  Other option is shuttle to Linz, but the train to Vienna is coming up at 53 euro.  Is it possible to buy the 28 euro Einfach-Raus ticket going into Vienna?  Is it something you need to purchase in advance?
Well, since two passengers traveling, then Einfach-Raus ticket from Gmund to Vienna is your best catch (especially since it can be bought online - http://www.oebb.at/en/Tickets/Groups/Einfach-Raus-Ticket/index.jsp , thus you won't need to get off train in Gmund to buy it, but go straight to Vienna). Ticket Český Krumlov-České Velenice(last Czech station before Gmund) cost 158 CZK for two. Ticket České Velenice-Gmünd NÖ cost 29 CZK per person, but since it is only 4 minutes between two places the chances of you being checked is minimal. Other option is simply to take a walk from České Velenice train station to Gmünd NÖ train station, it's only app. 2km from each other, then you will have a chance to buy your Einfach-Raus-Ticket already at the station (from ticket counter or ticket machine). As result your transport expenses for both of you for the whole route Český Krumlov-Vienna will be less than 50 USD.
(3)  Seems pretty easy.  Trains run during the day, just buy a ticket at the station?  I've seen some posts saying as low as 14 euro?
Yes, the train ticket isn't that expensive, 14 EUR is the correct fare (and it is actually for return ticket), but if you intend to travel only one way, then bus might be cheaper option (for instance http://www.eurolines.at/de/home/ , from 6.6 EUR)
(4)  Not sure about this one.  Hard to find any info on pricing.  Any help would be appreciated.
Actually it is rather easy, because you have two major train options: a) go to the ticket counter and purchase straight forward ticket (will cost 16 EUR per person); b) purchase Slovak domestic ticket till Sturovo (6.3 EUR). Sturovo is located right across the river (Danube) from nice Hungarian town Esztergom (check google maps), so you can just  cross the bridge to Hungary, enjoy the old town and then catch one of the multiple Hungarian domestic trains to Budapest (ticket cost 1100 HUF or app. 4 EUR). If don't want to make any changes, but to pay less than 16 EUR, then there is buses available for Bratislava-Budapest route as well - https://www.slovaklines.sk/main-page.html 
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
jfk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:44:22 pm »

tUt said it all, below are just some comments if you want to save even more:

(1)
You can actually travel by train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov for as low as 160 CZK per person by using a "Sporotiket", a special discounted ticket for specific routes. However, you need to purchase the ticket at least 7 days before departure.

More info can be foud here: http://www.cd.cz/vnitrostatni-cestovani/jizdenka/jizdne-a-slevy/-4983/

(2)+(3)
I don't know how much time do you want to spend in Vienna, but if it is only a short-time stop on the one day journey from Cesky Krumlov to Bratislava, you can use the Einfach-Raus ticket all the way to Wolfsthal near Slovak border. From there, you can take bus Nr 901 to Bratislava. The ticket price is 1.50 EUR per person (or 0.75 EUR for those younger 26 years).
Departures from Wolfsthal can be found here: http://www.imhd.zoznam.sk/ba/index.php?w=3023ef2f302523ea&l=791&x=629146227753

(4)
If going one-way I prefer connection via Komarno/Komarom as the stations Sturovo and Ezstergom are quite distant from each other (approx 6-7 km). Sturovo station is located out of the city and it is better to take the bus to get to the city proper. Komarno - Komarom distance is no more than 3 km.

There is also an alternative route via Rajka: You can take direct bus Nr 801 from Bratislava city center to Rajka for 1.50 EUR and then take train to Budapest for approx 12.50 EUR. The savings when compared to 16 EUR return ticket are small, but there's no walking involved.

However, as for the price on route Bratislava - Budapest, no one can compete with buses of the Student Agency company, with prices starting as low as 5 EUR (but more realistic is 7 EUR)
More info here: http://jizdenky.studentagency.cz/cs/ceniky/praha-madarsko.html
You can purchase the tickets online.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:36 pm »

...all the way to Wolfsthal near Slovak border. From there, you can take bus Nr 901 to Bratislava. The ticket price is 1.50 EUR per person (or 0.75 EUR for those younger 26 years).
Hmmm... btw, nice idea for anybody having CityStars, Spar etc. ticket with the option to get it till last Austrian station, since rail ticket Kittsee/Marchegg-Bratislava cost 4 EUR you actually save 2.5 by using this trick.
If going one-way I prefer connection via Komarno/Komarom as the stations Sturovo and Ezstergom are quite distant from each other (approx 6-7 km). Sturovo station is located out of the city and it is better to take the bus to get to the city proper. Komarno - Komarom distance is no more than 3 km.
Agree, Komarno is also a good choice to beat international tariff, so it is actually a matter of tourist choice - whether you choose to see Esztegom or Komarno on your way to Budapest  ;)
And concerning distance between Sturovo train station and Esztergom bus/train station. Also agree that it is a bit long for a walk for majority of people, but there is actually local bus that will get you from Sturovo train station up to the bridge, thus actual walking distance then will be 1.5 till Esztergom bus station or 2.5km to Esztergom train station.
However, as for the price on route Bratislava - Budapest, no one can compete with buses of the Student Agency company, with prices starting as low as 5 EUR (but more realistic is 7 EUR)
Just checked, evening Eurolines bus cost 5 EUR (adult ticket) or even cheaper for <26 and >60, so I guess competition on the route does have an effect :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:30:08 pm by tUt » Logged
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Jadam

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:21:15 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!  Let me look this over and I'll get back to you with any questions I might have.  I really appreciate it!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines