Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:12:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Cheap Tickets from Paris to Zurich
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheap Tickets from Paris to Zurich  (Read 12491 times)
jerzy123

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:40:51 am »

Any suggestions in getting cheap tickets from Paris to Zurich.  If I go to tgv's website it redirects me to raileurope.  I know raileurope charges a mark up on tickets that I could probably get cheaper elsewhere.  Thanks,
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:14:58 am by tUt » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »

That is the question answer for which really depends on the date of travel and train choice. As a rule, avoiding raileurope as agency selling tickets for the overseas visitors is a good thing and in this case can be done when websites (like tgv-europe.com) don't see in you an overseas visitor. Basically, nobody checks your citizenship with the ticket or in no case it is printed even on the ticket, thus when trying to buy ticket it's a good idea simply enter as French or EU member citizen (let's call it small intentional mistake :) ), in such case fares tend to be lower, than for overseas users.
Sometimes it also might make sense to buy ticket till last French station+another one for Basel-Zurich Swiss part. But again it all depends on date and train choice. So if you will give us your desired date and time slot, then we can take a look and recommend you something more precisely ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:45:41 pm by tUt » Logged
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
jerzy123

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:54:59 pm »

I was thinking of leaving Paris around 8:00 am on June 30th to arrive in Zurich by 1:00 Pm
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 04:40:52 pm »

I was thinking of leaving Paris around 8:00 am on June 30th to arrive in Zurich by 1:00 Pm
Hmm... seems that 62 EUR offer (available if you enter as EU visitor) for 8:24-13:00 direct TGV train is your best chance here. At least it's not 173 USD offered by agency.
Idea with Mulhouse (as last station before Basel) doesn't really make sense for June 30, since cheapest option there is 39 EUR ticket (thus not worthy to do the trick)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
jerzy123

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:01:36 am »

tried doing that and then after I enter my credit card information it says the following"Votre paiement a été refusé.
Nous regrettons de ne pas pouvoir donner une suite favorable à votre demande."

Basically the transaction cannot occur at this time.  I tried multiple credit cards.  do you think the system is smart enough to know that I am paying from the United States and won't let it go through?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 02:09:19 am »

do you think the system is smart enough to know that I am paying from the United States and won't let it go through?
Hmm... doubt that. Most probably it's some kind of SNCF system problems or your bank safety precautions. Might be a good idea to try tomorrow some time, just to recheck. If not, then maybe try contacting your bank for more specific info about this failed transactions, their info might tell you a bit more.
Anyway, even if it's trick with ip (but honestly hard to believe), guess you can try tricking it by using EU country proxy.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:06:05 pm »

Btw, if you still have problem with purchasing the ticket you want on SNCF websites, then you might try Swiss railways one (seemed that your card worked fine there). SBB as well offers discounted tickets for the same TGV 9211 (08:24-13:00, June 30), here it cost 82 CHF (app. 66 EUR), so you 'overpay' only around 4 EUR.
jerzy123

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »

Thanks for the help.  On the SBB site - it will work but you can't print your tickets on line.  They will mail them to you for a fee of 45 Euros. 
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:58 pm »

On the SBB site - it will work but you can't print your tickets on line.
Just tried few time to buy similar one (same route Paris-Zurich, different dates), every time went through all the steps and during the last "5. Purchase" SBB always offered free "Print-it-yourself ticket" option.
jerzy123

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:45 pm »

ok, i just tried it again and i don't see that option to print it yourself.

what website are you on?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 11:26:23 pm »

ok, i just tried it again and i don't see that option to print it yourself. what website are you on?
Strange... we using SBB eshop - https://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/b2c/sprache.do?en (btw, SBB implemented new interface just recently, seems much more efficient now). Under "Trips to Europe" need to pick not just "Tickets", but "The lowest fares for direct connections to major cities"
Then out of the list just choose "Paris" and "Zurich", proceed few steps (train choice, tariff choice etc.) and get to last 5 stage (chosen not 30.06, but previous date so we won't block ticket offer for you):

While clicking 'next' you get this page -
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 11:29:34 pm by tUt » Logged
jerzy123

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 01:15:34 am »

I see what the problem is now.

When I click on 4 persons for my family the print option does not show up but when I just click on 1 person and go through the same steps you did then I do see the print option show up.

Any ideas how to correct this?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 02:23:07 am »

When I click on 4 persons for my family the print option does not show up but when I just click on 1 person and go through the same steps you did then I do see the print option show up. Any ideas how to correct this?
Hmm... for 2 passengers (1 adult+ 1 child) it also doesn't seem to work. Anyway, we afraid it's just some technical thing from SBB when "print your own ticket" is not issued for more than 1 passenger. Maybe it makes sense just to email SBB directly and ask them about how to "solve" the problem, since we can't see any solution besides buying tickets separately (but then for children you anyway can't purchase it separately...hmmm vicious circle).
If not, then maybe you can go with option "mailed within Europe" for 8 EUR? Especially if you have somebody in Paris (or EU in general) or already booked hotel, so SBB can mail tickets to your hotel, while later you'll just pick them up. Obviously doesn't sound like a good option, but at least you don't pay raileurope crazy fare.
jerzy123

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 01:47:23 pm »

For future reference - attached is a response from SBB regarding why tickets from paris to zurich are not available on line:

Regular fare tickets from Paris to Switzerland aren't available as online tickets for print out at home. the confirmation mail is not valid as ticket.

Please note that tickets may only be collected at an SBB sales point within Switzerland. Those wishing to collect tickets at a foreign railway station, should contact the railway company of the country concerned.

A list of the issuing offices may be found under: http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/shop-ips-bahnhofsliste.html.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:00 pm »

Regular fare tickets from Paris to Switzerland aren't available as online tickets for print out at home. the confirmation mail is not valid as ticket
Seems like a bit of misunderstanding between you and SBB. Did you mention to them that you want discounted (in your case 82 CHF) ticket? Because it is exactly the point, that with "regular fare tickets" print at home is useless, thus not offered (you can see it if you choose 135 CHF ticket). But with discounted one it the key thing that you can print it on your own without ticket counter (again as SBB offers 'print at home' option)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines