Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:50:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  SLOVENIA - making stops with return tickets
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLOVENIA - making stops with return tickets  (Read 7681 times)
filu

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:34:20 pm »

Sorry, this question can be a bit too 'local' but maybe someone knows the answer... I still did not get any reply from the Slovenian Railways.

Me and my friend are visiting Slovenia this weekend. We would like to use 30% discount on weekend return connections offer. 
However, some details are not clear at their website:

1. Can we make stops on our way?

We would like to travel on Zidani Most - Maribor line and stop at each of those places listed:

On Saturday:         Zidani Most - Lasko - Celje - Pragersko (overnight stay here, then continue next day)
On Sunday:           Pragersko - Maribor - Zidani Most.

Can we simply buy only one return ticket Zidani Most -Maribor -Zidani Most ?
Can we buy an IC return ticket and use LP/RG trains with this ticket?
Or buy ICS return ticket and use IC, LP trains also? (this can be complicated due to compulsory reservation in ICS)

This would save us money and time comparing to buying short distance single tickets.
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:22 pm »

1.Can we make stops on our way?
Yep, why not? That is the usual logic for any domestic tickets in that part of Europe. As far as you travel during the validity period, you can make as many stops as you want. We didn't do such thing particularly in Slovenia, but in neighboring to Slovenia - Hungary and Croatia it worked perfectly and without any problems. The only inconvenience is that you might be obliged to get special stamp on your ticket (from service center or other station official) in case you make a stop.
Can we simply buy only one return ticket Zidani Most -Maribor -Zidani Most ?
Yes, it will be valid for 15 days
Can we buy an IC return ticket and use LP/RG trains with this ticket?
Yes again, company operator is the same, even tariff is the same. The difference just in special supplement for IC trains (http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/si/ticket/sz_zuschlag.jpg), but no problem to use it on 'lower rank' trains.
Or buy ICS return ticket and use IC, LP trains also? (this can be complicated due to compulsory reservation in ICS)
How compulsory reservation is a problem here? It's not necessarily printed on the same ticket sheet, so there should be no problem buying just ticket (or ticket+one reservation) and again should be no problem using it on LP/RG

p.s. obviously better to recheck everything with SZ once you there, but we would be really surprised in case something of the above is wrong, since it all looks totally logic.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:11:33 am »

Thanks,

Our plan is:

LP Zidani Most - Lasko
LP Lasko - Celje
IC Celje - Pragersko

then the next day (Sunday)

(LP or ICS) Pragersko - Maribor
(IC or ICS) Maribor - Zidani Most

Using ICS's on Sunday would give us a little bit more time in Maribor but I'm wondering if it's worth the price.

So as I understand if we don't use ICS then we just buy IC return ticket Zidani Most - Maribor (11,88 eur) and then just single ICS supplements if needed.

Just for fun, here is the reply I got from SI... (question copied from this forum). It doesnt really say much :-)

Hellow,
For your trip, you can buy a ticket:
Zidani most - Celje one way normal price is 2,44€ and
Celje - Maribor - Zidani most stop at Pragersko, retour ticket 30% discount 8,58€ for one person.
Best regards!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:40:01 pm »

Cool I've got another reply now:

For the local ticket inside of Slovenija :

-----

Travel interruption
You may interrup your journey once in either direction and you must validate your ticket as soon as you exit the train at the station where your journey has ended . An interrupted journey does not extend the validty of a ticket. At the station where your journey ends you may ask for a refund for a fully valid or partially used ticket.

-----

Thanks anyway :-)
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:31:23 pm »

Using ICS's on Sunday would give us a little bit more time in Maribor but I'm wondering if it's worth the price.
Well, in case you interested in Pendolino (in this case it will be ETR 460), then it does make sense ;)
...if we don't use ICS then we just buy IC return ticket Zidani Most - Maribor (11,88 eur) and then just single ICS supplements if needed.
Hmm... that can be tricky, since there are definitely "upgrades" from basic to IC or ICS, but doubt there is a particular "upgrade" from IC ticket to ICS, thus they might sell only standard supplement for basic tariff ticket. Thus in your case it means that you'll probably will lose the difference between IC and basic tariff ticket.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 05:50:33 pm »

I've actually simplified my question here as I did not stay overnight in Pragersko but in Ptuj and then I was returning to Pragersko and continuing in the morning but this part (Pragersko-Ptuj return) was easy for me ;)

SO that's what I've done (all the tickets return weekend 30% discount):

Zidani Most - Celje (with stop in Lasko, stop marked at the ticket office in Lasko)

Celje - Maribor (with stop in Pragersko and immediate change for Pragersko - Ptuj - Pragersko route then continuing Pragersko - Maribor the next day; no stop marked on the ticket in Pragersko as the office was closed both times I was there)

Pragersko - Ptuj

Then one way IC reservations... :)

Sat: Celje - Ptuj
Sun: Ptuj - Maribor (actually only the Ptuj-Pragersko was IC; the train Pragersko - Maribor was ICS (earlier) or local (later). The controller in ICS was very nice and allowed me to ride ICS with the IC supplement instead of waiting one hour longer for the local train)

So reservations did not really match the tickets which caused a bit of confusion for both the cashier and ticket inspectors but everything was fine and legal :)

Once again many thanks :-)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines