Europe Trains Guide Forum
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:45:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News
Welcome
Forum Stats
2813 Posts in 516 Topics by 767 Members
Latest Member: Markbut
Home Help Search Login Register
Europe Trains Guide Forum  |  General discussion  |  Train fares and tariffs  |  Budapest to Simferopole
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Budapest to Simferopole  (Read 8361 times)
Sereko

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:41:30 pm »

Hello!

I will be staying in Hungary (Gödöllő) at summer for some time and i'm thinking on going to Crimea (Simferopole) from there. I tried to search for some information how to do that cheaply, but got confused at the end. Maybe someone here can give me some advice tip about this...

As far i understood traveling by train in this case might be bit cheaper than flying, am i right? What would be best rout to take? Approximately how much time it will take? Students in Hungary have 50% discount, is it for hungarian students only or does it work also for foreign students?
tUt
Administrator

View Profile EuropeTrainsGuide
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »

...traveling by train in this case might be bit cheaper than flying, am i right?
Yes, train travel in that part of Europe is usually cheaper option. Also recently Hungarian national air carrier Malev got bankrupted, so it kind of effected flight connections between Hungary and Ukraine (they used to fly to Kiev and Odessa from Budapest) 
What would be best rout to take? Approximately how much time it will take?
Simplest and probably cheapest way to travel from Budapest to Simferopol is via Zahony-Chop-Lviv. Thus you need to catch Budapest-Zahony train, then change there for Zahony-Chop one, while from Chop you can already get direct train to Crimea. In Ukraine they will change timetable last weekend on May, so it's not yet know exactly the schedule for the summer, but almost definitely there will be direct train Uzghorod-Chop-Simferopol, just need to wait until schedules are released. If to say roughly, then Budapest-Zahony-Chop leg is around 5:30-7 hours (depending on connection), while Chop-Simferopol should be around 30 hours, unfortunately distance is rather big and train in Ukraine aren't that fast. But if you do have time, then we would suggest to travel with stopovers on the way, thus allowing you to make shorter journeys and to see some interesting places on the way (like Uzghorod, Lviv, Kiev etc.). Regarding fare: Budapest-Chop international ticket cost 17 euro, while direct domestic ticket Chop-Simferopol should be around 150 UAH 'platskarnyi' or 200+ UAH 'kupe', so it won't be a problem to travel for <40-45 euro from Budapest all the way to Simferopol.
Alternative option will be avoid long rail journeys withing Ukraine, but instead fly from Budapest to Bucharest (for instance WizzAir has some really cheap tickets for this route), then make you way north-east to Moldova and eventually Odessa, while from there you can catch a train to Simferopol. Again, roughly (if traveling without stops) you might manage in around 24 hours.
Students in Hungary have 50% discount, is it for hungarian students only or does it work also for foreign students?
50% discount in given on domestic journeys for holders of Hungarian Student Card no matter whether you citizen of Hungary or not. If you don't have it, then might work age discount for youth (<26 years old) - 33% on Fridays-Sundays.

p.s. Hungarian Railways (MAV) website (schedules and domestic fares) - http://elvira.mav-start.hu and Ukrainian (UZ) - http://uz.gov.ua/en (but remember that it won't show you summer timetable at the moment due to schedule change in late May)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Sereko

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 11:05:08 pm »

Big thank you!

This was really helpfull...
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 06:10:07 pm »

In case you decide to go via Chop, then it might make sense to buy Chop-Simferopol ticket in advance (via http://www.e-kvytok.org.ua/eng ), since Crimea it's rather popular destination during summer, thus it can be problematic to get ticket before departure.

Also, if we'll remember, then try to post here the schedule for the summer train(s) from Uzhgorod to Crimea once it's available ;)
Get 10% off your next hotel stay and support our forum by utilizing our special Booking.com partner link when you make your next hotel booking!
Sereko

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:22:41 pm »

I will keep that in mind...

Thank You!
Sereko

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:06:58 pm »

Hello again!

Our plans changed a bit, so i wanted to ask if traveling other way Simferepole - Budapest it would still be advisable to use same trains but in other direction?
tUt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:11:48 pm »

...if traveling other way Simferepole - Budapest it would still be advisable to use same trains but in other direction?
Pretty much, but on the way from Crimea it's definitely make sense to buy the ticket in advance (meaning till Lviv or Chop). At the moment no info about Uzghorod-Simferopol trains, but from Simferopol to Lviv a few are already known (#86, 13:10-13:53 and #296 22:30-00:11), other, and hopefully the one to Uzghorod via Chop, should appear any time soon
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines