Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:16:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Price of Barcelona to Bratislava
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Price of Barcelona to Bratislava  (Read 7345 times)
AlexWB

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2011, 11:03:52 pm »

Hi again

Do you know (or can you quickly find out) the price for this route (the exact route isn't important, but through SE France, Switzerland and Austria looks the best).... I'm thinking about buying a normal ticket and stopping off in a couple of places - is it only return tickets which allow you to do this?

And while I'm here...

Do you know any tricks to reduce the cost of Bratislava to Liverpool by train (one way would be best) The cheapest I can get it to is about 180 Euro each way including some couchettes etc (if my memory is right) - can it be done cheaper???

Thanks

Alex  :)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:23:18 pm »

Do you know (or can you quickly find out) the price for this route (the exact route isn't important, but through SE France, Switzerland and Austria looks the best).... I'm thinking about buying a normal ticket and stopping off in a couple of places - is it only return tickets which allow you to do this?
Not only return, any SCIC-NRT(previously known as TCV) ticket allows stops during validity period, which is for long distance usually at least one month. But the problem here is in a bit different thing - usage of NRT tickets in Spain and France. Both tend to sabotage the whole thing, and if previously it was mainly Spain, but now it seems also in regard to SNCF, since jizdenka (which is basically what you can purchase in Czech Republic and Slovakia) just stopped showing many tickets in regard to France. And that is bad sign, especially in case you'll try to buy such ticket in Slovakia.
But in theory SNCF segment in SCIC-NRT costs around 75-80 EUR (Cerbere-Montp.-Avign.-Lyon), while easily purchasable Geneve-Bratislava (via Lausanne-Zurich-Buchs etc.) cost 148 EUR. For segment Cerbere-Barcelona just better to buy regular regional train ticket for <15 EUR
Do you know any tricks to reduce the cost of Bratislava to Liverpool by train (one way would be best) The cheapest I can get it to is about 180 Euro each way including some couchettes etc (if my memory is right) - can it be done cheaper???
Hmm... the most obvious way to travel cheap by rail is to 'hunt' for the discounted tickets from DB/OeBB, first one from Bratislava to Cologne (depending on connection seats from 49 EUR, couchette from 59 EUR) or Vienna-Cologne (seats from 29 EUR, couchette from 39 EUR). While then DB sells London-Spezial with change in Brussels (ThalysEuroStar) from 49 EUR (http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/international/london-spezial.shtml). Those 49 EUR tickets are difficult to catch, but the ones for 59-69 EUR are a bit easier to find. London-Liverpool depends on the offer and company, but generally it's not very difficult to catch good fare by crosschecking all the possible options here, so you can travel even for 5 GBP
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:05:14 pm by tUt » Logged
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
AlexWB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:32:39 am »

Thanks for the info - I didn't know about the London Spezial so that's useful to know.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines