Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:38:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Stopovers with EUROPA-SPECIAL ticket
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stopovers with EUROPA-SPECIAL ticket  (Read 13531 times)
filu

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:07 am »

I'm wondering...

At my online Europa-Special ticket (it's Europa-Kroatien specifically) for Offenburg-Zagreb, it's written (A loose translation from German):

"DB: Valid only for the specific trains on the specific days."

Then at the 'VIA' section of the ticket the train numbers and departures of trains are specified, but only for the German part. I mean I need to take IC/ICE trains in Offenburg, Heidelberg, Munich and Villach. The first 3 departures (train numbers) are clearly specified in the VIA section, but the one in Villach is not (There is only standard 'via' ...Salzburg*Villach* Jesenice...). However this change is required and it's marked on my timetable under the ticket. Moreover, the small print above ticket says it is valid for one month as typical TCV ...

Thus, as in Subject :-)

0. Am I allowed to make stopovers once I leave Germany?

Then, if the answer is yes... :-)

1. Is there any official info about it to print-out and show just in case of problems?

2. The 'VIA' section specifies a departure from Munich. Do I need to use this train until Villach or can I make a stopover even immediately after crossing the DB/OBB border?

3. As at the usual DB online ticket, I have my timetable written below. Will it not make any trouble if I use different trains? (I mean already outside DB). This timetable wouldn't be there if I had bought the ticket not online but at the desk and I'm pretty sure it's just an information, not an obligation (One may buy a Lander-Ticket this way and have anything printed there, yet the ticket will be valid all around the land the whole day)

PS. I've done that once in Slovenia, in Ljubljana I was waiting for my EC to Munich but there was a local train leaving to Jesenice one hour in advance and I've decided to see this small town before. I've just asked the ticket inspector before entering the train if I can travel to Jesenice and wait there or do I need to stay here. He looked at the ticket briefly and said sure no problem. Yet I don't know if he did it according to the rules or he did not know them / didn't care :-)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:23:38 pm by filu » Logged
filu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 06:40:30 pm »

Mhmmm, I've just found that, quite detailed info about db tariffs and tickets, seems like Zugbindung for Europa-Specials is obligatory only in Germany,
however it's not an official source... : http://www.janzbikowski.de/blog/haufige-bahnfragen/#frueher

Wie funktioniert das mit der Zugbindung?

Fahrkarten zu den Sparpreisen gelten auf den Fernverkehrsabschnitten (IC, EC, ICE, TGV) nur für den gebuchten Zug, der auf der Fahrkarte angegeben ist. Dasselbe gilt für Europa-Spezial-Tickets auf dem deutschen Streckenabschnitt.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:42:19 pm by filu » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 12:35:23 am »

A tricky question  ;D
The thing is that the only available online doc (at least we know about) is this. If you go to page 33, you'll read particularly about Europa-Spezial Kroatien. Under part 9.2.4.7 it's stated: Eine Fahrtunterbrechung ist unter Einhaltung der Zugbindung höchstens zweimal je Fahrtrichtung, bis maximal je unter 48 Stunden möglich. As far as we understand, it refers to the cases when you/cashier manually enter stopovers yourself prior to purchase. Also earlier (9.2.4.3) we have: Die Fahrkarten zum Angebot „Europa-Spezial Kroatien“ gelten nur für die eingetragenen Tage und Züge (Zugbindung). Anyway, the best idea is simply to email DB directly, they tend to answer quickly and you'll definitely dispel your doubts.
Ourselves we usually do more conventional trick in order to make a stopover: when purchasing similar Europa-Spezial ticket we just enter needed stopovers and time for it, it still allows to purchase discounted ticket, but at the same time makes a stop let's say 'officially recognized' and in compliance with part 9.2.4.7

I've done that once in Slovenia, in Ljubljana I was waiting for my EC to Munich but there was a local train leaving to Jesenice one hour in advance and I've decided to see this small town before. I've just asked the ticket inspector before entering the train if I can travel to Jesenice and wait there or do I need to stay here. He looked at the ticket briefly and said sure no problem.
Did you have Spar ticket or normalpreis? Even if yes, then anyway hint about conductor did not know/didn't care sounds rather plausible, so doubt this case can serve as any proof/example.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
rasha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 12:50:19 am »

What is the longest duration of stopover allowed with DB EuropaSpezial?
filu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 01:03:30 pm »

Did you have Spar ticket or normalpreis

Sprarpres of course. I know the rules with the standard tickets :-)

I'll email db and see what the say.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »

What is the longest duration of stopover allowed with DB EuropaSpezial?
Depends on destination. According to tariff rules in some cases it's (as was quoted above) precisely 2 stopovers for max.48 hours in total, in other just written: "Eine Fahrtunterbrechung ist unter Einhaltung der Zugbindung bis zu zweimal je Fahrtrichtung möglich", thus allowing even more time for a stopover (-->max 48 hours per destination, thus making it 96 hours for two potential stopovers). When buying ticket you yourself can see how long time for a stopover is allowed, since you have a chance to change it and check availability of discounted ticket afterward
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
filu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:23:17 am »

Got the reply from DB :-)

Unfortunately the Europa-Spezial stopover restrictions are not the same like the ones from the TCV standard fare. With the Europa-Spezial you have to cross the border of Germany with the booked train, behind the border you can travel like you want and can make 2 stopovers, but you have to arrive your destination until the 5th February 2012 3:00 a.m. (morning).

My ticket validity starts on 3rd Februarry (However the first train I take at 22:04).

Thus the ticket seems to be valid for 2 days + 3 hours after midnight :-) This '3am' is pretty common for DB, allowing to finish the journey with late evening trains.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »

Ok, now at least we know definitely. But anyway a bit strange timing of 48 hours(+ standard DB 3am in addition), then what's the point to list 1 month validity (you mentioned in the first post)? While in real life, as far as we understand, max will be 48 hours (without stopopvers)/ 96 hours (with official 2 stopovers<24 hours)/ 144 hours (with 2 stopovers <48 hours for destinations where it's possible).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines