Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:06:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  HELP! The cheapest way to get to Deva (Romania) from Athens?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP! The cheapest way to get to Deva (Romania) from Athens?  (Read 5316 times)
jessiechn

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:55 am »

Folks, I need help because the train, bus and flight are confusing me!
I have a wedding to attend in Deva, Romania and I need to travel from Athens on the 8th October.
What's the cheapest way to reach the destination?
How long does it take?
Cheers.

Jessie
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:31:49 am »

The problem here is that currently Greece suspended all the international trains, thus it obviously complicates your task a bit. But still you can always catch a domestic Greek train to Thessaloniki (cheaper to buy your ticket online), from there bus to Sofia (for instance - http://www.union-ivkoni.com/razeu_v-1-323 or check on http://ktelmacedonia.gr). While from Sofia it's already easier, since you can get direct train to Bucuresti (app. 25 EUR). Bucuresti-Deva is also relatively easy to do by train, fare depends on when you purchase your ticket and specific train chosen.
In terms of timing it will take almost whole day to travel Athens-Thessaloniki-Sofia, then overnight to Bucuresti + 8-9 hours by train to Deva from there, so in total doubt you can make it in less than 30 hours.

p.s. there is also plenty of direct buses from Greece (including those from Athens) to Romania, they might give you a better timing since go straight without need to change means of transport, but such option hardly can be called a comfort journey, imho.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines