Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:37:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Night train from Krakow to Budapest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Night train from Krakow to Budapest  (Read 11711 times)
rellekd

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »

After Googling the above questions a bunch of times, I have come up with some very helpful answers from this site, but they are all dated over a year ago, so I figured I would ask directly to see if there have been any updates.

I'm planning to take the night train from Krakow to Budapest on May 31, 2012.  I have emailed the Pol Rail service (which I found out though this forum is an agency) and they have told me that they can sell me a ticket in a month or so.  The prices that are listed on its website seem VERY high.  They list a private berth for 808 PLN and a triple compartment for 460 PLN.  Should I bother buying with these people or wait to buy the ticket in Krakow when I arrive there on May 28?  Would I be able to get a cheaper rate for a bed in a triple compartment if I buy at the Krakow train station 2 days before my departure?

Which compartment is it better to book as a single traveler?  I can't afford the single berth, so it will either be the triple or the double.  The double is listed as 493 PLN versus the triple at 460 PLN.  The triple is only 2 PLN more that the 4 person couchette, and I think the triple comes with coffee and some kind of breakfast in the morning.  So the question then is, is it worth the 33 PLN extra to get a double rather than a triple?

Also want to add that I will be in Berlin beginning May 25, 2012.  Is it possible for me to buy the Krakow-Budapest ticket while in Berlin prior to my May 28th arrive to Krakow?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:12:33 pm by rellekd » Logged
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:29:34 am »

They list a private berth for 808 PLN and a triple compartment for 460 PLN.
Well, it's definitely too much and honestly it can be called "greediness". At the moment official fare for 1st class one-way ticket is 121 EUR + 49 EUR for a single sleeper reservation, thus it makes it around 700 PLN in total. So everything above it goes into agencies pockets. Also you should know that there is a discounted SparNight tickets available for Krakow-Budapest carriages, for single sleeper it costs 99 EUR (ticket+reservation) and anyone (including agency) having access to Polish system or ticket desk can purchase it, so it's not necessarily about 170 EUR, but can be about 99 EUR in case you (or someone for you) 'catches' discounted tickets while they still available. Our guess is that time to time agencies can even profit by selling discounted SparNight ticket for standard fare (makes it more profitable for them), thus tricking customers even more.
Regarding 3 bed compartment, 2nd class ticket cost 80,6 EUR + 14 EUR sleeper reservation, thus it makes it app.395 PLN in total, that's what you'll pay at the station. Double: same 80,6 EUR for 2nd class ticket + 21 EUR for sleeper reservation
Would I be able to get a cheaper rate for a bed in a triple compartment if I buy at the Krakow train station 2 days before my departure?
Above we gave you official fares, so guess it won't be a problem to count the difference between real fare and the agency ;)
... and I think the triple comes with coffee and some kind of breakfast in the morning.
Actually they even have pictures of the so-called 'breakfast', you can see it here, second page it's double and triple, while third page - single.
So the question then is, is it worth the 33 PLN extra to get a double rather than a triple?
Basically difference is 7 EUR, while compartment is the same (obviously besides -1 potential passenger in it). Thus the choice is yours, whether it worth it or not, 1 vs.2 potential 'roommates'. As a rule, those few carriages from Krakow to Budapest are quite popular during high-season, but still it doesn't necessarily guarantee you any company.
Is it possible for me to buy the Krakow-Budapest ticket while in Berlin prior to my May 28th arrive to Krakow?
Your actual concern is sleeper reservation, while ticket in this case is secondary, so you can buy it any time without any limitations. It's sleeper reservation that might be sold out and then there is a problem.
Regarding Berlin: good chances that reservations Krakow-Budapest are in EPA (German reservation system), and if is so, then it will be really easy to purchase such reservation in advance in Berlin (you don't need to have ticket for purchasing reservation), while ticket you can buy already in Poland.
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
rellekd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:33:25 am »

Thank you very much for the very helpful and comprehensive answer.  Best wishes.
clamen1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:21:25 pm »

We've booked with Polrail twice Krakow to Budapest - had to cancel our first trip but recently booked again. They were able to get us the sparscheine fare for a 2 bed sleeping compartment for 618 PLN + postage to mail to Canada. The final cost for 2 passengers was 572PLN.  We heard from them a couple of weeks later suggesting that we pick up the tickets in Krakow on arrival because there is no postal agreement between Poland and Canada to guarantee delivery.  When we agreed to pick up the tickets, they provided a refund for the cost of mailing the tickets. We were very happy with their prompt service and customer service.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:09 pm »

Clamen, thank you for sharing your experience. Also just an information, PKP (Polish Railways) just recently started to sell international tickets online, at the moment only to/from Germany, but officials promised to open sales also to other countries soon. So any time in future it should be possible to book tickets from Poland without using 'middle man' agencies. Since at the moment they still do charge quite a lot for their services and honestly saying that's too much: sparschiene ticket+reservation for double sleeper is 49 euro (app. 205 PLN) when bought directly from rail companies, thus making it 410 PLN for two people traveling, while the rest (in your case ~160 PLN or around 40 euro) is agency's commission
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
guinle

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:35 pm »

@Tut: Can I buy Krakow-Prague ticket in Prague? I have a friend who will go to Prague before my trip. Thanks.
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »

Can I buy Krakow-Prague ticket in Prague?
Sure, it will be even a bit cheaper, since when buying tickets between Czech Republic and Poland (doesn't matter in which direction) in Czech Republic you get discount for the Czech leg of the journey.
guinle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:07:18 am »

Thank you very much. That is very useful.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines