Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 12:09:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Budapet to Zagreb and Zagreb to Istambul
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapet to Zagreb and Zagreb to Istambul  (Read 6140 times)
m.leggerini

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:23:50 am »

Hi! I'm trying to find cheap train tickets to do the route Budapest-Zagreb and Zagreb-Istambul but i can't, when a think i found something, there's no fare. does someone knows how i can find them? thanks!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:34:12 pm »

Well, if you specifically interested in fares, then we can definitely help: Budapest-Zagreb cost 30 EUR (and it's difficult to make it cheaper unless you have some discounts for Hungarian part), then it is better to buy ticket till Belgrade, you anyway will have to go via Serbian capital) - Zagreb-Belgrade cost around 160 HRK (app. 22 EUR). While already from Belgrade you can catch direct carriage to Istanbul (going via Sofia), direct full fare ticket Belgrade-Istanbul will cost app. 40 EUR. So in total ticket part Zagreb-Belgrade-Sofia-Istanbul will cost less than 100 EUR. Plus you might consider sleeper reservations on any of the segments of the journey. 

p.s. in case you plan additional rail travels in the Balkan states (and not just the above route) you might also consider Balkan Flexi pass, which in many instances is a cheaper option in case of extensive rail travel in the region. 
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
m.leggerini

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 01:37:01 am »

Thanks fot he tips!! I'll definitely do that. the ticket from budapeste to zagreb i can buy directly on the station? in advanced? and to go to istambul from zagreb (by the route zagreb-belgrade-sofia-istambul) can i buy all the tickets in zagreb? and how long is the trip till istambul? just another thing, i'll be going in january, is it better buy the tickes in advanced? thank you again!
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:28:14 am »

the ticket from budapeste to zagreb i can buy directly on the station? in advanced?
Yep, not a problem to buy it even 5 minutes before departure, anyway all the trains there don't require seat reservation, thus they basically can't be sold out. In case you really want to purchase it in advance online you actually can - via official Hungarian railways website, but, imho, in your case it's too much unnecessary hassle.
and to go to istambul from zagreb (by the route zagreb-belgrade-sofia-istambul) can i buy all the tickets in zagreb? and how long is the trip till istambul?
Better not to buy Belgrade-Istanbul ticket in Zagreb since you'll pay more comparing to the fare when buying in Belgrade. So just go to Serbia and buy it there ;)
Regarding timing: Budapest-Zagreb takes around 6 hours, Zagreb-Belgrade also around 6 hours, while Belgrade-Istanbul, as of now, - whole day and night...speeds are rather low there.
  i'll be going in january, is it better buy the tickes in advanced? thank you again!
For the segments Budapest-Zagreb and Zagreb-Belgrade no need to reserve or buy anything in advance. For the Belgrade-Istanbul it might make sense, but only during busy season, while in the off-peak season Istanbul carriage usually not extremely popular. But in case you worry, you can always contact usually reliable Wasteels agency in Belgrade and ask them about sleeper reservation in advance.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines